One Synth Challenge #75: PG-8X (Jasinski Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

Chris-S wrote:
GrokSynth wrote:I read somewhere that a patch on the JX8P was used in the Twin Peaks soundtrack.
Do you mean THIS sound?

https://youtu.be/dTp6d7Bw79A
(at 0:00)

EDIT: According to google this is a bass guitar, so no synth involved. :hihi:
But the strings at 5:10 could be JX8P. :tu:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soundtrack_From_Twin_Peaks
lists two persons at synthsizers.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/jx10.php
lists Angelo Badalamenti as JX-10 user, but not for JX-8P. So possible similar sounds ;)

Yeah, the CPU-hunger is quite big. And even after quitting the session, not Logic itself, it still shows some CPU-usage:
Screen Shot 2015-05-04 at 13.15.37.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

deft_bonz wrote:Yeah, the CPU-hunger is quite big. And even after quitting the session, not Logic itself, it still shows some CPU-usage:
Screen Shot 2015-05-04 at 13.15.37.png
As you seem to be using Logic: One reason might be that this AU beta-build was compiled with debug flags and without optimization on.

But, it has been reported earlier in this thread, that some observe high CPU only if no notes are playing, which might point towards denormal issues (although I thought I got the better of them... Well....)

Is that the case for you too?

Cheers,
Martin

A question to Logic Pro X users:

I have installed the discontinued MAC-AU version (PG8X-01-02-2015.component.zip) of PG-8X. I encounter the following problem, even if I'm just using the INIT patch. When I create the third instrument track and play a note, the sound is heavily distorted... on all three tracks (CPU usage stays very low). After deleting any one of the three tracks the sound is normal again. I tried to change Logic's preferences settings but this didn't help. Can you run more than two instrument tracks? Any idea how I could fix this?

I was able to run the PG-8X VST version in Logic Pro X via Soundflower and VST Lord but this allowed me to play just one patch at once :(

Thanks for your help!

My system: MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X 10.10.3, Logic Pro X 10.1.1

Awesome! I hope I can manage to take part the time! Wonderful selection. Back to the 80s :party:

mcaitch wrote:A question to Logic Pro X users:

I have installed the discontinued MAC-AU version (PG8X-01-02-2015.component.zip) of PG-8X. I encounter the following problem, even if I'm just using the INIT patch. When I create the third instrument track and play a note, the sound is heavily distorted... on all three tracks (CPU usage stays very low). After deleting any one of the three tracks the sound is normal again. I tried to change Logic's preferences settings but this didn't help. Can you run more than two instrument tracks? Any idea how I could fix this?

I was able to run the PG-8X VST version in Logic Pro X via Soundflower and VST Lord but this allowed me to play just one patch at once :(

Thanks for your help!

My system: MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X 10.10.3, Logic Pro X 10.1.1
No issues here like you decribe. I run more than 11 instances without distortion. But the CPU is almost used up. That's all. I use Mavericks 10.9.5 and Logic 10.1.1

The Chorus labels for Depth and Speed seem to be swapped around. Hovering the mouse pointer over the Depth knob shows the value for Speed in the info box, and vice versa.

deft_bonz wrote:
mcaitch wrote:A question to Logic Pro X users:

Thanks for your help!

No issues here like you decribe. I run more than 11 instances without distortion. But the CPU is almost used up. That's all. I use Mavericks 10.9.5 and Logic 10.1.1
Many thanks for your fast reply! Good to hear that it should be possible to run it with Logic Pro X 10.1.1. Hope I can fix it soon on my system.

Hey btw. I doubt that PG-8X is still using synthedit as gui, since synthedit is not cross platform.

BTW I forgot to count the FX-sounds... I'm running over 20 instances at the moment. But I had to freeze 10 otherwise my system would freeze :D

Just for fun, heres a nice preset i made yesterday whilst testing some stuff out.

Pretty fat for a Roland. (Play in Bass range.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Just made some modifications to my uplifting trance track for this OSC, I'm quite happy with the result ;)
https://soundcloud.com/krisl/reefius-explode

martin_l wrote:
mehum wrote: Yeah, I got that :)
But I have already made the sounds in separate instances of the synth. When I save a patch in one instance it's not automatically transferred to the banks of the other instances (perhaps that is Reaper specific behaviour though?) so I'd have to save each sound as a separate patch, then load them one and one into one instance of PG8X and save them into a new bank. So I'll just save each patch and put them in the zip instead :)
Hi, you are right. This is not reaper specific.

At startup (in a new project) the synth does not load any bank by default.
You can give it a default bank via the pg8x.ini file. Add the line:

Code: Select all

DEFAULT_BANK=...
However, note that this bank will only be read by new projects, and will not automatically be saved.

When you save a project, the host will save the state of each instance separately. If you have made changes to some patches in some instances, the safest way is to safe these as *.pg8xpreset, and then load them in the other instance, if needed.
I guess I start to understand. No wonder that I didn`t understand what Mehum was talking about, because I handle all this completely different.

I always save each patch first as vst preset. I do this because:
- It is saved for sure,
- it is very fast and uncomplicated available on each additional instance,
- I simply can collect all what I produce and make my decision which ones I wish to have on a final soundbank later.

Apart from that I save each patch twice (I`m a control freak :lol: ). I save it as vst preset and in the case of PG8X I saved each patch as syx. and put it in one of my own folders. If I wish to make a soundbank I simply load my vst presets and select from them whatever I like, that`s way faster than to select one of the syx. presets from my folder.

@mehum: This could be also a solution for your problem (for the case that the Default bank from martin_l not works or making problems). Save all your patches as vst preset, because they are quickly available at each instance. Load them and put on the bank what you like, that should be the fastest and easiest way.

@martin_l: Thanks for the Synth and especially thanks for the great support here at the thread :)
Simplicity without a name, is free from all external aim. With no desire, at rest and still,
all things go right as of their will.
Daodejing verse 37

Reefius wrote:Just made some modifications to my uplifting trance track for this OSC, I'm quite happy with the result ;)
no matter how good your song is, you should never be happy with it ;)

keith303 wrote:
Reefius wrote:Just made some modifications to my uplifting trance track for this OSC, I'm quite happy with the result ;)
no matter how good your song is, you should never be happy with it ;)
Well, perhaps if it's made you a fortune...

Return to “Instruments”