Hive 1.0 Release Candidate - intro offer has ended June 2nd

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yea that will work, but its limited to be inside the envelope editor per-clip. They are wanting it to show up on the arrange timeline like any other parameter on a vst that they could automate across the entire timeline and not on a per-clip basis.

Which is usually why if someone wants to automate something like that they see what the mod is attached to and then just automate that since it can be done across multiple clips

I see, I always record automation as I play so it tends to be attached to whatever chunk of midi I've just recorded.

Yes, within the editor, you mean this:

But it would be nice to have a lane here:

To draw nice modwheel automation like this:

Robert Henke has a useful Max for Live patch called ControlChange8 that allows for MIDI CC automation in Live's Arrange view. It's free and can be downloaded here:
http://roberthenke.com/technology/m4l.html

2ZrgE wrote:Yes, within the editor, you mean this:

I mean this:
Live.png
But yeah, I have dreamt of a host that treats midi cc and host automation similarly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Howard wrote:
fourthmanfire wrote:I tried ... mapping the "Constant" source to the ModWheel, thus being able to modulate the modulated knob.
I don't know what you mean (or are trying to achieve) there, fourthmanfire, but using Constant for anything other than a static offset makes no sense and won't work. Because it's a constant :-)
Again, no big deal, because I have a workaround now. But, I'll try to clarify.

Typically, to automate a parameter within Ableton's arrangement view, I will move the particular parameter (say, OSC 1 detune) within Hive. When I do that, it appears in Ableton's lane as a modulation parameter. I can then draw (or record) automation for that parameter.

When I move the modwheel within Hive, however, it does NOT show up in Ableton's arrangement view lane.

So, since the modwheel is not able to be modulated within the arrangement view, I tried to map the modwheel to be modulated by "Constant". After I made this connection, I tried to modulate the "constant" knob up and down.

For instance, I used this successfully when trying to modulate pitch. Use "Constant" as the source to modulate OSC 1 tune. Then you can draw automation in the lane using that particular MM1 knob. (I realize you can do this more directly by simply drawing automation for the OSC 1 tune, but I'm trying to illustrate my thought process in trying to modulate the modwheel like i can modulate other parameters.)

Sim.Sky wrote:hey there,

i have a problem/question concerning the latest version of hive: when i flip through the bass presets during midi playback there are many click and pop noises, they range from quiet to very loud - is this how it should be? i'm using the au version in logic pro x
will i get an answer or is my question not worth your attention? ;)

fourthmanfire wrote:
Howard wrote:
fourthmanfire wrote:I tried ... mapping the "Constant" source to the ModWheel, thus being able to modulate the modulated knob.
I don't know what you mean (or are trying to achieve) there, fourthmanfire, but using Constant for anything other than a static offset makes no sense and won't work. Because it's a constant :-)
Again, no big deal, because I have a workaround now. But, I'll try to clarify.

Typically, to automate a parameter within Ableton's arrangement view, I will move the particular parameter (say, OSC 1 detune) within Hive. When I do that, it appears in Ableton's lane as a modulation parameter. I can then draw (or record) automation for that parameter.

When I move the modwheel within Hive, however, it does NOT show up in Ableton's arrangement view lane.

So, since the modwheel is not able to be modulated within the arrangement view, I tried to map the modwheel to be modulated by "Constant". After I made this connection, I tried to modulate the "constant" knob up and down.

For instance, I used this successfully when trying to modulate pitch. Use "Constant" as the source to modulate OSC 1 tune. Then you can draw automation in the lane using that particular MM1 knob. (I realize you can do this more directly by simply drawing automation for the OSC 1 tune, but I'm trying to illustrate my thought process in trying to modulate the modwheel like i can modulate other parameters.)
If you have Max for Live use the ControlChange8 patch I mentioned above. You'll be able to just move the ControlChange8 knob assigned to MIDI CC 1, and Live will pick it up for automation. Plus you can then use host automation lanes to send out MIDI CCs to Hive, or any other plug-in/hardware.

You have to think of the Mod, Pitch, and Keyboard display in Hive as just that, a display of the incoming midi data, rather than parameters of Hive.

BR393 wrote: If you have Max for Live use the ControlChange8 patch I mentioned above. You'll be able to just move the ControlChange8 knob assigned to MIDI CC 1, and Live will pick it up for automation. Plus you can then use host automation lanes to send out MIDI CCs to Hive, or any other plug-in/hardware.

You have to think of the Mod, Pitch, and Keyboard display in Hive as just that, a display of the incoming midi data, rather than parameters of Hive.
Yeah, I hear you on the new/proper way of thinking. And unfortunately, I don't have Max4Live..

aMUSEd wrote:But yeah, I have dreamt of a host that treats midi cc and host automation similarly.
That's pretty much how I work in Reaper + ReaControlMidi. I prefer to tweak an automation envelope for MIDI CC while playing a loop than record it live. The only data in the MIDI clip lanes are my notes and note velocities. I will admit it's a complete pain to convert played CC (modwheel, knobs, etc) into automation envelopes though. I wish I had a way to do that.
Feel free to call me Brian.

The UI still isn't quite stable. I'm still finding it's 'folding' sometimes.

It tends to even itself out if I play around with parameters near it.

Sim.Sky wrote:

i have a problem/question concerning the latest version of hive: when i flip through the bass presets during midi playback there are many click and pop noises, they range from quiet to very loud - is this how it should be? i'm using the au version in logic pro x
Clicks and pops are just as likely to be a latency problem in your DAW as they are problems with a preset. To check if it's due to a preset, try increasing the amp attack and decay parameters until the noises disappear. If they don't disappear, it's probably down to latency.

Sim.Sky wrote:

We flush the internal state of the synth when presets are switched. This may click or pop, but it shouldn't be too loud at all.

If we don't do this and if you switch from preset with volume set to 10 to one with volume set to 100 you can get really nasty, speaker blowing spikes. What we do is the lesser evil IMHO...

We thought about smooth fades. But that would make certain things impossible. We might still make it an option in the future.

BR393 wrote:Robert Henke has a useful Max for Live patch called ControlChange8 that allows for MIDI CC automation in Live's Arrange view. It's free and can be downloaded here:
http://roberthenke.com/technology/m4l.html
Great, thanks for the hint. :tu:

Thank you Urs for this instrument! Its great, but besides all the suggestions i wrote :) i have another request to make.

Please add more Sources for Sequencer's modulator + negative value for CC in it :)

Return to “u-he”