Cost of soundbanks - often expensive

For discussion and announcements of soundware - patches, presets, soundsets, soundbanks, loop libraries, construction kits, MIDI libraries, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Markku wrote:There is a lot of sense in buying presets even if you want to make them on your own. I like to see how they're constructed; often it's easier than creating from scratch. Then I can mutate them towards what I want.

Sometimes someone creates presets which are just what you need; then, it's time saver to have a good preset.

I have bought a synth for just one (preset) sound. If this sounds insane, ask yourself, how many sounds your guitar/piano/whatever has?

Exactly this.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

mcnoone wrote:
trimph1 wrote:Where is Rob-Lee when you need him? :party: :party:
He's busy playing with his new microkorg, like me.
see---> http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... g#p6097743
:tu: :love:

I love my microkorg.... :tu:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

trimph1 wrote:
mcnoone wrote:

You have the XL+ or the original?
We got the XL+ which has an additional filter, more polyphony, and some other extras.
It can import older XL sounds, but I don't think it imports the original mk.

basslinemaster wrote:
I don't agree - complaining on a forum means that soundbank makers may read our complaints. I bought the AIEP in May, I must have got 4,000 or more presets with the various synths - maybe 5,000. What I'm trying to say is that if a soundbank costs over a certain amount, there is no way I can justify buying it, when I can just save up a little and buy another VST. I do agree that we should vote with our wallets - who isn't?

I realize that an author may sell enough of a soundbank at a higher price to make it worthwhile, I'm just stating what I can and can't afford to pay, and thus I won't buy those soundbanks. The prices seem to have gone up a lot over the past ten years.
Quantity/Quality approach. You could also have thousands of presets for free in freeware synths. You could also have thousands of quality presets also by buying something like Omnisphere.

But still, in both cases, you wont have these presets designed by this sound designer for this synth Maybe presets are not *art*, but they are not exchangeable either. Presets made by Mr X will certainly not be the same than those created by Ms Y. So it's not just 'quantity' and kg or piles of presets. It's something else

I remember the days where I was looking for a good sampled Rhodes. And it was a lot of money for *one preset*. And the one I bought was expensive, but still not really sounding like the real thing. But .... it was a pleasure to play, and I dont regret anything.

I certainly dont want to sound harsh, but the people who cant consider buying one hundred of new instruments that could help make their music more pleasurable for them to play for the price of a couple of pizzas I consider as hobbyists. Nothing wrong with beeing a hobbyist, a lot of my friends and users belong to that category. As opposed to some other sound designers I really dig playing with presets created by other sound designers than me. Some just instantaneously inspire me. And I -still- learn from some as well. Nothing will stop me to buy the sounds I think I need for my music, at least under a certain price tag. And certainly not when this price is related to the pizza exchange market. Ymmv.
Last edited by Lotuzia on Thu May 21, 2015 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

mcnoone wrote:
trimph1 wrote:
mcnoone wrote:

You have the XL+ or the original?
We got the XL+ which has an additional filter, more polyphony, and some other extras.
It can import older XL sounds, but I don't think it imports the original mk.
I got both here...XL+ and the original...
Barry

Lotuzia wrote:
basslinemaster wrote:
I don't agree - complaining on a forum means that soundbank makers may read our complaints. I bought the AIEP in May, I must have got 4,000 or more presets with the various synths - maybe 5,000. What I'm trying to say is that if a soundbank costs over a certain amount, there is no way I can justify buying it, when I can just save up a little and buy another VST. I do agree that we should vote with our wallets - who isn't?

I realize that an author may sell enough of a soundbank at a higher price to make it worthwhile, I'm just stating what I can and can't afford to pay, and thus I won't buy those soundbanks. The prices seem to have gone up a lot over the past ten years.
Quantity/Quality approach. You could also have thousands of presets for free in freeware synths. You could also have thousands of quality presets also by buying something like Omnisphere.

But still, in both cases, you wont have these presets designed by this sound designer for this synth Maybe presets are not *art*, but they are not exchangeable either. Presets made by Mr X will certainly not be the same than those created by Ms Y. So it's not just 'quantity' and kg or piles of presets. It's something else

I remember the days where I was looking for a good sampled Rhodes. And it was a lot of money for *one preset*. And the one I bought was expensive, but still not really sounding like the real thing. But .... it was a pleasure to play, and I dont regret anything.

I certainly dont want to sound harsh, but the people who cant consider buying one hundred of new instruments that could make help make their music more pleasurable for them to play for the price of a couple of pizzas I consider as hobbyists. Nothing wrong with beeing a hobbyist, a lot of my friends and users belong to that category. As opposed to some other sound designers I really dig playing with presets created by other sound designers by me. Some just instantaneously inspire me. And I -still- learn from some as well. Nothing will stop me to buy the sounds I think I need for my music, at least under a certain price tag. And certainly not when this price is related to the pizza exchange market. Ymmv.
Hey!!! I'm a hobbyist and I spend money on soundsets for crying out loud!! :x :x

:hihi:
Barry

oops

trimph1 wrote: I got both here...XL+ and the original...
Can you produce music demos for the sounds I'm working on Barry?

mcnoone wrote:
I might be able to pull summat off...
Barry

Lotuzia wrote:oops
It's OK... :) :)
Barry

trimph1 wrote:
mcnoone wrote:
Great, I'll send you the sounds through pm, and give the details.
It won't be finished for another month, so you'll have a lot of time to do them.
Thanks.

mcnoone wrote:
trimph1 wrote:
mcnoone wrote:
Great, I'll send you the sounds through pm, and give the details.
It won't be finished for another month, so you'll have a lot of time to do them.
Thanks.
Will do.
Barry

Let's not forget that many banks holding 99-128 patches often only have a handful that each of us find usable according to our personal tastes. Which brings me to something I say often enough. I'd much rather have a per patch price like iTunes/Amazon does for individuals with break points for buying ten, twenty and so on.

But then the designers would know exactly what no one wants from them and that means they might have to adapt to the market instead of forcing the market to take it all or nothing.

Kebab shop?

Ben H wrote:I'd rather take 40 well-designed, usable, useful presets over 1000 or 1500 or so that might come bundled with a synth, that are all unusable or sound like crap.

Sound-designing is a niche, and one thing I personally am not good at. So to have a handful of presets that inspire me to write songs and pieces, rather than having to flip through a lot of dross to find something useful is definitely worth the money to me. :shrug:
Care to show us any examples of synths that have thousands of crap presets?
Let me list some of the synths I bought in the past year:
Dune 2
Hybrid 3
Loom
Vacuum Pro
XPand! 2

They don't have presets that are unusable or sound like crap, they have fantastic, usable presets. Look at Blue 2, that has thousands of fantastic presets, as do most if not all of Rob Papen's synths, because he is a preset designer.

I have yet to be disappointed with the presets that came bundled with any of the synths I've bought.

I've just tried the latest Hive demo, and that also has loads of fantastic presets, and is currently about £65, until the release date, and it has 2,700 presets (correct me if I'm wrong). How cheap would a 128 preset soundbank have to be, to be worth buying after paying only £65 for the synth?

Return to “Soundware”