FL Studio 12 Released!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
FL Studio All Plugins Edition

Progressive rock/metal, for example. True, not really a genre of music you'd want to do in FLS, but still.

Alright, fair enough. Well no matter what you do i guess it's an essential feature anyway, if you have it in close to any other host.

Well ok, it seems FLS is for simpetons then lmao
BUT DON'T TALK BS!!! OKAY???
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6uXANvaK1I

Simpsons. I meant Simpsons.. seury.

She Changed Her Mind wrote:Well ok, it seems FLS is for simpetons then lmao
BUT DON'T TALK BS!!! OKAY???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6uXANvaK1I
when someone wanna post a good example of why a sequencer needs timesig changes, he ends up posting something that was made before sequencers existed.

IF that guy didn't need a sequencer, how is it "impossible", "a torture" or even "hard" to place a clip on a grid that's still showing the correct beats, but shows "bar 15" instead of "bar 19" above it?
I don't even get it because FL starts hiding bar #'s as you zoom out.

I mean, let's not change the problem. The problem isn't about making something "possible" (this USED to be IMPOSSIBLE in an old FL btw, and people were asking to freely lay down patterns, for a good reason), it's not about making something very easy, instead of just easy.
To me, something that has to be very easy, is something that the majority does all the time.
(& I don't even see how having to bother inserting a timesig changes makes things easier btw, it's just more work for the only sake of displaying right bar #'s)

And that's what the problem seem to be, not about the lack of timesig change support itself, but some kind of protest against the discrimination of songs with timesig changes. Is it possibly all it's about, people who do music with timesig changes need a hug?
DOLPH WILL PWNZ0R J00r LAWZ!!!!

imo, when the bar numbers hide on zoom out anyway, leave the bar numbering as it is

but you could slightly change the drawing of 1/3-beat-snap
the existing green vertical lines for the existing 1/4-beats
new blue lines for the 1/3-beats (walz)

that way nobody has to change snaps when mixing the "timesigs" in a pattern, because both beat colors (4 and the prime number) will be there

and then duplicate the triplet-snaps just with the next primes, 5 and 7, fiftlets and seventlets so to say quintuplets and septuplets

(*i don't find it all that important)
Last edited by maruks on Tue May 05, 2015 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

I empathize with Gol's difficulty with the music theory here. He has created an excellent tool without knowing these points all this time. I'm not a music theory person myself. The neurology that leaves me struggling with that is also why I cannot program worth a damn. I find it curious that a person that has the programming skills to do such impressive software would have difficulty with music theory discussion, because I thought programmers and music theory people were using the same neurological processing to understand both. I've seen people cite quotations about how "music is math" and "anyone that can't do math, can't do music" ... which I disagree with, obviously :hihi:

Thank you to everyone trying to explain all these details clearly to educate those of us that don't yet have a solid understanding of the music meter. As a musician that has intentionally chosen to use different time signatures in music (including multiple signatures within a song) as a way to inspire new songs and exploration, the topic is important to me.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote: I find it curious that a person that has the programming skills to do such impressive software would have difficulty with music theory discussion, because I thought programmers and music theory people were using the same neurological processing to understand both. I've seen people cite quotations about how "music is math" and "anyone that can't do math, can't do music"
problem with music "theory" is that it's not so much theory, & that music is wrongly taught IMHO. Yes it's all maths and it would be clearer if it was explained that way.
And even if, say a piano teacher, tells you to train your fingers on chords, it should still not be "press these keys, period", he should be explaining WHY those 3 keys create a harmony (if he even knows/understands himself, but that's my point, music seems to be too much of a doctrine).
DOLPH WILL PWNZ0R J00r LAWZ!!!!

tony tony chopper wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote: I find it curious that a person that has the programming skills to do such impressive software would have difficulty with music theory discussion, because I thought programmers and music theory people were using the same neurological processing to understand both. I've seen people cite quotations about how "music is math" and "anyone that can't do math, can't do music"
problem with music "theory" is that it's not so much theory, & that music is wrongly taught IMHO. Yes it's all maths and it would be clearer if it was explained that way.
And even if, say a piano teacher, tells you to train your fingers on chords, it should still not be "press these keys, period", he should be explaining WHY those 3 keys create a harmony (if he even knows/understands himself, but that's my point, music seems to be too much of a doctrine).
if i may, i agree here
the notation math in music theory is mostly about compatcing data onto small papers, it's some (vaguely speaking) sort of huffman-encoding with features for instruments with certain tone ranges and whatnot

for musicians at a pc all that has died. and the harmonics are the things that are actually cool are the tuning systems (which could be better supported by software) to create weird chords :D

mostly when i tried learning piano pieces, i created various basic and c++ programs for printing notes on paper in a strict manner (numbers, piano rolls, note names) .. even thought often about a non-existing white-keys-only piano to minimize my transposing problems (it's kinda uncool to have unneccessary physical challenges),... sadly that goes into conflict with blues scheme and all stuff that every child acquires

I'm in FULL AGREEMENT about music teachers not accommodating students. The way music is taught was of zero use to me, just like how maths were taught. I learned nothing from formal education in either category (except the most basic of basics). I learned music on my own, by my motivated interest, and almost exclusively through sound/hearing. Notation is outside my neurology, at least as it has been taught to me (or thrown at me). My instrument teachers failed me the moment they expected I start using notation. They weren't skilled enough to teach notation, either, and I'm pretty sure they didn't understand all the maths involved in music theory anyway. They had learned by rote memorization and that does NOT work with my learning style whatsoever. Consequentially, I'm seen as a "poor student" with "a bad attitude" by formal schooling (not just in music). Sigh.

It would be nice if there was any kind of revolution in teaching and schooling, but it sure as shit won't happen in my country any time soon. Since the USA is falling behind everyone in everything, maybe a few more decades of embarrassing statistics will encourage legitimate reform (not the bullshit Bill Gates is pushing, or the bullshit Bush II caused).
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

tony tony chopper wrote:
I too, agree with this ^^^ the lack of *WHY* (and/or HOW) this works this way, is foundational to the *WHAT* (e.g. "do this, like this") :tu:

... "just because", doesn't fly with me.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

:hihi: That's why I piss off programmers a lot. I ask "why?" when they do things that seem archaic to me, and they say "because that's how it's always been done!" (this thread subject NOT being an example)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

By the way, the alignment of the ruler with the correct NUMBER of measures isn't where I find the meter and time signatures to be an issue. I screw that up all the time when I'm just randomly recording, and I've many former tracker module songs converted to MIDI in awful BPM translations and meters as evidence (mod to MIDI tools never get much right).

Why I care is that the accents of the metronome are very useful when recording! The break between measures is more important to me than the specific number of that break.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Actually, i take that back. It's also important for the ruler lines to match on the measure, too, since that's how I rely on doing visual editing.

But my point is that workarounds for showing correct measure numbers aren't enough if the metronome isn't giving me the right accent beats.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”