Is there anything out there like this idea? Is this legal?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Could you put together a bunch of expensive computers and rent them out to clients via a internet streaming system?

For instance, Client A would connect to the internet on his macbook air and use it to control my computer system which is locked up in a secure area which he rents to use. My computers would be set up like server racks in a warehouse and anyone in the world could connect to them and rent them like a studio.

On my computer Client A would be able to use all these expensive plugins, and control the DAW and then when he's finished he could export his tracks in the DAW and upload them to the computer he's controlling stuff on. Also while he's working Client B who lives in a different place could also connect to the session and work together with him.

The client front end they are on could stream in real time the high definition audio (24bit 48khz - 96khz) so they hear exactly what they are doing on the master DAW computer but on their own laptop.

This might be too expensive considering the bandwidth usage, but it might be possible for those with a high speed internet connection.

Basically this would allow people who can't afford to buy something like a Mac Pro to do their mixing, music creation, sound design etc on. They could just rent it like a studio for a week or something.

Would this idea even be legal?
:borg:

Not legal according to the vast majority of software license agreements.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Why not, there are many public computers that would need a special license
eg Cashmachines

Im sure this idea has already been implemented , cant remember details though
Amazon: why not use an alternative

There are many different licensing schemes out there, probably as many as there are devs. You can't just say if they can do it for cash machines they can do it for music sw. ATM sw is written specifically for that distributed model, banks will license it on number of sites etc. Most enterprise software licensing will involve number of users, servers installed to etc. Oracle Database licensing even depends on the number of cores your processors have.

You realise even in studios licensing is restrictive, plenty of plugs shouldn't just be used by whoever rents the studio; licensed only to named individuals (studio owner).

Read your end user license agreement for any given instrument, for instance. You can't open it up to multiple users and be within the typical EULA.

I think you'll find that a majority of licenses are only to be used by one person per license activation whether thats dongle or machine.
So I think you'll get closed down pretty quickly if it even worked.

Look at it another way. I have a film that I have purchased and allow other users to stream it off my pc.

I can see numerous logistical issues some which you've highlighted.

Bascially you are renting out the usage of your plugin licenses, so you would need to approach each individual license issuer to see if they have a business infrastructure.

Saying that, Slate Digital are renting their licenses and I think Waves have been doing it for some time now.

deastman wrote:Not legal according to the vast majority of software license agreements.
eulas have nothing to do with "legal" or not.

they are an agreement, a contract...not laws.

there is absolutely nothing illegal about breaking a eula, or any other contract...

of course it does open you up to a law suit...but saying its "not legal" is improper.
ImageImageImage

they are an agreement, a contract...not laws.
chaosWyrm got the point.

By the way, there are often licenses that include illegal /pointless satements in terms of actual law. Especially when it comes to modifying or reverse-engineering the software. You are allowed to do this both to ensure compatibilty or for educational / scientific purposes and company has nothing to say here.

Back to the point... in Warsaw we have one Ableton class that runs courses for money, so it's doable but for sure requires agreement from software vendor and probably different license.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

EULA's are legally binding contract. And carry all the weight of a legally binding contract. If you violate the contract you open yourself up for civil suit.

DMCA is both a criminal and civil statute, meaning that a copyright violation suit may be brought both by the federal government to impose criminal sanctions and by a private party seeking civil injunctive and monetary relief. So not only can the US government hall you off to jail it can also seize all your assets.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

the difference is that for an eula (or any contract) to be enforced, there has to be an injured party that brings a suit against the offending party.

something that is "illegal" doesnt have to meet either requirement. the state can independently prosecute people who break a law.

the state will not and can not prosecute someone for breaking a contract.

since copyright laws are in fact laws...they dont have anything to do with eulas...they are independent of them and are fully enforceable even if there is no eula present at all.

as far as im concerned (and this is a personal opinion) eulas are all worthless bs. they violate several basic tenets of how contracts work and i dont give them a second thought.

and before anyone starts in...im fully aware that some courts have upheld the way they work...but those decisions were based wholly on logistics and not on established commercial code. in essence...some courts have allowed eulas to violate commercial code simply because its easier than figuring out a way to have them comply.

the way i see it...you dont like me doing something...come and sue me.

if you dont think its worth suing me over...then it was bs to start with.
if you cant sue me because theres no way for you to know...it was bs to start with.

(this next part is not opinion, its fact)

breaking the eula is NOT illegal and i can do it whenever i want to...its the obligation of the "injured" party to enforce their end of the contract...if they can not or will not...then its bs.

if you want to do something that violates an eula (or any contract)...you need to work out the likelihood of getting caught and the likelihood of being sued over it if you are. then you need to work out the risk/reward ratio and decide if its worth it or not.

contracts have nothing to do legal or illegal, right or wrong or anything. people and businesses calculate the risk/reward ratio to breaking contracts all the time, and often come to the conclusion that its worth it.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”