iPad 4 VS Windows 7 or 8 multi-touch surface

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

musikmachine,

To clarify:
I want to be able to open iPad apps on the Windows touch screen.
If not possible I am hoping and waiting for developers to port their apps
both from iPad and Android to Windows.

many apps are available on Windows/Mac. Not all, some are touchscreen optimised.

I think I know what you want. This is not happening right now. Controlling software with a tablet is not a bad idea. The big screen in front of you, or more than one, and a little touchscreen to control the computer. Even an iPhone can be very helpful for daily tasks and important software control. If you have Lemur or similar app, and a DAW that can send MIDI and/or OSC, you're in heaven.

I think it was a smart move from Apple not to include touch input in their desktop OS that much. It is difficult to implement this in complex software like DAW's. That's why we don't see much touch implementation it today's software. I was wondering myself why isn't there a DAW/Softsynth/Effect that makes use of multitouch. After some practice and experience I now know why.

Kalamata Kid wrote:musikmachine,

To clarify:
I want to be able to open iPad apps on the Windows touch screen.
If not possible I am hoping and waiting for developers to port their apps
both from iPad and Android to Windows.
Oh i see. There are iPad simulators like iPadian but i'm not sure what apps run on them. Unless RTD can work in the opposite direction and you can control apps from a touchscreen monitor (maybe connect one via the ipads adapter?).

I think you could be a long time waiting for apps to be ported, is it specific ones or just in general? Secret Base Design just released an app to stream audio from apps straight to your DAW so there are other ways to integrate things.
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

Checked iPadian reviews and the it seems will not run the iPad apps with gestures on a Windows touch screen.

"I think you could be a long time waiting for apps to be ported" Yes very likely!

"Secret Base Design" not for me.

Phil999 wrote:many apps are available on Windows/Mac. Not all, some are touchscreen optimised.

I think I know what you want. This is not happening right now. Controlling software with a tablet is not a bad idea. The big screen in front of you, or more than one, and a little touchscreen to control the computer. Even an iPhone can be very helpful for daily tasks and important software control. If you have Lemur or similar app, and a DAW that can send MIDI and/or OSC, you're in heaven.

I think it was a smart move from Apple not to include touch input in their desktop OS that much. It is difficult to implement this in complex software like DAW's. That's why we don't see much touch implementation it today's software. I was wondering myself why isn't there a DAW/Softsynth/Effect that makes use of multitouch. After some practice and experience I now know why.
Any app that works well on an iPad can work on an Windows touch screen just a well. Hopefully on a windows touch screen the app can be resized, made bigger or smaller or add more Keys or knobs as it is resized larger.

On a large 32" or 40" Windows touch screen you can run the apps, VST effects and VST instruments and enlarge to the point of being comfortable and payable. Open 4 apps and Alt/Tab and you have 4 more apps and Alt/Tab and you have your DAW. The mouse is still there to use as you wish.

Any part of a DAW VST or VSTi that can be touched can be enlarged to make it easy to touch. I for one will likely use the mouse more than the finger however there are elements of computer music making that work best with the finger at the control: X-Y pad, Keyboard, knobs, faders...

Is this just a dream or a feature request? No, I am pleading to he powers that be!!! Not even that, I am begging to the innovators and creative developers and the shakers and movers!

in my use SURFACE PRO 2 had many many flaws that I hadn't experienced in ipad4
1. 1 usb port, and a dislike for a powered hub...makes using a controller and interface a NO GO
2. Just weird shaped and bulky (hard to really hold on to)
3. Windows 8 is kinda iffy with pro audio
4. It just doesn't have the same touch response of an iOS device...
5. Latency without a proper interface is MEH

I took it back within 5 days for a full refund...Thank you best buy for allowing that! I can't speak for Surface Pro 3, as I wouldn't even give it a go.
For Original Beats that are different
http://www.setdabar.com

at Grearslutz check out
Force Touch + 12.9" iPad Pro = Future of Controllers?
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... st10994519

A 13" iPad is fantastic! Perhaps velocity sensitive, from a feather to a hard touch and 128 levels.

But again I would still prefer a 30" Windows multi-touch screen. I underhand that Windows 10 will have additional multi-touch implementation. Does anyone have any info on this?

setdabar wrote:in my use SURFACE PRO 2 had many many flaws that I hadn't experienced in ipad4
1. 1 usb port, and a dislike for a powered hub...makes using a controller and interface a NO GO
2. Just weird shaped and bulky (hard to really hold on to)
3. Windows 8 is kinda iffy with pro audio
4. It just doesn't have the same touch response of an iOS device...
5. Latency without a proper interface is MEH

I took it back within 5 days for a full refund...Thank you best buy for allowing that! I can't speak for Surface Pro 3, as I wouldn't even give it a go.
Sounds like you didn't want it to work. ASIO4ALL works fine for everyone else who tried them on even on cheap $100 Windows Tablets. You would have been able to run VSTis. IOS dosnt allow them. Saying pro apps on IOS is kinds funny as Windows 8 works fine here and you can use it with almost any DAW. You paid more for less - go figure.

Or you can try something like splashtop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhikbi6jstY
Instant human just add coffee

I actually did try Splashtop with Alchemy Desktop one time just as a test. I had my keyboard hooked up to the computer, so I still wasn't able to really detach and go anywhere with the iPad. The latency is fine for long attacks, but too much for anything with quick attacks requiring correct timing. Potential is there to edit/create sounds while using an on-screen keyboard to play if you want to be somewhere else in the house.

Thanks BiancaNeve,

Very interesting. My Interest will be when an Ipad app can function on a Windows multi-touch screen.

Soon some VST's for PC will open with multi-touch functionality. The VST's will have multi-touch sliders, buttons, x-y pads, midi keyboard and other innovative controllers to enter note data. No need to connect anything. It will just work. The DAW will also be open so the musician can make and edit music with fingers on the screen or with mouse and QWERTY keyboard.

Windows 10 will apparently be able to run iOS and Android apps
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Not exactly, they still will need to be ported to W10.

Some guy test Surface 3 fo musicians.

http://discchord.com/blog/2015/5/5/micr ... cians.html

FLStudio 12 is awesome on a Surface Pro 2. It benefits from using a larger monitor via the output, but is perfectly usable on the 10" screen, and the FL ASIO driver works just fine as well.

The biggest problem at the moment is a lack of apps like TouchOSC, Lemur etc., but hopefully the new Windows 10 SDK will make it simple for them to port over.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”