Gforce Oddity 2 YES / NO???

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I tried the trial version: a number of the factory patches were really nice. Are all of the best factory patches in the trial version (which only has about 60 patches)? I wish I could hear more factory patches before I might buy this.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

I owned Oddity until around 2011 where i sold it. From GForce i still gor ImpOSCar 2 which is still great.

At this years Musikmesse i had played with the new Korg ARP Odyssey (actually played more than one time with it there...) and really loved it, also the additional features like the 3 filter modes (which are very much different in the new hardware) and the built-in Drive.
When i got home i re-checked the trial version of Oddity 2 and was a bit underwhelmed by it.
No matter how close the Korg ARP Odyssey is to the real thing it just seems to sound right for me and teh new features are great.

The new hardware Odyssey is "only" 999 € but this is still too much to spend for me at the moment while i would really like to have one. Oddity 2 simply does not seem to be a proper replacement so i'll pass on that one, also based on the synths i alraedy got, including a hardware Waldorf Pulse 2. For ARP sounds i also got TimewARP 2600 which sounds great IMO, additionally Arturia ARP 2600 V2 and KikAxxe. Besides that i also got some other great VA plugins including e.g. Diva, Monark and Saurus 2.
Last edited by Ingonator on Fri May 01, 2015 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I'd have to say NO unfortunately. I agree with Ingonators post above.

In my opinion they should have upped the sound engine in Oddity 2, 0dbf filters and stuff ya know.
Anyway, it's just my opinion and lot of people like the synth as it is so ..
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

Oddity 2 is great, you just need to know how to program it. Its not you average all singing all dancing synth.

Ingonator wrote: Besides that i also got some other great VA plugins including e.g. Diva, Monark and Saurus 2.
None of which sound remotely like an Odessey. Stick to the subject instead of just listing random synths.

I can't say how accurate Oddity 2 is, as I don't have a real one here to compare it to. One of these days I'll bring my laptop over to my friend's house for a proper comparison, since he has several original ones of different vintages. But it really doesn't matter to me how accurate it is, because I think it sounds fantastic. Also, it goes well beyond what you could do with a real one- polyphonic mode, all the lfo's and envelopes for every parameter... that takes it into an entirely different realm, and I would want to use it for those features even if I had a real one sitting right here.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:I can't say how accurate Oddity 2 is, as I don't have a real one here to compare it to. One of these days I'll bring my laptop over to my friend's house for a proper comparison, since he has several original ones of different vintages. But it really doesn't matter to me how accurate it is, because I think it sounds fantastic. Also, it goes well beyond what you could do with a real one- polyphonic mode, all the lfo's and envelopes for every parameter... that takes it into an entirely different realm, and I would want to use it for those features even if I had a real one sitting right here.
if it wasnt VERY VERY close, Dave Spiers wouldnt release it. He's an expert, he knows his stuff (unlike some ppl round here)

I like Oddity, but I notice I didn't leave the demo on my computer for long, because I wanted to make space for the Arturia V Collection.
Ha ha suck it!

Apostate wrote:I like Oddity, but I notice I didn't leave the demo on my computer for long, because I wanted to make space for the Arturia V Collection.
I sincerely hope that was a joke. Arturia software is a waste of disk space. Love the 'brutes though...
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:
Apostate wrote:I like Oddity, but I notice I didn't leave the demo on my computer for long, because I wanted to make space for the Arturia V Collection.
I sincerely hope that was a joke. Arturia software is a waste of disk space. Love the 'brutes though...
Hope away, Arturia sits great in my collection with Diva and Saurus. Oddity didn't work with the music I create, and I found it uninspiring overall. I will be the first to admit that the Arturia V products can sound thin, however, especially certain patches. Where it lacks, Diva and Saurus make up for.

If it doesn't work for you, that's you.
Last edited by Apostate on Sat May 02, 2015 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ha ha suck it!

Accidental repost.
Ha ha suck it!

Just Demo'd Oddity 2 for the first time --- was VERY impressed.

To the dude who thinks the demo only has a 'demo' preset bank: hit Load under the preset list, and you can load all of the factory banks in the demo, and there are MANY.

I'm gonna have to get it.... soon.

The sound is stellar. And I actually like the interface, definitely an improvement IMO over version 1.

Ameyah Audio wrote:
Caine123 wrote:i demo'ed oddity and couldnt understand it at all somehow, yeah i still have to learn synthesis but the GUI was also putting me off! maybe they updated the gui then i will check it out again!
+1
the gui looks synthedit alike a bit and it is all a bit to small to work with it.
it has some nice presets in it from classical sounds, but not enough to get my rocking in my chair.
That's the problem I have with Oddity 2, on a 27" iMac, the GUI is so small, it's almost unusable. Gforce needs to make the GUI variable size like they did with impOSCar.

I also agree that the presets are nice, but overall, it's pretty boring, IMO. I would have killed for an Odyssey back in 1975, but there are so many cooler things out now.

mholloway wrote:Just Demo'd Oddity 2 for the first time --- was VERY impressed.

To the dude who thinks the demo only has a 'demo' preset bank: hit Load under the preset list, and you can load all of the factory banks in the demo, and there are MANY.

I'm gonna have to get it.... soon.

The sound is stellar. And I actually like the interface, definitely an improvement IMO over version 1.
Thank you very much for replying! I had no idea!! :)
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

bought this, as expected, after playing with the demo for two days.

fantastic synth... only complaint would be the lack of a modern patch browser, which GForce apparently have said they are well aware of.

Sound Quality is the high point here, just fantastic.

Preset banks are excellent as well.

UI, as I said before, I actually really like it. Improves on the original, looks nice and retro, easy to use, love the addition of the XLFO / ENV from Minimonsta (where is Minimonsta2 ??), love that everything is on one screen.

Highly recommended! Great work, Dave & co.

-Michael

Return to “Instruments”