Tone 2 - Saurus 2 is available

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Saurus 4

KingTuck wrote:Tone2 don't offer sales as it devalues the product (their own words on that).
LOL!!! I always found that excuse, as well as many other arrogant statements made by Markus to be hilarious.

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Orbit-50 wrote:
KingTuck wrote:Tone2 don't offer sales as it devalues the product (their own words on that).
LOL!!! I always found that excuse, as well as many other arrogant statements made by Markus to be hilarious.

.-.
Eh, I mean it's somewhat understandable. u-he roll the same way. It's just a different business model. As a point of comparision, KV331 run sales on Synthmaster very often. This is a big part of why they also sell f**king tons of soundbanks.

deleted
Last edited by replicant X on Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Each DAW has a different sound.

Tone2 will positively respond someway like Electra 2.1 if the demand for it is high enough and upgrades/sales of Saurus 2 aren't.

If you aren't impressed by the feature set in relation to the price, don't buy it. Don't support business methods you personally aren't fond of. Saurus V1 will work just fine either way. Support what you think deserves it!

fluffy_little_something wrote:So, is there a trick to set the pitch bend range to something like 2 or 5 notes?
Heh. This.

The resolution of matrix settings is way too crude, makes this pretty much impossible AFAICS, and you can't type in a value either. You can't even see what the current setting for a preset is, because to get its value to display, you have to touch the control, changing it.

Love the synth, a lot, but this is super awkward. Unless of course I'm missing something that's supposed to be obvious, but I didn't see any replies to you question, so...

Simple solution would be for double- or maybe alt-click to open a small window where you could type in a value. Advantage of al-click is that that could be made to not change the value until you submitted a typed value. This is a mature product, many revs in, you'd think this would have been dealt with by now.

I own Rayblaster, Nemesis and Saurus 2 (and Gladiator 2). I'm pretty sure they all have the same matrix (save for Gladiator 2). Seems that not too many people mind.

Can you do it, set pitch bend to a 2 or 5 steps? If not, do you mind? I do.

I don't mean to be a jerk, just don't understand how this basic thing could be roughly speaking, impossible. Especially if it's true for several synths, from a respected and popular developer.

dwozzle wrote:Can you do it, set pitch bend to a 2 or 5 steps? If not, do you mind? I do.

I don't mean to be a jerk, just don't understand how this basic thing could be roughly speaking, impossible. Especially if it's true for several synths, from a respected and popular developer.
I've never tried doing it. It's a legitimate issue though. All I'm saying is that it seems like not many people care. As such it's unlikely to be improved/fixed anytime soon.

You could input the value by text if your DAW allows it. I know it's possible (the midi value and GUI value aren't always 1:1 though) in FL Studio. Sorry I can't be of much help. It's an understandable frustration.

I'm in Studio One. Value is displayed for the control with the focus, and some parameters on some devices can be typed in, but for everything I've tried in Saurus, you type in a value and press Enter, it reverts to the value displayed in the control, rather than changing the control.

I just tried in FL and I could input values and have them stay.

OK, in all honesty, Markus, yes, pitch bending in your instruments is a pain in the ass: a value should (and I believe could easily) be assigned from, say, a small display near the pitch bending wheel.
That said:
1 - you don't need to move the controls in the matrix to see the value you assigned to them, all you have to do is hover the mouse over them.
2 - you can tell what note you reach by bending it while increasing the value in the matrix. Not so terribly difficult, while extremely uncomfortable, if you're a musician. Once you know the number, all you have to do is write it down (five tones is 18, two is 6, for example). People who use(d) modulars had to write down every single combination and they survived, so I guess this is not going to kill anybody. However, I agree that it definitely might/should be a lot simpler than this. I think all those who are bothered by this should write Tone2 and complain about it, that could be useful to both the users and the developers.

Setting the pitchbend by mod matrix has it's perks - you can bend different oscillators by differing amounts. But I agree, a global value in semitones is pretty much a standard feature and if it were implimented, life would be easier, you could save on matrix assignments, and still set it to zero if you want to handle bending via the matrix.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Orbit-50 wrote:

.-.
How so? U-he springs to mind (as op mentioned as well).

It's no wonder that Plugin Alliance don't do so many facebook $99 flash sales anymore. Now everyone has loads of PA's stuff. People believe that they can get any of their products for 99 bucks (if they wait). So it certainly does devalue your products if your strategy is managed badly.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Robmobius wrote: So it certainly does devalue your products if your strategy is managed badly.
I agree.

dwozzle wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:So, is there a trick to set the pitch bend range to something like 2 or 5 notes?
Heh. This.

The resolution of matrix settings is way too crude, makes this pretty much impossible AFAICS, and you can't type in a value either. You can't even see what the current setting for a preset is, because to get its value to display, you have to touch the control, changing it.

Love the synth, a lot, but this is super awkward. Unless of course I'm missing something that's supposed to be obvious, but I didn't see any replies to you question, so...

Simple solution would be for double- or maybe alt-click to open a small window where you could type in a value. Advantage of al-click is that that could be made to not change the value until you submitted a typed value. This is a mature product, many revs in, you'd think this would have been dealt with by now.
Exactly. I asked them about it and some other issues, and they replied that what I am looking for can all be found in Electra, so I should consider buying a crossgrade. But that would have cost me another 80 euros, i.e. I would have gotten Electra for 180 euros, 30 above the regular price. No way, Electra is way too much for my modest needs...

Regarding pitch bend range in particular they said that they have to keep it the way it is because of downward compatibility, although they admit it is far from ideal. I don't really understand that, though. They could have added a correct solution like on Retrologue as an alternative one, so that when loading old patches the wrong implementation gets switched on, and when you make new patches you can choose which one you want.

I suppose most people don't bother, but I mainly use synths for bass lines with a lot of pitch bending these days, and it has to be precise for that. So I will sell Saurus.

Another reason is the monophonic mode, which comes with attack noise I don't like. There too they told me Electra is what I am looking for as it has a 1-voice polyphonic mode, which delivers consistent punch, unlike Saurus' mono mode. Frankly, I did not like either mono mode on Electra, either, one tends to click, the other produces a different kind of noise, almost like static noise from vinyl records. Of course one has to listen carefully to hear it, I use a sine signal or another signal with very low cutoff to make it more audible.

Return to “Instruments”