T6 reviewed in new (July 2015) Computer Music mag

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

8/10. They don't think it's pretty enough. I can't really see what else could be changed, apart from colours and shapes.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Just some of my tips (very usuall things with other daws):
1) Better Stability (i have same graphical glitches also), sandboxing plugins and support bridging 32/64 bit.
2) More advanced step sequencer with panning and maybe also something else...
3) Virtual midi keyboard
4) Ghost notes and clip aliases
5) Better midi system (can be very specific problem but when i am working with midi by mouse i hear glitches)
5) Scale and chord chooser
6) Better native plugins
7) More metering options
8) Posibility of replacing all selected audio clips
9) Possibility of glueing midi clip and modulation envelope like Reaper has.
10) Changing program and another midi events inside the clip should have better control, it is difficult to paint exact values.

I hate to say it because I love Tracktion and because it's objective, but the default colour scheme is a little off-putting to me. I only liked one of the other included colour schemes. I've been using my own (that I made a thread about recently) for a while now and it makes a world of difference as far as looking more 'pro' (to me). The one gigazaga has posted shots of recently seems nice too.

Other than that, I just wish they had a clever way to organize the mixer/plugin area so that it looked better when using lots of plugins. Not sure what they could do (a wrapper with a drop down menu or something?). I know they don't want to change things very much and that's understandable, but visually that's the only other thing I can see improving.

Anyhow, good to see a review and along with the new free version, I hope to see a growing user base.

fwsuperhero wrote: 3) Virtual midi keyboard
Go to: Settings - > MIDI Devices
Click: Green button - Create New Virtual MIDI Input
Name it e.g. Virtual MIDI :D
On a MIDI track select the new Virtual MIDI Input.
Lock the input properties panel.
There you have a virtual MIDI keyboard.
fwsuperhero wrote: 10) Changing program and another midi events inside the clip should have better control, it is difficult to paint exact values.
You can insert a program change at the cursor position:
- place the cursor where you want the PC to occur.
- look for the green button 'insert program change' on the midi clip properties panel
- click it and choose from the drop down menu:
Insert a program change at the cursor position

Thank you, i didnt knew that tracktion has it own virtual midi keyboard. I am very interested how it look and behaves. I will try it tonight.
And the second point sounds good.

fwsuperhero wrote:Just some of my tips (very usuall things with other daws):
1) Better Stability (i have same graphical glitches also), sandboxing plugins and support bridging 32/64 bit.
10) Changing program and another midi events inside the clip should have better control, it is difficult to paint exact values.
I meant to make it prettier!
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

jabe wrote:8/10. They don't think it's pretty enough. I can't really see what else could be changed, apart from colours and shapes.
Considering it hasn't really changed that much, it's a pretty odd criticism. CM has always been pro Tracktion, no idea why this wasn't an issue before, but now it is?

Still, it's not like their reviews are that great; I think I've only ever seen one product score a 6 (in 10+ years of reading), it seems that everything gets at least 8/10 these days. I guess you don't want to piss off advertisers?
:?
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

mcnelson wrote: I think I've only ever seen one product score a 6 (in 10+ years of reading), it seems that everything gets at least 8/10 these days. I guess you don't want to piss off advertisers?
:?
I stopped to read computer and future music while ago because they are not objective. Everythig is good in this mag, even if it is crap.
In my opinion 8/10 is for a near perfect DAW, like Logic X but T6 currently does not deserve this note.
I remenber CM writting MC303 Roland was a wonderfull gear sounding like a TB303, which is naturally completelly wrong. It was the worst sounding gear around.

I think they negociate the note with there advertisers.

I think you're being a bit harsh there. There is a marking scale with descriptions, which looks like this:

10 Exceptional, it just doesn't get any better than this!
9 Excellent. First-rate and among the best you can buy
8 Very good. A well-conceived and executed product
7 Solid. Well worth considering
6 A decent product that's only held back by a few flaws
5 This product's problems outweight its merits
1-4 A seriously flawed product that should be avoided

The latest magazine has marks ranging from 7 to 10. Being realistic, if someone produces software or hardware or "soundware", and gives it a half-decent amount of testing, it should be able to get at least a 6, otherwise it's just not ready for the market. It's not long since they gave something less than 6.

9/10 and 10/10 are for near-perfect DAWs, not 8/10. If they didn't use 9 and 10, they'd end the scale at 8.
Last edited by jabe on Sun May 17, 2015 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jabe wrote:It's not long since they gave something less than 6.
I can honestly say I don't think I've ever seen a score less than 6. Hell, even a 6 is rare. It seems everything is between 7-10.

Caveat: I generally ignore the "soundware" reviews (which iirc have only been featured for a couple of years), just talking about software.
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

For software, it would take poor programming, testing, and judgment to get below 6. It should be obvious whether something is ready for release or not.

Just flicking through back issues: T5 got 8 last June. Reason 8 got 8 at Christmas. Steinberg's FD Fader Control got a 5 a few years back. A gadget called the Alphasphere Nexus got a 5 last May.

Return to “Tracktion”