Arturia's new plugins : Solina V and Matrix 12V

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Matrix 12 V2 Solina V2

mchannemann wrote:I could load them only the marimba patch was extremly loud non usable
Well at least it doesn't crash, which was the point :)

Can you save me out a copy of the factory "Template Single" patch from your M12V, zip it and upload it here (or PM) - I can compare it to what I see here...

Hi tried extracting with 7 zip instead of winrar no difference vst and standalone are crashing with the same fault kernelbase.dll. I am using win 7 64 and have tried with reaper Buzz tracker and standalone

boombaxx wrote:Hi tried extracting with 7 zip instead of winrar no difference vst and standalone are crashing with the same fault kernelbase.dll. I am using win 7 64 and have tried with reaper Buzz tracker and standalone
And what happened when you tried to load the single patches I posted above? Load, or crash?

Hi still cannot load banks but can load single patches no problem. Although some of the presets from the banks get imported but not all

boombaxx wrote:Hi still cannot load banks but can load single patches no problem. Although some of the presets from the banks get imported but not all
Ok, well I can certainly offer the banks as individual patches (I avoided doing this at first because of name collisions). It might be a small handful of patches give problems for some people for some unknown reason, but importing the bank triggers the problem.

I'll probably wait until I can go through all the patches and do an updated batch with manual adjustments, and maybe get a quick PC system working to check them with, as my head is in some other things right now...

I just tried to replicate some of the patches i created with Matrix-12V with some other synths including e.g. Diva, OBXD, SEM V, Syn'X 2, Saurus 2 and some others and i was not even able to come close to some of those sounds, especially those that use one of the more "advanced" filter modes like e.g. "3-Phase" and "2Notch+1Low". Anyway even the more "common" modes like e.g. Bandpass and Notch seem to deliver quite different results than other comparable filters.
That multimode filter seems to be very difficult or almost impossible to be replaced by others.

I guess it does not make much sense to even try replicating some of those patches with other synths as long as those other synths do not include a Matrix 12 multimode filter (which maybe could be be done in Diva in a future update???). I did not even mention the modulation options in Matrix-12V which is a different story and hardly possible with other synths in the same way.

Also the fact that you could detune and pan every voice could lead to some great results.

Currently using Matrix-12V with some external FXs like eg. Waves OneKnob Phatter (for Bass boosting enhancement), ValhallaVintageVerb and ValhallaÜberMod (for both Chorus and Delay).
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:I guess it does not make much sense to even try replicating some of those patches with other synths as long as those other synths do not include a Matrix 12 multimode filter
Maybe try making a Combinator patch in Reason?

Numanoid wrote:
Ingonator wrote:I guess it does not make much sense to even try replicating some of those patches with other synths as long as those other synths do not include a Matrix 12 multimode filter
Maybe try making a Combinator patch in Reason?
Hi,

first using Reason is not an option for me, second i alraedy got Matrix-12V for doing th patches i want and third i am not sure if it would be even posible to do the same inReason (with Combinator).

My point was also not that the other synths that i used for comparison with Matrix-12V (those mentioned in my previous post) are worse, they just sound differently, especially the filter.

Most other Oberheim emulations like e.g.Obetheim SEM V, Diva (with Uhbie filter), OBXD ad OP-X Pro II seem to be based on teh SEM filter design which had discrete components.
Opposing to that the filter in the Matrix 12 used Curtis ICs that were included i na very complex overall filter design. Due to that the SEM had "only" up to 4 filter modes (LP, HP, BP, Notch which all use 2 Poles = 12dB/Oct) where the Matrix 12 had 15 types (1 - 4 Pole LP, 1-3 Pole HP, 2 or 4 Pole BP, 2 Pole Notch, the unique 3-Phase filter and combinations like "2High+1Low", "3High+1Low", "2Notch+1Low" and "3Phase+1Low"). All 4 combined filter modes include a 1 Pole (= 6 dB/Oct) Lowpass filter. The 3Phase and 3Phase+1Low modes a really great for doing pad sounds.
If i understand correctly the 3Phase filter changes and/or shfts the phase of certain harmonics in the input signal.

