A trip to the moon - an orchestral score

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, everyone! Since I mostly do commercial work for TV (jingles, jingles and more jingles), I have never really posted anything here. A few days ago, however, I finished up a score for the 1902 sci-fi classic "Le Voyage dans la Lune" by Georges Méliès. It sort of started out as an excercise in orchestration, but soon veered off into its own thing. I am more than a little proud of my efforts, not because I view this as the "be-all and end-all" score for the film - that award probably goes to Air - but because it is the first work I have completed on my own time for many, many years.

Comments are of course welcome, although I will be honest upfront and say that I probably will leave the work as it is for now. As you all know, the music we make can always be bettered in some way, but I personally feel that it is necessary to "commit to tape" at some stage or another.

Instruments used are mostly VSL Appassionata Strings I and II and VSL Opus I and II. The score also features the Musical Saw from Sampleism during the "Lunar exploration theme" appearing about half way into the film.

So - here goes: 14 and a half minute of adventure, action, scantily clad women and monsters. I hope to evoke in you some of the same joy I had in working on this, but i will also settle for a simple pat on the back and a "Keep practicing, you'll get there eventually". I thank you in advance for your interest and patience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikMN8MZKfPo

I really enjoyed this. I think your orchestration is strong, and I especially liked the moon exploration theme with the saw. I do find the brass elements to be less convincing than the other orchestral elements (and hence, a bit distracting). That might just be an unavoidable limitation of the sample library that you're using, though.

Still, like I said, very good work. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for the positive feedback, David. I gave a quick listen to the first three works on your soundcloud, and if I may say so, I feel we are somewhat musically related;).

I absolutely agree about the brass. I guess the problem lies somewhere between my somewhat sloppy programming and the limitations to the brass in Opus I. I have had my eye on Vienna Dimension Brass for some time now, and will probably make it my next purchase.

Glad you liked it!

Well done! This was a pleasure to watch and listen to. I have to say I can't hear the "less than convincing" brass aspect mentioned above, but then again I may not have an ear for that. I would love to see what you would do with 'The Haunted House' by Segundo de Chomón. ;)

Yes, Vienna Dimension Brass looks like a good library. I hadn't paid attention to it before, but I just listened to some of their samples, and I'm liking what I hear. The only decent brass library I have is Cinesamples' Cinebrass Core. I think it's great for short notes, but it has its limitations, too.

And yes, I do agree that there is a relationship between our compositional styles. Lots of similar influences, I would think! And thanks for listening to my Soundcloud!

Thank you for the kind words, Ridan! I just checked out "The haunted house" - what a great movie! I have had a life-long love affair with horror movies ever since watching "Alien" at a friends house as a kid, so you never know... :wink:

I'm giving this a little bump just to see if anyone else might be interested :wink:

Return to “Music Cafe”