Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

asb2m10 wrote:
electro wrote:how far off is the next version?
when Soundtoys 5 is released :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Seriously it is coming... I'm still connecting the dots. A lot of the previous issues are addressed in this version, specially about the preset saving feature.

I even got a screenshot ... UI coherence is still on my TODO list.

What will be great about the cartridge manager is that everything will be "draggable" so you will be able to move programs from cartridges without explicitly having to load them. And all of this will be very DX7/sysex friendly.

Wooahhh! Splendid! That's a huge promising picture!!!
:love:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

asb2m10 wrote:
electro wrote:how far off is the next version?
when Soundtoys 5 is released :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Seriously it is coming... I'm still connecting the dots. A lot of the previous issues are addressed in this version, specially about the preset saving feature.

I even got a screenshot ... UI coherence is still on my TODO list.

What will be great about the cartridge manager is that everything will be "draggable" so you will be able to move programs from cartridges without explicitly having to load them. And all of this will be very DX7/sysex friendly.

Seriously, you took time, bit seems you have taken your time seriously :-)

This looks VERY promising. Look forward to try the new version.

Please don't Forget to implemente the reference of the currently loaded cartridge. This is very importante to keep track of where we are.
Fernando (FMR)

Will it stay free or do you intend to do a commercial version?
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Cartridge management seems to be killer! :tu:

Can't wait for the next version. I'd like it if monophonic mode had less clicks, though...

Also, is there any plans to implement global options from DX7 (footswitch, aftertouch, breath controller etc assignments)?

Hi all,

in some patches there are quite some differences between the original DX7 and Dexed. I think one of the main culprits are the timings of the envelope generators. Attached is a little test I did: left channel=DX7, right channel: vexed. Init patch with the Pitch EG set to:
Level: 70, 30, 50, 50
Rate: 20, 20, 99, 99

Hear for yourself here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3833150/Test2.wav

What is does is a simple single sweep once up and then down. Vexed is a good 20% off the mark. I also find that on LFO speeds I have to set Vexed -1 compared to original DX7 settings.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear: the pitches are good, it's only the speed. Vexed is much faster. I think it's the same with the other generators, guess they use the same settings anyway?

Anything wrong with your 'D' key? The synth is called Dexed, not Vexed. ;-)

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Haha, damn. There was one another project called Vexed and that name stuck in my brain. Thanks for telling me. DEXED! Great project and I hope most of my stuff is easily fixable.
Cheers, seb

deft_bonz wrote:Will it stay free or do you intend to do a commercial version?
It will stay free on the GPL.
EvilDragon wrote:Also, is there any plans to implement global options from DX7 (footswitch, aftertouch, breath controller etc assignments)?
Absolutely, but not in the next version. I want to concentrate the efforts for the cart manager and once it is done, the controller assignments (and other bug fixes, like the feedback level tuning) will be completed. I would like to keep a new version per month... adding stuff in my todo list actually slows down the development. I have a kid and a very needy client; my free time is pretty rare right now. :cry:

asb2m10 wrote:Absolutely, but not in the next version.
That is great, but the delay is bad :D :( :( :( .

I (playing live with a MasterKeyboard, with Reaper as a VST host) extremely happily use Dexed to do astonishingly authentic emulations of Church Organ (at least two instances of Dexed in parallel, enhanced by convolution delays and impulses of real churches) and Vibe (enhanced by a "Rotator" effect I did as a combination of effects that come with Reaper). All this for free (sauf the rather cheap and extremely versatile Reaper software that I have for DAW use, anyway).

I also use a Breath Controller (TEC BBC) with a Travers-Flute physical Modeling software (SWAM). So being able to use the BC with Dexed would be a great wish of mine.

Thanks for this great software ! :tu:

(Did you take a look at my "Cartridge set Analyzer" software described in this thread some weekes ago ? it helped me greatly to find existing patches that were useful for my needs.)

-Michael

I have one request and I dont know whether it will be cool and handy tip or it will ruin your time and work.
So, i hate using keyboard and mouse when I'm working with synths, thats why i love my midi controller UC33E.
In your vst every operator has 21 adjustable parameter, so you can assign them on a controller.
But 21 for each operator x 6 (operators) = 126 parameters for whole operato section. It is pretty big number. You should have 126 rotary or any other controolers to assign them all.
My request include the following: is it possible to create one knob to navigate through all the operaters (1-6), so you can use other 21 faders to control parameters of selected operator?
Now you will need only 22 controllers or faders to control and change settings of each operator.
This will increase workflow in yout vst, because everything will be quick and handy.
Sorry for my bad english! I hope you understand my idea.

maybe the new cartmanager and ordinary fixes could be divided into separate updates.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

OnTheFly wrote:I have one request and I dont know whether it will be cool and handy tip or it will ruin your time and work.
So, i hate using keyboard and mouse when I'm working with synths, thats why i love my midi controller UC33E.
In your vst every operator has 21 adjustable parameter, so you can assign them on a controller.
But 21 for each operator x 6 (operators) = 126 parameters for whole operato section. It is pretty big number. You should have 126 rotary or any other controolers to assign them all.
My request include the following: is it possible to create one knob to navigate through all the operaters (1-6), so you can use other 21 faders to control parameters of selected operator?
Now you will need only 22 controllers or faders to control and change settings of each operator.
This will increase workflow in yout vst, because everything will be quick and handy.
Sorry for my bad english! I hope you understand my idea.
Like in the LittleOne - the emulation of Moog's Little Pathy?

OnTheFly wrote:You should have 126 rotary or any other controolers to assign them all.
This kind of thing is handled by multiple "pages" on the MIDI controller. Otherwise you limit the amount of control others can have.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

sfd wrote:Like in the LittleOne - the emulation of Moog's Little Pathy?
Yes and No.
In littleone there is 2 page buttons, but they are no good.

cons:
they are not midi assignable (well, i tested this in ableton and when i tried midi map them via "configure" button nothing happened)
they cycle between one parameter at a time on tiny "display" (and shame this parametres are not midi assignable too), when i suggest cycle between operators.
there is 2 of them
electro wrote:This kind of thing is handled by multiple "pages" on the MIDI controller. Otherwise you limit the amount of control others can have.
Yes, I agree with you about using "pages". If nothing will happen, i will have to open lovely program called ENIGMA and change midi config on fisrt 6 "pages".
But how my suggestion limit the amount of control others can have?
Last edited by OnTheFly on Fri May 22, 2015 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”