Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

whyterabbyt wrote:
inkwarp wrote:elyssia impressor
NI VC 76
GTO
IL Maximus
you really didnt read the question, did you.
To be fair, your post is just as off-topic :lol:
http://admiralbumblebee.com/
Audio Software Reviews, Woodworking, Programming and more...

I always use Sonar (Cakewalk) built in compressors while I have NI Komplete effects as well.

Also FWIW, none of my top 3 favorite stock compressors are in the DAW I use (even though I really like the Masterworks Leveler).

In order, for me (I already said 1 and 2)

1. SAWstudio Compressor
2. Logic's
3. AM|Track (Samplitude)
4. MasterWorks Leveler.
5. DP8's dynamic equalizer (envelop followers on EQ gain, like hooking up a compressor's sidechained GR to an eq's gain)
http://admiralbumblebee.com/
Audio Software Reviews, Woodworking, Programming and more...

Studio one's is very decent.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Logic
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

The Glue in Live.

I only use stock comps when doing One Synth Challenge. Other than that, use only 3rd party. Because of the better looking GUIs. :hihi:

I'm very impressed by the stock Logic comps (especially with the recent update).
If you include the Stillwell JS plugins, Reaper also has a great selection (though metering is less than ideal).

Also love AudioMulch's limiter (and ducker/gate, though that statement may run afoul of the OT police).

I like Reaper's ReaComp quite a bit and still use it sometimes over my third party plugins.
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

Robmobius wrote:Studio one's is very decent.
+1

Sounds good, feels good, looks good. Easy.

But the Channel Strip and TriComp are just as well very nice. Like them a lot.
------------
...and that's all I have to say about it!

do_androids_dream wrote:Harrison Mixbus has the best built in compressor for me. Why? Because, in general, it does the least amount of damage to the signal whilst still doing its job very well - interpret that as you will. As for using other compressors - depends on too many variables to get into in one post. All I will say though is that the better you get at mixing the less you will use compression ;)
Don't know about "best" (an all too common red herring when it comes to musical tools) but I agree that the Mixbus DSP is really well done. You can smash that comp and it still sounds good. Same goes for the EQ, it has the silkiest high end of any daw I've used. Everything there is top notch really, the saturation, the compression, all of it.

Those guys certainly do know audio.

Samplitude Ammunition, Samplitude Am-track, Samplitude Advanced Dynamics, Samplitude Multi-band dynamics, Samplitude sMax11 and the Samplitude eFX Compressor aint so bad...Pro X2 suite has great plugins, that's why I like it :tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Logic for sure.. in fact i could easily use it for almost every dynamics need.

I will have to say ReaComp, because it's replaced FL's compressor entirely over here, and it kicks serious ass.

Robert Randolph wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
inkwarp wrote:elyssia impressor
NI VC 76
GTO
IL Maximus
you really didnt read the question, did you.
To be fair, your post is just as off-topic :lol:
About as off-topic as a marketplace/no chat post informing someone that was chatting that there's indeed no chatting allowed, I guess.

Logic's compressor for me as well.

LawrenceF wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:Harrison Mixbus has the best built in compressor for me. Why? Because, in general, it does the least amount of damage to the signal whilst still doing its job very well - interpret that as you will. As for using other compressors - depends on too many variables to get into in one post. All I will say though is that the better you get at mixing the less you will use compression ;)
Don't know about "best" (an all too common red herring when it comes to musical tools) but I agree that the Mixbus DSP is really well done. You can smash that comp and it still sounds good. Same goes for the EQ, it has the silkiest high end of any daw I've used. Everything there is top notch really, the saturation, the compression, all of it.

Those guys certainly do know audio.
Yeah that's why I said 'for me' - so, 'in my experience' I guess I should have said. It's certainly preferable to Reaper's and Studio One's stock stuff (wasn't very impressed with most of S1's plugins to be honest). Logic's compressors fair much better (from what I remember when I used them at Uni - Logic Pro 8 though). I've done exhaustive comparisons with compressors on a wide variety of material and I found - in particular - that the Mixbus comps do the least damage to the low end. Even using other comps with sidechain filters to control what frequencies are being compressed didn't sound as good to me. Yes, they really do know their stuff. Bootsie's ThrillseekerLA came surprisingly close though - useful to know for me when I'm mixing in Reaper.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”