Omnisphere 2 is here! (yes, it's really here!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Omnisphere 1 Omnisphere 2

I've also noticed some weirdness with the patch tagging. For example check out all the bowed type string sounds under the acoustic strings category. Ok cool so that's where the orchestral type strings/pads sounds are. But wait, there's a bowed strings section, with other bowed strings. And there's a pads and strings?

I think maybe they've tried to get too fancy?

Some people think the NI tagging system simplified too much with the new unified browser system for maschine/komplete etc. but I think they're categories are pretty on the money.

Oh well, I guess it just means some good sounds might stay hidden a while under you uncover them in a category you hadn't looked in before. ;)

There are just far too many categories and too much overlap, they need to simplify it hugely - needs less categories but more timbres. Kore still works better.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:I've also noticed some weirdness with the patch tagging. For example check out all the bowed type string sounds under the acoustic strings category. Ok cool so that's where the orchestral type strings/pads sounds are. But wait, there's a bowed strings section, with other bowed strings. And there's a pads and strings?

Some people think the NI tagging system simplified too much with the new unified browser system for maschine/komplete etc. but I think they're categories are pretty on the money.

Oh well, I guess it just means some good sounds might stay hidden a while under you uncover them in a category you hadn't looked in before. ;)
I half agree. Beyond the most basic bass / piano level, I never found the NI tags musically useful. Omni 1 was actually quite close to perfect actually, it was certainly light years ahead of NI. Categories like warm, pure, hollow, aggressive are fantastically useful.

But that's Omni 1. At the moment I agree Onni 2's tags are messy and inconsistent. So what to do? I know they spent months re-tagging everything from 1 - I don't think a rollback is realistic, and another tabula rasa is too much to bear. Most of the actual tags they have are potentially useful, the problem is they're all over the place in the implementation. I think they need to get some rules clearly laid down and then stick to them. If it's a synth lead, put it in the "lead synth" category for crying out loud. Or your strings example - make sure all the acoustic strings are in there, not just a subset of them. And finish tagging Dieggo's stuff!
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Less than 45 minutes from start to installed and running. That was one of the most flawless installs I've done. Seems to be woking fine. I think I'll be busy for a while. Let the patch auditioning begin. :party: :tu:
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

noiseboyuk wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:I've also noticed some weirdness with the patch tagging. For example check out all the bowed type string sounds under the acoustic strings category. Ok cool so that's where the orchestral type strings/pads sounds are. But wait, there's a bowed strings section, with other bowed strings. And there's a pads and strings?

I half agree. Beyond the most basic bass / piano level, I never found the NI tags musically useful. Omni 1 was actually quite close to perfect actually, it was certainly light years ahead of NI. Categories like warm, pure, hollow, aggressive are fantastically useful.

But that's Omni 1. At the moment I agree Onni 2's tags are messy and inconsistent. So what to do? I know they spent months re-tagging everything from 1 - I don't think a rollback is realistic, and another tabula rasa is too much to bear. Most of the actual tags they have are potentially useful, the problem is they're all over the place in the implementation. I think they need to get some rules clearly laid down and then stick to them. If it's a synth lead, put it in the "lead synth" category for crying out loud. Or your strings example - make sure all the acoustic strings are in there, not just a subset of them. And finish tagging Dieggo's stuff!
For me, it would be great if Spectrasonics would allow user-assignable tags, favorites and ratings (five stars) in the preset browser, for which user tags would be searchable and favorites and ratings sortable.
Robert Len Stallard
True to the music...

www.RLSguitar.com
KVR Seller/Buyer Feedback

RLS- you can sort by ratings. Not sure how it works regarding within a category or overall. Not that far along yet.

RLSguitar wrote:For me, it would be great if Spectrasonics would allow user-assignable tags, favorites and ratings (five stars) in the preset browser, for which user tags would be searchable and favorites and ratings sortable.
If I understand you correctly, all that is already possible. You can add your own new tags which you define and are searchable, you can rate patches and then order them in your search results by star rating ("sort" drop down menu).

I've already heard rumblings from some devs that the whole tagging thing is such a nightmare that they're just going to do their own thing. Not good.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

You can create your own new attribute types and assign them, but then, that can be a pain. The option is there though. :tu:

I didn't see any of this in the browser. I'll check more closely, I can be quite distracted and clueless at times... :ud:

Edit: I'm an Omnisphere noob.
Robert Len Stallard
True to the music...

www.RLSguitar.com
KVR Seller/Buyer Feedback

rustman wrote:Less than 45 minutes from start to installed and running. That was one of the most flawless installs I've done. Seems to be woking fine. I think I'll be busy for a while. Let the patch auditioning begin. :party: :tu:
Glad it went smoothly, rustman! :)

bmrzycki wrote:
stikygum wrote:
bmrzycki wrote:
stikygum wrote:Are there any places to buy the downloadable Omni 2 upgrade for $230? The Spectrasonics site has the download for $250, but do any retailers offer the download upgrade version?
Yep.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Omnisphere2up
https://www.jrrshop.com/spectrasonics-o ... pgrade-box
I think you're wrong, or maybe misunderstood. I want the download version not a boxed version they have to ship to me. Is the only way to get a download version through Spectrasonics? Btw, I contacted jrrshop directly and they said they only can sell the boxed version. Starting to sound like all retailers can only sell the boxed version.
What JRR or Sweetwater ships is a cardboard envelope with a serial number and nothing else: no DVDs, no coupons, no manuals. If you purchase from JRR or Sweetwater they will ship you the physical envelope. Once you receive it you open t up, logon to spectrasonics.net and type in the code.

This will enable you to download the upgrade.

If you are patient and willing to wait for physical shipping you will save $30 over the exact same software that you can purchase directly from the spectrasonics techshop.

Thanks for the info. Was thinking it was more DVDs like I had with version 1. My shipment is on it's way. Should be here for the weekend, probably sooner.

Well okay, my shoppe tells me it requires an iLok. Tell me they are mistaken..

They are mistaken.

It is challenge/response.
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

@Ben H
Thanks. I just couldn't believe it.

aMUSEd wrote:There are just far too many categories and too much overlap, they need to simplify it hugely - needs less categories but more timbres. Kore still works better.
Agreed. I think it is an example of them trying to get too fancy.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Instruments”