Ardour 4.0 released (Linux, Mac and Windows)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey Paul, I appreciate you being here supporting what is largely a free application. Much respect. :tu:

I plan to put the manual on my iPad or something and study up on it when time permits but I do have one (RTFM) question for someone who's probably more adept with it being the creator, bussing. Say I have a group of drum tracks that I want to throw into a Drums bus, exclusively, out of the master, what in your opinion would be the quickest or easiest way to get that done in Ardour?

Thanks in advance.

LawrenceF wrote: Say I have a group of drum tracks that I want to throw into a Drums bus, exclusively, out of the master, what in your opinion would be the quickest or easiest way to get that done in Ardour?
Create the drum group (I believe you already know how to do this). Right click on the group tab. Click on "Add new subgroup bus".

Done. All outputs from the drum tracks are disconnected from master, reconnected to the new bus (which is named after the group), and the bus feeds master.

Unless I misunderstood your question.

Ah.... that's what I missed. If the tracks are already in a group they can all be thrown into a bus directly.

Thanks a lot Paul. :tu: :party:

Once I get more settled in with it I'll make some short videos on some of that stuff for people like myself who don't yet have a clue. I'm still nodding my head in wonder over that track grouping design, that's the easiest and most logical design I've ever seen anywhere for that. The tabs, nice, once you see it and use it you wonder why nobody ever thought of that before.

Ardour's routing is so ... flexible... it's going to take me awhile to learn it. Yesterday I inadvertently created a third channel on my master bus and couldn't figure out how to remove it. I need to read the manual before going much farther.

dawhead wrote:
clintmartin wrote:When using "edit zoom project" it will compact the tracks (wav forms) to fill the screen. Is there a way to expand/compact the height of the tracks to fill the screen?
select desired tracks. press "f" ("fill").
Can I make "Logarithmic" the default wav form view?
Should stick as a preference. If not, please file it as a bug.
Thanks! I am reading the manual, but I'm very new to Ardour. I appreciate your help.

sqigls wrote:OSX 10.8.5 x64 version crashes every time i scan plugins.
It would be nice to get to the bottom of this.

Ardour does blacklist plugins that fail or crash and they should be ignored next time around (the Log window will also have an entry for those). It's likely a specific plugin that eludes the blacklist for one reason or another. Eventually we need to understand what the issue is before it can be fixed and the first step is to find which plugin(s) cause(s) the issue.

It'd be great if you could provide further information. Please join us on IRC (Menu > Help > Chat) or file a bug ticket on http://tracker.ardour.org/ include the output of "auval -a" (list of all plugins).

fedexnman wrote:Ardour 2 (Mixbuss) was good for recording audio , but I had problems with Ardour 3 with audio drop outs and just weird buggy behavior , but don't know if it was A3 or just the Linux distro I was using or both . Sounds to me like 4 will be a good release a lot of people helped develop it and fund it , so this exciting news . Also the move away from Jack(optional) and also a Windows version seems a step in the right direction . As for its midi stuff , we'll see I know A3 was very midi juniorish .... Anyways its good news for everyone that wants a cheap host and also tells you Mixbuss2 on Windows/Mac/and Linux is not to far away .
mixbus 2.5 is here already what we need is mixbus with midi/vsti support which they said
would be on the to-do list for V3, mixbus is already on windows since 2.0

My bad !

dawhead wrote: Right click on the group tab. Click on "Add new subgroup bus".
Clicking this does create absolutely nothing. In fact, nothing happens at all. The same is true for the two "Add new Aux Bus" options...

I am using Ardour 4.0.0 in Elementary OS Luna.

It works just fine (as confirmed by another user above). There must be some minor conceptual gap ... maybe you could join us on IRC for clarification. See http://ardour.org/support for details. IRC is about 1000% better than web forums for user support in matters where rapid feedback between users and developers is helpful.

Numanoid wrote:..amd Windows :?

Only works on computers using AMD processors? :clown:
This isn't true. I have Windows 7 with intel i7. Works great.

One awesome feature is now well it handles presets for vsts. It can add to fpl, which I don't know any other daw which can. Makes working with glass viper fun again.

Overall, very cool. Once multitimbral vsti's get sorted, it's got win written all over it! I'll definitely have to keep track of this.
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
--
Pooter | Software | Akai MPK-61 | Line 6 Helix | Dynaudio BM5A mk II

urlwolf wrote:One awesome feature is now well it handles presets for vsts. It can add to fpl, which I don't know any other daw which can. Makes working with glass viper fun again.
Hi, what's "fpl"?

I'm getting the error message - Could not create session in "C:\Users\user\Music\Projects\Ardour Test" - when trying to start a new session on the Windows version ('Ardour Test' was just what I called my project). I've tried different locations and my user account is the administrator so I don't think it's a permission problem. Anyone else have this problem? (and solution?)
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

kmatheussen wrote:
urlwolf wrote:One awesome feature is now well it handles presets for vsts. It can add to fpl, which I don't know any other daw which can. Makes working with glass viper fun again.
Hi, what's "fpl"?
Whatever the format for banks is called (the standard one Steinberg introduced with vst). I may have mistyped it, confusing it with the one FL studio uses. Sorry about that.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”