is there any program or vst that allows midi quantizing by stretching instead of moving?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

basically I'm looking to quantize my midi, but I want to keep the distance between the end and beginning of new notes the same, so basically instead of moving the notes to quantize, it would stretch them.

I can do it manually in Ableton but if there's a program that do it it'd be even better.

I'm not sure there is (although I'm happy to be proved wrong).

How often do you find this a problem? It might be that as you improve as a keyboard player that this becomes less of a problem - I certainly found that.
Sweet child in time...

I don't know what you mean. You appear to want stretching that does not resize. It's counter-intuitive to me. I don't know what you're quantizing to, & conceptually snapping values to a grid through stretching mystifies me.

Wouldn't this be the same as quantizing only note-on?
I think it exists.

But in real life, this could mean negative duration on some notes and must be handled.

I don't use quantize, so I have no input or suggestions...

The word 'stretching' normally indicates 'making longer'.

What are you stretching? To quantize notes, you're moving the note-on to a defined grid. Stretching means you're extending the length of notes. Stretching a note from its end would not tend to change the beginning position through itself. So I don't get the use of "stretching" to indicate what must be moving notes.

So I'm just unclear on the goal. I can say this, in Cubase you can stretch the part and the subsequent new value - in terms of the start of the note - can be snapped to the grid. Stretching the part is resizing everything. But I have no idea how the new notes would be, or why they should be subject to a different modus operandi than the extant notes, which is what the statements look like to me.

I think OP means quantizing note lengths, like quantizing note off messages. Maybe it's something ready-made-loops related, so they end on a beat.

I imagine you're right. My experience has nothing to do with that so 'quantizing by stretching' made no sense. Cubase has 'Length Quantize' in the toolbar. The distance from this note's end to the next note's beginning is obviously changed, however. I think that throws me the most.

I think OP means note-on quantize.
Moving note-on only, means note-off remains where it is - and thereby is stretched.
But it might also mean negative duration on some notes moved later, unless note-off is adjusted in that case.

in isolation, that would be one way for the distance from note-end to next note-on to be preserved. but if the next note is affected, that's out the window.

it's a simple concept. usually when you quantize only the beginning of notes (not the end), the note is moved to the beat. I would rather it was stretched so that the ending remains where it is in relation to the beginning of the next note.

See if you quantize normally you lose the relationship that you had between the last and next note. Whereas if you stretched the note it would keep that relationship intact. If you've never used a DAW that has the ability to stretch midi notes and groups of notes it might make no sense to you, but if your DAW can do it, it's pretty useful sometimes.

Anyway it wouldn't be a life changing feature, I might not even have ended up using it regularly, but if it did exist I would have at least tried it a few times and see what it sounds like.

You can do this in Digital Performer 8 just fine. Fairly sure you can do it in Logic Pro X and Cubase Pro 8 as well.

i just wonder what's meant by "next note" in case there's more than one key involved

is this just about the simplest form? like, for each key looking for the next note with the same key

imo, if i played more chords i'd want to use near keys
if i played more melodies then near note edges instead, or a ratio between keys and edges
and "relationship" in terms of time could be gaps or overlappings

anyway, i've never used this

In other daw for example FL it has Articulate tool and allows to edit Gap between notes' end and beginning, then it stretches the end of notes accordingly with that gap value.

Reaper

frenchboy wrote:it's a simple concept. usually when you quantize only the beginning of notes (not the end), the note is moved to the beat. I would rather it was stretched so that the ending remains where it is in relation to the beginning of the next note.

See if you quantize normally you lose the relationship that you had between the last and next note. Whereas if you stretched the note it would keep that relationship intact. If you've never used a DAW that has the ability to stretch midi notes and groups of notes it might make no sense to you, but if your DAW can do it, it's pretty useful sometimes.
Yeah, apparently nobody replying here understands less than you, though. If you had articulated this instead of the strange things you wrote, we wouldn't have wasted our time speculating on wtf you did mean.
"quantize normally"? Read replies if you're going to canvass for info, maybe. "quantize normally you lose the relationship..." Yeah, no. Part of Cubase quantize, which is going to apply whether you attend to it or not, is quantize length. Asked and answered.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”