Martin Gore

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't think i've heard that one. Sounds very interesting. I've to give it a listen ! :-)

sfd wrote:I don't think i've heard that one. Sounds very interesting. I've to give it a listen ! :-)
The whole Underworld album "dubnobasswithmyheadman" comes highly recommended. This is early 90's techno, more or less, but not in the strictest 909/303 sense.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:When I think of longer songs which are successful, I always go straight to Dirty Epic by Underworld. At ten minutes long, it somehow manages to maintain interest like a pop song while developing it's own unconventional structure and taking the listener on an -epic- journey, both lyrically and musically.
Also true for early Genesis (read: incl. Gabriel) and Rare Earth - to name a few.

On a side note: Attended an Underworld concert years ago. It was neither sold out, nor any sort of spirit caught the audience. In fact people were bored. :wink:

I'm embarrassed to say this. But I don't think I've ever listened to Underworld. In the 90s I listned a lot to ambient music. Kruder & Dorfmeister and some stuff by Carl Craig et cetera.

So, okay. I better upgrade myself and start listening to Underworld :-)

sfd wrote:In the 90s I listned a lot to ambient music. Kruder & Dorfmeister and some stuff by Carl Craig et cetera.
Both are anything but "ambient". ;)

Oh, you think so?
Or maybe we've different views on what ambient music is?

sfd wrote:Or maybe we've different views on what ambient music is?
That's obvious. ;)

elassi wrote:On a side note: Attended an Underworld concert years ago. It was neither sold out, nor any sort of spirit caught the audience. In fact people were bored. :wink:
Seriously? Where was that? I saw them in San Francisco, and the house was both sold out and full of energy.

This is getting a little far afield from Martin Gore, but whatever...

Dubnobasswithmyheadman is what most long-time fans still refer back to as their best work. I think they kind of lost the plot for a while there somewhere between Second Toughest in the Infants, Beaucoup Fish, and A Hundred Days Off. But that last two albums, Oblivion With Bells and Barking, were both very good IMHO.

I've never actually listened to any Gabriel-era Genesis. I suppose I should check it out.

sfd: That doesn't sound very ambient to me either! I could *maybe* have understood if you'd listed The Orb or FSOL or something. I suppose lot of guys from that era dabbled in ambient, but not exclusively. I should really dig through some of my old CDs again.

deastman wrote:Seriously? Where was that? I saw them in San Francisco, and the house was both sold out and full of energy.
In a small town called Berlin. We stood around the soundboard, enjoying ourselves (due to the situation) and wondered about the 'handful' of people near the stage. Don't get me wrong: went there because I really dig Underworld. One of the most sobering concerts I've ever visited (compared to the expectation).

elassi wrote:
deastman wrote:Seriously? Where was that? I saw them in San Francisco, and the house was both sold out and full of energy.
In a small town called Berlin. We stood around the soundboard, enjoying ourselves (due to the situation) and wondered about the 'handful' of people near the stage. Don't get me wrong: went there because I really dig Underworld. One of the most sobering concerts I've ever visited (compared to the expectation).
Well, that is rather disappointing, to say the least! I would have expected them to draw a huge crowd in Berlin. I also once saw the original incarnation of Underworld when they opened up for Eurythmics, but that was something else entirely.

Honestly I think they were already considered as being "outdated" and in fact (while looking back) it seems to be true.

Anyway, back on topic: Mr. Gore surely does not belong to the artists that stand still. :)

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”