Various issues with 'Bounce in place' feature

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have only done some very limited testing (since I typically prefer not to bounce to audio if I can avoid it), but it seems to me that the "bounce in place" feature does not work properly.

I have captured a few of the issues I encountered so far in this video (39MB .MP4).

There seem to be a number of issues with this feature:

- Even though the note clip was the only clip on the track, the track may still get converted to a hybrid track. This is obviously not in line with the description in the User Guide, section 11.2.2, p. 242:
Since this was the only note clip on the track, Bitwig Studio has converted it from an instrument track to an audio track while preserving the entire device chain.

If there were no other note clips on the track, it would have been converted from an instrument track to a hybrid track.
- Even though the track has now become a hybrid track, the Detail Panel Editor does not show Audio Editor and Note Editor buttons. This is obviously not in line with the description in the User Guide, section 11.2.2, p. 243:
Since hybrid tracks allow both audio and note clips to be present, the Detail Panel Editor now has its Audio Editor and Note Editor buttons to keep things straight.
- Another (minor) issue is that Bitwig Studio may produce an audible 'tail' artefact when bouncing and analysis of onsets finishes.

- The analysis of onsets may miss some relatively obvious transients - but I guess that should be expected to happen with a one-size-fits-all analysis. A configurable sensitivity setting for analysis of onsets would probably be very useful.

- More importantly, the recorded audio may have a gap at the start of the audio file, and as a result, all its onsets (transients) may be offset, so that they do not line up with the grid (while the corresponding note events are placed exactly on the grid, and the used sound has an immediate 'attack').

- Automatically setting the clip start to the first onset (i.e. the next one after its current start position) seems to work very strangely: one apparently has to click '<< Onset' to slide the start to the previous onset rather than the next one. This seems very inconsistent and counter-intuitive.

- After editing the resulting audio clip to make onsets line up (better) with the grid, the audio clip may audibly go out of sync with the project. Deactivating (all) the device(s) on the track does not fix this; only removing (all) the device(s) on the track does. But having to remove the instrument device chain entirely arguably implies missing the whole point of having hybrid tracks in the first place.

So it appear that the bounced audio clips are slid same amount as the synth delays?

I'm noticing something with my bounced in place midi, the subsequent audio file loses pitch when the speed is changed.

I've been experimenting with 'Bounce in place' on audio tracks, and it seems to do essentially nothing. This is fine in a way, as I assume it is bouncing 'pre-fx'. But I don't see any way to customize the operation. Various choices are offered with the normal bouncing feature and it seems like a waste not to have the same option with bounce in place as regular bouncing.

The rest of the issues you mention sound like pretty serious showstoppers, to be honest :(

Lucky for me I don't do much bouncing in place of MIDI at the moment.

I bounce so much in my workflow.. And i experience the same things as Ch00rD.
But not all the time thats so strange , when i for example make a loose jazzbeat tight on the beat and bounce in place its good,but when working with midi this occurs.
Im certaintly they are aware of the issue and will solve this... Dont know when but im sure it WILL be fixed.

Fingers crossed.

Is there and in between solution like Cubase's track freeze?

GhostPlayer wrote:Is there and in between solution like Cubase's track freeze?
- Duplicate track to be "frozen" - deactivate original
- Bounce(in place) copied track

If not happy - delete bouced track and activate original make changes and repeat. Bit laborious - but there u go.

Fjorko wrote:
GhostPlayer wrote:Is there and in between solution like Cubase's track freeze?
- Duplicate track to be "frozen" - deactivate original
- Bounce(in place) copied track

If not happy - delete bouced track and activate original make changes and repeat. Bit laborious - but there u go.
Great idea for a workaround! I do hope they implement track freezing though.

Ha !! Nice one :tu:

Whats daft is, that is exactly what I used to do before track freeze existed. :clown:
I guss I've become way to accustomed to just pressing one little button :wink:

-
Last edited by GhostPlayer on Fri May 08, 2015 8:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ch00rD wrote:- After editing the resulting audio clip to make onsets line up (better) with the grid, the audio clip may audibly go out of sync with the project. Deactivating (all) the device(s) on the track does not fix this; only removing (all) the device(s) on the track does. But having to remove the instrument device chain entirely arguably implies missing the whole point of having hybrid tracks in the first place.
Doesn't it need to be that way because you might still have midi clips on the track? the audio is offset to account for the pdc of the plugins, but the audio clip is not going through the plug-ins so it is not delayed by them. Thus the offset in the audio to keep it in sync.

That does not seem like a bug, but a design limitation of having hybrid tracks.

This wasn't a "bounce in place" just a normal "bounce"... But is it normal for the onsets to be off this (pic below) much when zoomed in? (placed by bitwig, not me)

http://postimg.org/image/5dqlcbftj/

And the second half of that bounced audio file will not play, but it will play sometimes if i try reopening the project. (pretty sure this part will be fixed in 1.2 though)

I prefer to bounce to another track, but I have the same issue. I try bouncing from an instrument track and sometimes it works but most times it doesn't do anything, it just creates an empty (silent) track. Sometimes I try like ten times, trying different bounce options wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

rocolin wrote:I prefer to bounce to another track, but I have the same issue. I try bouncing from an instrument track and sometimes it works but most times it doesn't do anything, it just creates an empty (silent) track. Sometimes I try like ten times, trying different bounce options wondering if I'm doing something wrong.
I had to go pre-mixer every time to get bounces... doesn't bother me any, though

Return to “Bitwig”