Bandcamp very definitely ripping me off

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I paid attention to the 'revenue share' thingy last couple of sales. I don't sell for shit. But this figure was high (due to a sale of an item where the purchaser went with a very high price), so I'm not seeing a cent from sales at the moment.
I did the math. 15% of sales to arrive at that, penultimate number, and NO. They're doing creative accounting.
Last edited by jancivil on Mon May 04, 2015 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

have you contacted them to inquire what's going on?

i've never had any problems w/bandcamp. years of solid service. i've earned more on bandcamp than any other service/on line store. always accurate and on the level.

I looked kind of hard for contact info. Not the first time; I don't know how to contact them.
I tweeted this hoping it would bring them out. I'm absolutely certain of this. They say they take 15%. In fact these statements show 15.55%.
That's 55 out of 1,000 difference. Someone paid a hundred dollars over the minimum for a set and that set into motion a situation of me covering my 'revenue share' in a way I'm feeling. So I downloaded the invoice thingy and their math is creative to this degree.
Last edited by jancivil on Mon May 04, 2015 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

jancivil wrote:I don't know how to contact them.
https://bandcamp.com/contact

thank you.

No problem. Sites often hide contact information to minimize the number of support requests. The answer is to google "bandcamp contact."

I'm somewhat brain-injured not to have simply typed that into a draft in gmail, really. I was kind of livid as soon as I saw the email. "Ca-ching!" and money for them to cover this share some more again. I had done the math before and this set me off.
I'm not much of a money-grubber but it's the principle of the thing. I'm not going to sell through them moving forward, that's for sure.

What troubles me more about Bancamp, is the euro VAT issue. They claimed that "they will handle it" in a brief blog post, but it seems nothing has been done. When selling through Bandcamp, the money goes directly to you, so technically you are selling, not them, so it's not their problem, really.

This isn't major, but if I was selling like a commercial act sells it would add up. The way they time taking their cut - which I feel is a little high after selling a little - doesn't work for me. "Ca-ching!" and not one cent into paypal, what the f**k is that? Take your fideen percent out every time, I don't want zero percent of a sale.
So this just piles on this incorrect figure, I'm not going to bother with selling through them.
I have a 'donate' button on my wordpress presentation. Which is really more what it is than 'selling'.

Zombie Queen wrote:What troubles me more about Bancamp, is the euro VAT issue. They claimed that "they will handle it" in a brief blog post, but it seems nothing has been done. When selling through Bandcamp, the money goes directly to you, so technically you are selling, not them, so it's not their problem, really.
I sell on numerous sites and the VAT seems vastly ignore. They don't even give us the info we need to comply with this European tax. Bandcamp, indeed, never changed anything with their system. When musicians started leaving, they said that they would take care of it, but never did. Is it that hard to hire an accountant and a programmer?

SampleScience wrote:
Zombie Queen wrote:What troubles me more about Bancamp, is the euro VAT issue. They claimed that "they will handle it" in a brief blog post, but it seems nothing has been done. When selling through Bandcamp, the money goes directly to you, so technically you are selling, not them, so it's not their problem, really.
I sell on numerous sites and the VAT seems vastly ignore. They don't even give us the info we need to comply with this European tax. Bandcamp, indeed, never changed anything with their system. When musicians started leaving, they said that they would take care of it, but never did. Is it that hard to hire an accountant and a programmer?
as with most things tax related i'm sure that it's more nuanced that just hiring a guy.. but you have a point.

i'm guessing there is some small amount infrastructure they have to put in place to deal with it.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”