The SEM filter opposing to the Matrix 12 one is state variable which means it could be "morphed" between different modes. There is a switch to switch between BP and Notch (also called "BS" or "BR" which means band reject) so the morphing options are:
1) LPF -> Notch (or "BR") -> HPF
2) LPF -> BPF -> HPF

Both the SEM filter and the Matrix 12 filter do sound great and have their uses but techniclly they are not the same and they also do sound differently.

Besides that i never really agreed that most subtractive softsynths do sound similar (at least those softsynths taht i would consider as "good" whatever that means). The biggest difference indeed seems to be in the filters. Anyway with lots Synth Edit synths they used the stock filters and those indeed sounded quite similar then (of course there are also a bunch of SE synths with custom made filter modules but those seem to be the minority).

I also do not claim that the Matrix-12V plugin sounds exactly like the real thing but currently i like it the way it is, also in combination with some external effects (which i prefer compared to most of the the built-in ones...). The real synth did not have any built-in FXs so you had to use external ones anyway.
Besides that the whole feature set of Matirx-12V including that multimode filter and the tons of mod sources (e.g. 5 envelopes, 5 LFOs and a lot more). Opposing to the real synth in the plugn you got 2 x 20 = 40 modulation slots instead of 20 in the real thing. Modulations could be either set at the main interface or in the mod matrix.
Anyway due to that quite unique multimode filter it is not really necessary to use tons of modulations to get get sounds that are difficult to do with other synths with exactly the same sound/timbre.

Besides that also the fact that you could detune and pan the voices at the Voice page in combination with the voice rotate mode could lead to some great and really "big" sounds (comparable to the voice panning in OB-X and OB-8). In Unison mode you could have up to 12 voices of Unison, depending on which voices you activated at the Voices page.
Based on the fact that for each voice you could detune as both semitones and cents it is possible to create sounds that give the impression of using more than just 2 oscillators (e.g. when detung some of the voices in octaves and/or in fifth etc.).

Besides that it is also possible to create Multi programs with splits/layers (you could then assign "groups" to the voices at the Voices page) but i have not really used this feature for my own patches so far. Also seems to be possible to assign any single patch from the lists to those groups. For each "group" you could then assign one of 6 "Zones" which include e.g. the Unison setting, key zones and also MIDI channels.
This way it seems to be possible to create some quite complex layers and/or splits up to a point where every voice uses a different patch.
As alraedy mentioned i have not really used this yet, i just check how it works in some presets.
Anyway this system seems to be comparable to the layer system in Xils Lab Syn'X 2 (while there you got up to 16 voices instead of 12 in Matrix-12V).

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Solina V was one of the main reasons for me to upgrade to Arturia v4

And it doesn't disappoint, sounds silky smooth, especially when put through a good phaser like Syntorius

The Solina sounds very nice... sometimes a bit like an Eminent organ and if used with a smallstone phaser like the Bigstone it remembers also a bit to Jarre.

Numanoid wrote:Solina V was one of the main reasons for me to upgrade to Arturia v4

And it doesn't disappoint, sounds silky smooth, especially when put through a good phaser like Syntorius
Syntorus is a chorus, Num. Fazortan's a phaser.

I have been getting used to the Solina V lately, and so far I am really liking it, sounds great. :)

I wondered about how they mention '1978 Bob Moog’s polysynth resonator section' in the description for it. Is that licensed by Moog, or how does that work? I mean it's just that they use the actual name "Bob Moog" there.

I did some quick tests with Solina V today, comparing with the Reaktor Ensemble that I was used.

The Reaktor ensemble sounds somewhat fuller, but more modern. The Solina sounds more 'vintage'.

BTW, some weeks ago Arturia added real support for Sustain Pedal. Although this is not on the original Solina, I think that a lot of people will find this feature useful.

Hey, beely soundbanks aren't compatible with Matrix 12V 2?

waltercruz wrote:Hey, beely soundbanks aren't compatible with Matrix 12V 2?
These were made with V1. V2 changed the preset format.

However, the Arturia preset convertor will convert any V1 banks you have installed that it recognises, and they will then work in V2.

Return to “Instruments”