i made a video game

Official support for: xoxos
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://xoxos.net/software/levels.zip

proposed: an elementary venue for the dynamics and dramas of event. bounce on heads in series for more points (it keeps track of that).

content has been meticulously minimised so as not to interfere with dynamic :)

much like life, mastering elementary actuations will provide challenge and lots of "woah!" moments until you're good at it. then it's pretty boring unless you up your challenges.. keep a pet security bot.. using either antigravity pretty much makes it too easy, but are fun ways to interact with the environment. the options can make it significantly tougher (a zombie can bounce you to death against a wall in a second if set to persist).

subsequent levels (4 in total) more, more of the same, faster, with different colour schemes!

super super basic - the block environment was generated from a white noise alg, one block per screen width. tested on 1024.. other screen widths will *change the location/density of game objects and the game experience* but i believe the code will work with other screen widths without "breaking". a dystopian playground for momentary cell relief, or more, a leisurely programming exercise.

tldr = audio guy makes simple bouncing game for win32.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

if you try it, let me know if the "terrain" works with your non-1024 monitor width :)

if it's boring or anything, you don't have to type the whole word, just "b" :) it's not very challenging for me after spending weeks with it, the 2nd level was fun.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Im not sure it's working here! I manage to move down, side to side and sometimes bounce off the blocks. If i click with my mouse i hear the "lazer". But.. i see no lazer and i see no ghosts. Win 7 64 bit.

Unless it's a real laser that you can't see and the ghosts are invisible of course!
:hug:

Same here, going up just works for some moments until the next biiig fall. Same OS as well. Horizontal resolution is 1920.

you're right! the laser sound is triggered, but you can't shoot until you get the first pickup :)

file updated - hitting keys 1 thru 4 starts the corresponding level. i added this inside the switch for gravity, which restarted the game when you used it.. so fixed that..

on the initial level you should see gray bricks and orange circles. you should definately fall, even a long way, unless you don't fall. but you shouldn't fall through a brick, and neither oughtn't anyone else. it's not polite.

when you are "at rest" on a brick, you jump by hitting the up arrow. when you bounce, you bounce higher if you are holding the up arrow.

when you are in midair, holding the up and down arrow will affect your movement, as well as the gravity constant. there is a threshold where you cannot bounce higher, iirc it's like 16 levels on the first level.

so when you are bouncing, you want to hold the up arrow when you are moving upwards, and not hold it when you are moving downwards. if you hold the down arrow when you are falling, you will fall faster. then hold the up arrow when you bounce, to bounce with more velocity.

then, hold the up arrow to jump/bounce on the heads of the orange circle people, to punish them. successive bounces earn many points, and all those points turn into bullets! really great.

if you go and visit the places on the side, the scenery ought to repeat at your monitor's width. if you are not being transmitted through bricks or seeing a large irregular chasm then chances are that algorithm is working perfectly.

like the second level is red, you can pretend you are a bubble in a bloodstream and the bricks are chunks of dead bones from the planet aplhatron, like an invader from the land of sitting down and using electricity.

the third level is like being alive on an infinite digicamo uniform, like an airsoft pellet rolling around on a really really really big airsoft player.

but it was supposed to be nature, trees and big treetrunks maybe with laughing gnomes smoking a pipe with the leg up and the shoes you've seen. another land. a distant noble land where boys go. of sitting down and using electricity.

:lol:

Ok, i managed to kill a lot of red in second level! Sadly a big green killed me after i got stuck surrounded by bricks :cry:
What is the pickup? There was a flashing small green blob that i almost got to.
Sometimes i go right through the bricks

Fun game :D
:hug:

if i were the asteroids man you'd have to pay 25 cents, then you'd die and you wouldn't get to ask any questions.

actually this game is a lot about life, building up resources, waiting a long time to find something to eat, learning how to make your own fun because i didn't build that part in, and all the horrible lies people keep saying and saying, like a simulation of somewhere with an even shorter life expectancy, being chased in warehouses with pills, and some other famous stuff that is sure to make people feel good your new software release because it won't challenge them with anything excellent that might upset them or cause them to go into "beast mode," whatever the f**k that is.

somethings buggered. i keep falling through the things i'm supposed to bounce off, and i keep bouncing where i'm supposed to be falling. and pressing down makes me fall slower, pretty sure my left to right movement is severely inhibited.

i'll have a chance to try this on a system with a different sized monitor in a week and i'll get to see how that works :)

the playing field is coded to adapt to different monitor sizes, but i did make an assumption that all monitor sizes were divisible by some value, iirc 32.. i've just seen someone talking about their 1900w monitor so i guess not..

quick fix #1 for those minded to try it.. haha minded.. "minedead.."

same link http://xoxos.net/software/levels.zip

if monitor width is not a multiple of 32, there ought to be a slight unused portion of the screen.

quick fix #2 will be clamping widths over 1024.

noticed the third checkpoint on the second level in 1024 (screen width changes the game) spawns inside a block and is inaccessible, which is good because the arrow serves as a map reference for finding caches of food, and no antigrav = "more fun".

if anyone wants to experience vacuity,
http://xoxos.net/temp/heightfield.exe

d/l this highly corruptible link and scoot around for 45 seconds and see if your computer explodes :hyper:

move = arrows
look up/down = pgup/pgdown
look left/recenter/look right = [comma][period][slash]

normally triangles that overlap the field of vision are divided into smaller triangles. i'm using a simpler method. i'm hoping to keep the entire game, AI and all, under 1000 lines. :)

so partial triangles are divided into two at most triangles. sometimes it fails and you get dropouts, but that's cool if you're into retro gaming and believe you have a right to see through hills by moving very close to them.

the problem is these big triangles can sometimes produce big #s when the points are really close to the observer, and some of these big #s turn into divide by zero crashes.

pretty sure monitors of smaller than 600 pixels height will crash quickly. "emulated" larger monitor sizes... if you want to scoot around for a moment and see if you get a /0 crash ("soft crash" with error box you can close out of, not the "omg array isn't there let's freeze your whole system" crash). more likely to happen when hills are close behind the camera :)

new exe same link if you like to bounce.

:) found the bug that produced occasionally missing "obvious" triangles, especially with points above view.

also found the bug that caused triangles to stretch to the wrong side of the screen that occured with the soft crashes, and think i've stopped that from occuring. now the camera can safely be situated close to a surface.

you can still see through soccasional very close triangles just like in old games if they are vertical enough, so i consider my mini game terrain engine a success (been throwing stuff like quantising the height field into terraces, looks cool with the added planar randomisation). the code is still fixed to one-size-fits-all monitor ratio, and the whole fucken game, environ, gen, player movement, triangle sorting and drawing (soft render! all mine) are under 500 lines.

the other old skool artifact is from painters algorithm.. tris are draw in order of distance from viewer. distance is calculated form the center, so it fails if eg. there is a tiny triangle further away but "on top" of it. it works pretty good if your tris are about the same size though. i added a bit of rnd to the grid poisition of points in my height fields, which exhibits artifacts more but still not often.. and also very familiar from classic games.

here's an eg. where part of a tri shouldn't be visible but is..
step back a bit and we can see the real terrain..

crouching and jumping = ctrl and shift

still under 500 lines. doesn't that sound achievable?

Return to “xoxos”