[MDrummer] Archive option explained

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks for detailing the purge option ... helps a lot.

And yes, after importing an archive I saved it as a drumset and that is why it was showing up in the imports.

--------------------------------------------------

One possible option for renamed folders or moved samples is the search/repopulate option that is present in both Reaper (RS5K) and TX16WX.

Both of them do the following if they do not find the needed sample in the correct location :

-They ask you to locate the missing sample using "search in (user defined folder) folder"
- Once you have selected the correct sample, thye auto-populate the rest of the samples / kit assuming the folder structure is the same as the orginal path.

MeldaProduction wrote:Ok, so are there questions for me ? :D :D
:D
Yes there is :

Is there a way to avoid the present beahviour of exact folders / path recreation in the imported folder when an archive is loaded ? It would be much simpler if it :

- Either recreated the last level only (the heirarchy level that contains the folders containing the samples themselves).

OR

- Dumped all the samples used in an archive into a single folder (with renaming and updating the drumset in case of duplicates)

Is either of these options doable / implementable (when its MD's turn for updating) ?
:)

Hmmm, I'll think about it - there are several problems really - I'd suggest doing a completely different thing - simply move all samples to MDrummer factory content, in a single folder say "MuslimPunk" :) and use this one. Then MDrummer should indeed replicate just the last item. If you insist of having samples elsewhere (note that users of your drumset will have it inside factory content anyway, so why shouldn't you :) ), I'll see about it for the next update. I'm not sure at the moment, so I don't want to spit nonsense here :D
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote:Hmmm, I'll think about it - there are several problems really - I'd suggest doing a completely different thing - simply move all samples to MDrummer factory content, in a single folder say "MuslimPunk" :) and use this one. Then MDrummer should indeed replicate just the last item. If you insist of having samples elsewhere (note that users of your drumset will have it inside factory content anyway, so why shouldn't you :) ), I'll see about it for the next update. I'm not sure at the moment, so I don't want to spit nonsense here :D
Going with the option you gave , of manually cooying the files to Mdrummer directory :
One possible option is the search/repopulate option that is present in both Reaper (RS5K) and TX16WX.

Both of them do the following if they do not find the needed samples in the correct location :

-They ask you to locate the missing sample using "search in (user defined) folder"
- Once you have selected the correct sample, thye auto-populate the rest of the samples / kit assuming the folder structure is the same as the orginal path.

This way i would not have to build my kits from scratch from a new location.

Also i could just send the mdrummer sound settings files to people who already have the samples ( withput them needing to download it all again ). MD would ask them where the samples are located and BAM ! They have a working drumkit.

Well, that could be an option, the problem is there is a huge chance of collision - e.g. Snare 01.wav... how many of those probably exists... Anyway if you have a big drumset which would take a lot of time to fix, send the drumset file to me info@meldaproduction.com, I have tools to actually "look into it and fix it" :).
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Muslimpunk,
while this dilemma exists, and if you don't mind people glimpsing your personal file structure, maybe the best thing for now is to stick with the way you've done it, but include a readme in your package which explains:
1) that loading your archive will copy the sample files to the MD factory path 'Samples/Imported' and that the strange file path that appears in the browser is just a nominal reference to your original path.
2) that after loading the archive the drumset should be saved as 'SM Drums V1' inside a created folder 'Muslimpunk'.
3) that once the drumset is saved, the archive is not needed and can be deleted.

Something like that.

Incredible drumset, I've been vaguely following it's development over on the Reaper forum but great to have it available in MDrummer. :clap:

Muslimpunk,
in the readme, you could also explain that if the user wanted your drums to be included in MD's drumset generating process, then each drumtype in the drumlist would have to be saved as a component. For example: Bass drum 1 saved to Components/Bass/Muslimpunk/SM drums V1/kik stereo RR1 (The extra non factory path steps in bold would have to be created). BTW, if I load that component, all its layers are loaded.
I wonder though whether your drums being quieter than most of MD's would cause incompatibility when generating...perhaps not...does MD adjust volumes when generating...Vojtech? (I know that automatic volume adjustment occurs when creating components using the 'Main menu/Analyse and import sample library' , but this is not what we're talking about here.)
Anyway, this whole saving as components thing probably warrants another topic. :hyper:

Thanks for the nice comments goldglob.

I do agree, a readme file would go a long way in such a case.

I have a question : why does the user need to create a directory called "muslimpunk" ? he/she could save a drumset or a component in any of the existing folders or subfolders.

