Starting off as producer. Feedback??

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://soundcloud.com/timdejonge/dzeko ... nd-maestro

Made this a few days ago. Some constructive critisism/opinions?

I don't like the intro. But the rest is good especially the middle part.

Is this a remix from a song?

By producer do you mean a beatmaker, or a remixer, or a deejay??

It's best not to use that term unless you actually are looking at producing, it's inaccurate and too confusing.

Pretty much, a producer knows a bit about music, a bit about sound engineering, a bit about crafting sound and audience demographics. They will usually have access to a variety of resources like musicians and engineers, know what it takes to achieve a particular style or sound and how to get the best out of their performers. They will also usually work between a few different genres of music, generally speaking.

That is generally what a producer does.

The question remains, is that what you mean by a producer?? If not then you may want to use one of the other terms above to clarify your intention :)

Goede shit!

simon.a.billington wrote:By producer do you mean a beatmaker, or a remixer, or a deejay??
Sorry for offtopic question, but which of these terms you would use to describe a person who creates ambient or synthpop music? Just wondering.
Peace and tolerance

simon.a.billington wrote:By producer do you mean a beatmaker, or a remixer, or a deejay??

It's best not to use that term unless you actually are looking at producing, it's inaccurate and too confusing.

~~~~~~~~
The world has moved on and you are being left behind.......................

I'm in agreement. The term producer isn't "beat maker" or "musician". The word means something else and is father specific in music and then different again in television/film.

What's the point in communication if we don't try to speak the same language when speaking the same language?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

That's right look at the credits on songs and albums. Do a search on famous producers throughout history. Most don't make beats.

So okay if you are now calling beatmakers producers, than what are you calling producers?? It's possible to do both, but an old school producer does something entirely different from a beatmaker or deejay. Therefore, they really need to be differentiated from.

But why bother, beatmakers and deejays already have a job title, it's beatmakers and deejays.

It would be so much clearer if people didn't mix up the terminology.

If we suddenly want around calling apples oranges... Then what do we call oranges??

And there was me thinking that, in all kinds of electronic music and especially on this forum, those lines are blurred these days.
Splitting hairs imho.

BDeep wrote:And there was me thinking that, in all kinds of electronic music and especially on this forum, those lines are blurred these days.
Splitting hairs imho.
Agreed. For the narrow sense of the word meaning the traditional producer role, the term is "the traditional producer role".

Reminds me of a music teacher I had who was astonished to learn that The Beatles had a guy whose job it was to come up with the titles for their songs ... The record sleeve said "All titles produced by George Martin".

If the producer is the guy who comes up with ideas and works out how to put things together, then the current usage makes sense.

Personally I prefer to think of my hobbyist self as a "musician" and an "artist". Nothing pretentious about that, it's just that "producer" sounds too much like "sausage maker" or "assembly line operator" to me. I do this to explore, create, learn and have fun, not to manufacture a product.

It becomes unclear when someone asks for tips to become a producer.

At first I thought it was of the traditional variety and it stands to reason people would want to learn how to produce, I know I did. Then as I was writing it later occurred to me it could that could be a reference to beatmaking/deejaying.

Without a context it's impossible to say. Regardless of whether the lines have been blurred some kind of context is required to fully understand the question so it's possible to provide the correct feedback.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”