Omnisphere 2 First Impressions?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

cowby wrote:I was just trapped in the challenge code thing. Sent email to the support team (techshop) more than 40 hrs but still no reply

Well finally got my files downloaded and installed. Everything went smoothly.

Initial reaction - blown away by the presets of Omni 2. Such good stuff in there. And the EDM library even has tons of good stuff for not just dance and dubstep etc. Can be used for lots of styles.

One thing I didn't think about before was that now with all the new effects, I guess the orb is even more versatile because there is more variety for it to draw from.

Loving having the Trilian interface inside Omni. That was a smart way to have both the macros and have access to the Omnisphere controls. It would have made more sense to have the toggle button from Omni to Trilian and vice verse in the same place though. You have to move your mouse to different areas to switch back and forth.

I think I am going to be lost in the presets....there is a LOT of them here.

Here we go preset spelunking....
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

first impressions... Omni 2 is everything i thought it would be... just a beautiful piece of software... worth the wait!!!

Late to the party. Got an i5 quad core with Win7. 16 GB RAM. Can i run it smoothly? I can do Kontakt and Engine and EastWestPLAY no problem.

How big is the whole library anyway? (late to the party, sorry for that)
Finally!

Im having huge issues with the Orb and its irratating the crap out of me!!!! :x
Had same problem with Omni1.
Firstly, 2 bars and 4 bars doesnt work! When you switch to either and hit rec nothing gets recorded.
Secondly, 1 bar only starts recording at the second bar in your DAW song position.
Song position and legato made no difference whatsoever. Unbelievable!!!!
Is anyone else experiencing the same?

After reading all this dubstep-is-too-harsh-and-I-hate-it stuff my interest was piqued and I tried to find some of this aggressive stuff but so far all that I've been able to find is disappointingly meek. Would anybody care to give me some song titles to check out to see if the stuff discussed here actually lives up to the hype? (Am I right in assuming that early dubstep sounded more like dub with that wobble bass added? I found some stuff like that too and some of it was pretty nice so I'd also be grateful for any recommendations of such things. That didn't sound aggressive though so I don't believe it could be what people here had in mind.)

EDIT: I started listening through that video that Codestation posted on page 15, around 20 minutes in there is some stuff that was pretty nice. I looked at the youtube page and found that it was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu86NcPJ_zg Pretty nice, a little bit like what I imagine Merzbow might sound like if Akita used beats and some pads in addition to his noisescapes. Is that the kind of stuff some of you had in mind? (Also, can I tell KVR to not embed the video somehow?)
Last edited by pilgrim_heart on Mon May 04, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

And a more on-topic question: how do you find the new oscillator wavetables? What kind of things can you find in there? I think Eric mentioned something about Prophet12 stuff, are there lots of nice synth waveforms?

And what about the new filters? Anything that can compare with the stuff in e.g. Monark or Diva?

cyphersuit wrote:Late to the party. Got an i5 quad core with Win7. 16 GB RAM. Can i run it smoothly?
Should run fine.
How big is the whole library anyway?
About 60GB.

firepile wrote:
About 60GB.
If you include Trilian and the Moog set it's very close to 100GB at about 96GB.

The Diego Stocco instrument sound sources are pretty darn cool. Love all that bowed weirdness and modified doublebass/cello type stuff.

I do with that once the modulation is brought up on the side, that you click any control and see the modulations right away, rather than constantly digging through the right click menu. And perhaps a lock to stay on the current one.

bmrzycki wrote:
firepile wrote:
About 60GB.
96GB? Wow, that is close to 100GB, isn't it.

basslinemaster wrote:
bmrzycki wrote:
firepile wrote:
About 60GB.
96GB? Wow, that is close to 100GB, isn't it.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Robert

pilgrim_heart wrote:And a more on-topic question: how do you find the new oscillator wavetables? What kind of things can you find in there? I think Eric mentioned something about Prophet12 stuff, are there lots of nice synth waveforms?

And what about the new filters? Anything that can compare with the stuff in e.g. Monark or Diva?
There's a huge variety in the wavetables - in the analogue sawtooth category alone you have about 40. I was going to type them but then I have a brief glimpse at my own mortality. There's ARPs, Rolands, Moogs, Oberheims, Prophet, Tetra, Virus.... and that's just one sub-category of one category. It's great that they all morph - you have your obvious PWMs but lots of odder funkier things in there too. It's actually pretty daunting, there are now 400 jumping off points... and that's just the in built synth, never mind the soundsources.

I'll make no claim to be the world's greatest filter expert, but there's an oil-tanker full that sound good to me. It's hard not to get carried away by the wilder ones - this uses a filter called Metal Pipe as the basis for its madness (along with some waveform morphing etc):

MP3 demo - https://app.box.com/s/2xqiiaev764gb58jyn8s5mlxo4bh54jc

The patch itself (should anyone be wanting to remake Alien any time soon) - https://app.box.com/s/yja53lfgyzjkli29eb3jaba8qz5o0pzd
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

The pipeflters have always been my fav in Omni. They work great with the many phrase loops in Omni2!

Return to “Instruments”