One more , and very embarassiing question : how do i define the choke group for the hihats.. i want the hihat, open and epdal to choke each other for my SM Drums, but I cant find the setting.. maybe i knew it initally or forgot or .... :oops:

Thanks for the nice comments goldglob.

I do agree, a readme file would go a long way in such a case.

I have a question : why does the user need to create a directory called "muslimpunk" ? he/she could save a drumset or a component in any of the existing folders or subfolders.

One more , and very embarassiing question : how do i define the choke group for the hihats.. i want the hihat, open and epdal to choke each other for my SM Drums, but I cant find the setting.. maybe i knew it initally or forgot or .... :oops:

Further to the above, I did another test.

1. Placed a set of samples in subfolders in the Samples > Imported directory of MD.
2. Made a drumset out of it.
3. Saved as an archive.
4. Reloaded as an archive.
5. Works perfectly with no xtra paths created.
6. saved as a drumset in a folder called "Suleiman".

Sometimes i do regret the nic muslimpunk.:D

muslimpunk wrote:....

Yes, you can just save to existing folders but to me it makes sense to create the extra folders for two reasons.
1) I can identify quickly anything that is non factory...say I'm creating a kit...ah yes I think, now where is that great snare of muslimpunk's.
2) If my hard drive dies and I have to reinstall MD from scratch, I can easily find the added non factory stuff in a backup.

Choke groups: Select HH in the drum list> tick Open (HH will close Open)...and so on.

muslimpunk wrote:Further to the above, I did another test.

1. Placed a set of samples in subfolders in the Samples > Imported directory of MD.
2. Made a drumset out of it.
3. Saved as an archive.
4. Reloaded as an archive.
5. Works perfectly with no xtra paths created.
6. saved as a drumset in a folder called "Suleiman".

Sometimes i do regret the nic muslimpunk.:D
Yes, that solves the strange, ungainly, messy, skeletal, nominal, invasion of privacy, xtra paths problem (I enjoyed saying that), and gives what I as the recipient want to see, but when in future you load your drumset it will be looking for the samples in the imported directory, which means that if you want to keep your original directory intact you'll have to have the samples in two places (2x space on hard drive). I can see how your search/populate suggestion would solve this...do as above to create archive (nice for me), then delete the samples in your imported folder, then have MD find them in your original location when you load your drumset...makes sense.

BTW, are you a punk? :clown:

goldglob wrote:
muslimpunk wrote:....

Yes, you can just save to existing folders but to me it makes sense to create the extra folders for two reasons.
1) I can identify quickly anything that is non factory...say I'm creating a kit...ah yes I think, now where is that great snare of muslimpunk's.
2) If my hard drive dies and I have to reinstall MD from scratch, I can easily find the added non factory stuff in a backup.

Choke groups: Select HH in the drum list> tick Open (HH will close Open)...and so on.
Yes agreed. It makes a lot of sense for organizational / backup purposes.
And yes , I got the chokes to work too.
Expect the official SM Drums MD version soon. :)

goldglob wrote:Yes, that solves the strange, ungainly, messy, skeletal, nominal, invasion of privacy, xtra paths problem (I enjoyed saying that), and gives what I as the recipient want to see, but when in future you load your drumset it will be looking for the samples in the imported directory, which means that if you want to keep your original directory intact you'll have to have the samples in two places (2x space on hard drive). I can see how your search/populate suggestion would solve this...do as above to create archive (nice for me), then delete the samples in your imported folder, then have MD find them in your original location when you load your drumset...makes sense.

BTW, are you a punk? :clown:
Yes, it would mean double the HD space used. The searcg/re-populate option is the solution to most of this, but we just need to convince Vojtech :D

I want to publicly apologize for the juvenile nic. Once , in 1997 , I made an email address by that name ...at that time I was a confused young stoner who was somewhat a muslim and fancied himself a punk (rocker / activist). 18 years later , I am still not sure what I am .....but I'm not a punk and too liberal for most muslims.

Since I am asking random MD questions anyways :
How to I set the same envelope for all the velocity layers of a particular compenent (for eg: bass drum) ? I have upto 30 velocity layers in some cases and dont fancy trying to set the exact same envelope for al of them one by one.

"How to I set the same envelope for all the velocity layers"

You can do this with the little copy and paste buttons in the Layer Source bar, but best to do this immediately after adding your first layer before even choosing further samples and adjusting their individual layer settings:

Add first layer. Draw envelope (you'll have to select a sample to access this). Copy. Add 2nd layer. Paste. Do this 30 times. All layers will have the same envelope.
Now go back and set up your layers with specific samples and settings; the envelope stays the same.

Return to “MeldaProduction”