One-Synth-Challenge 44: Retrologue - Submissions and gossip

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Retrologue

chk071 wrote:You sure you weren't clipping in your host? Sounds a bit like it tbh.
This is what first came to my mind, but it might be a hidden bug as well or a system related error.

No, it was not clipping, it seems to be independent of the volume, I have uploaded a patch so you can check it out yourself:
https://app.box.com/s/y9pxh7w1qcuqjc6h45pp63c1bpfalm40

Play chords, especially on lower octaves.

Sometimes there is also noise on higher octaves, particularly when using both effects at the same time.

fluffy_little_something wrote:No, it was not clipping, it seems to be independent of the volume, I have uploaded a patch so you can check it out yourself:
https://app.box.com/s/y9pxh7w1qcuqjc6h45pp63c1bpfalm40

Play chords, especially on lower octaves.

Sometimes there is also noise on higher octaves, particularly when using both effects at the same time.
Thanks for uploading the preset.

Yes, it is absolutely there and it's not pleasant at all (even for my heavy hearings!). Anyway, I did played with many things but still the same noise. In the end I loaded some factory presets and tried to figure out how I make them with that noise.

And I think I found it. It is the level knob in the Amplifier section. In your preset it is more than 0.0 dB but most of the factory presets are less than 0.0 dB. I don't know exactly what this knob for, but I think it is related to the noise which seems like from an internal clipping (in volume) inside Retrolouge?! I don't know if it is a bug or not, but lowering it, is the solution for me to get rid of such noise.

Oh, that could be it :) I was already wondering why they have the Level and the Volume controls there, I used them arbitrarily. Maybe the Level control includes some sort of deliberate distortion emulation. Just checked the manual, it doesn't say so directly, but it says this:

"Here, you can adjust the level of the voice.

- Normally, the internal 12 dB headroom of Retrologue allows for polyphonic playing, without any need for level adjustments. However, when you use higher filter distortion levels, it may become necessary to reduce the level."

Oh great :tu: I haven't looked in the manual for it, so thanks for saving me the search :)

It is a great synth really. I haven't sold it even when I needed urgent money (I sold NI synths instead!, but anyway, I bought them back :D ) so it is a keeper (so as Padshop Pro which also uses low resources and can complement Retrologue in a song perfectly). Steinberg did really a great job with these synths and the prices can't be beaten by any other vendor really.

I don't have Padshop, but Retrologue also complements the M1 well.
Padshop seems more complex, I would not know how to use it judging from their website, nor what to use it for 8)

Just stumbled upon something useful: Retrologue has separate settings for up and down bend range. But one can use both for up (or down) at the same time, e.g. +5 "downwards" and +2 upwards :) Since one often pushes the wheel to the max this can be useful for achieving two different, precise ranges for the same bend direction.

fluffy_little_something wrote:I don't have Padshop, but Retrologue also complements the M1 well.
Padshop seems more complex, I would not know how to use it judging from their website, nor what to use it for 8)
Padshop is amazing. It's like a mini Alchemy. I haven't gone pro yet but for $9 upgrade it's a no brainer.

The big difference between pro and the player version that comes with Cubase is that the pro allows you to load your own waveforms.

The sounds you can get out of Padshop are really special. Probably one of my favorite synths that I don't use nearly enough. Once I get the pro version I'll probably use it a lot more.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Just stumbled upon something useful: Retrologue has separate settings for up and down bend range. But one can use both for up (or down) at the same time, e.g. +5 "downwards" and +2 upwards :) Since one often pushes the wheel to the max this can be useful for achieving two different, precise ranges for the same bend direction.
I never thought of it! Maybe because I always think of equal semitones for up and down. Interesting, thanks for sharing :)
fluffy_little_something wrote: Padshop seems more complex, I would not know how to use it judging from their website, nor what to use it for 8)
Padshop seems complex at first, but it is the oscillator which is complex (which you can modulate some of its parameters in the modulation matrix). After reading the manual, you would not have any problem with it.

But if you don't need drones or weird staff or using samples and trying to do something new (mostly strange), then no, I don't think you need it. Everything depends on what kind of music you want to do. I guess your style concentrates more on melody/harmony (like in the good old days of the '70s and '80s, right?) If that is the case, I would invest in Electric Piano (like Lounge Lizard or Velvet) to give that sweet melody or harmony a nice presence.

Anyway, although I like a lot Padshop Pro, but FM8 for me is more essential than Padshop pro. Both are keepers of course :hihi:

wagtunes wrote: The big difference between pro and the player version that comes with Cubase is that the pro allows you to load your own waveforms.
Yes, you can't load your samples with the Padshop supplied with Artist or Full/Pro. But it is not a player. It is a full synth. The Pro have these extras (copied from Steinberg's website):

Exclusive Padshop Pro features

- Sample import via drag-and-drop for advanced sound design projects and custom presets
- 3-band parametric EQ per layer for clarity and smoothness in the mix
- Algorithmic reverb to enrich your sound with fullness and athmosphere
- 50 new presets with athmospheric pads and evolving sounds

EnGee wrote:But if you don't need drones or weird staff or using samples and trying to do something new (mostly strange), then no, I don't think you need it. Everything depends on what kind of music you want to do. I guess your style concentrates more on melody/harmony (like in the good old days of the '70s and '80s, right?) If that is the case, I would invest in Electric Piano (like Lounge Lizard or Velvet) to give that sweet melody or harmony a nice presence.
You seem to know me well :) Indeed, I don't use drones and sound effects so to speak, and indeed, I upgraded to EP4 Session a few weeks ago (for 19 dollars :hihi: ), that is the center of my music now :)

Because of the noise and phasing/retrigger issues I will uninstall it, but maybe someone would like two of the patches I made while demoing it, a synth bass and an electric bass emulation, which calls for dynamic playing 8) Sent through a compressor it sounds funkier...

https://app.box.com/s/x8l271rpf0rq1y85isqmfmibcx0dioe8
https://app.box.com/s/e46m7g4rqpt4ncl6361eferutn84i2u0

Return to “Instruments”