Cost of soundbanks - often expensive

For discussion and announcements of soundware - patches, presets, soundsets, soundbanks, loop libraries, construction kits, MIDI libraries, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Markku wrote:There is a lot of sense in buying presets even if you want to make them on your own. I like to see how they're constructed; often it's easier than creating from scratch. Then I can mutate them towards what I want.
Can't you do exactly the same thing with the presets that are included with the VST?

Markku wrote: Sometimes someone creates presets which are just what you need; then, it's time saver to have a good preset.
Yes, I agree, but I have yet to hear any preset that made me want to pay over a certain amount for a soundbank. I think to myself - I've got ten VSTs, that's over ten thousand included presets, I can doubtless find something I want among those, and I always do.
Markku wrote: I have bought a synth for just one (preset) sound. If this sounds insane, ask yourself, how many sounds your guitar/piano/whatever has?

(I see there are many really good preset makers already commenting in this thread; I hope they get at least a decent pay for their efforts...)
So do I, lower prices doesn't necessarily mean less pay, but no purchase from me (and doubtless others) due to high prices = no pay.

I once bought alot but not anymore. :)
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

BBFG# wrote:Let's not forget that many banks holding 99-128 patches often only have a handful that each of us find usable according to our personal tastes. Which brings me to something I say often enough. I'd much rather have a per patch price like iTunes/Amazon does for individuals with break points for buying ten, twenty and so on.

But then the designers would know exactly what no one wants from them and that means they might have to adapt to the market instead of forcing the market to take it all or nothing.
And so, this implies one audio demo per preset ( at least ), because if its not the case how would you rate the sound ?, and very sophisticated back end baskets routines to handle all that, including the ability to built & deliver custom packs of presets ( or should it be done manually to loose a bit more money for the devs side), so an incredible amount of additional work, because some users are reluctant to pay the price of two pizzas to get the sounds that they supposedly want/desire ?

Sorry but I'm not sure you're after the good solution. Any sound designer adopting your solution would simply loose his time and his money, go bankrupt, and therefore would become unable to further serve & provide additional presets to any potential users in no time. And well, that's all.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

And to BLMaster ..... I'll just add that the presets *one wants* at T time are highly subject to change over time. You can discover many years after having got it what a particular preset can do for you, because your skills have improved, your taste has evolved, as well as your music and your global vision of it.

This is why I enjoy so much some presets made by other people, because some surprise me, some are instantaneously inspiring, or take me out of my confort zone and make me consider new things to do/add in my music.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

basslinemaster wrote:
Markku wrote:There is a lot of sense in buying presets even if you want to make them on your own. I like to see how they're constructed; often it's easier than creating from scratch. Then I can mutate them towards what I want.
Can't you do exactly the same thing with the presets that are included with the VST?
Of course. But if a new (non-factory) preset presents a new sound?
basslinemaster wrote:
Markku wrote: Sometimes someone creates presets which are just what you need; then, it's time saver to have a good preset.
Yes, I agree, but I have yet to hear any preset that made me want to pay over a certain amount for a soundbank. I think to myself - I've got ten VSTs, that's over ten thousand included presets, I can doubtless find something I want among those, and I always do.
I have way too many synths, probably there would be enough possibilities for anyone. But often I want something new...
basslinemaster wrote:
Markku wrote: I have bought a synth for just one (preset) sound. If this sounds insane, ask yourself, how many sounds your guitar/piano/whatever has?

(I see there are many really good preset makers already commenting in this thread; I hope they get at least a decent pay for their efforts...)
So do I, lower prices doesn't necessarily mean less pay, but no purchase from me (and doubtless others) due to high prices = no pay.
I can understand that very well. I just think it's better spent in presets than in, say, beer.

Lotuzia wrote: I certainly dont want to sound harsh, but the people who cant consider buying one hundred of new instruments that could help make their music more pleasurable for them to play for the price of a couple of pizzas I consider as hobbyists.
I am definitely a hobbyist, but I explained my reasoning - I would rather buy a completely new VST for £30 - £60 (or secondhand VST) and get 1,000 presets AND a completely new VST, than spend £15 on 128 presets, then another £15 on another 128 presets, or £30 for 128 presets (I've seen prices as high as that). It just doesn't make sense to me - with Hybrid 3, and Vacuum Pro, for example, I can layer two presets together within the synths, and easily make new sounds. And I can use Chainer in FL Studio to layer as many VSTs as I want together, and make new sounds that way, and it's much quicker than trying to make a new sound from scratch.

mcnoone wrote:
trimph1 wrote: I got both here...XL+ and the original...
Can you produce music demos for the sounds I'm working on Barry?
Can you start a new thread or discuss this via PM? It has nothing whatsoever to do with the thread I started.

IDK... I guess I'd rather have a few good synths than dozens or hundreds of so so synths that I have to fight against to get useful sounds from (or sounds to my taste). Especially since I don't think I'll ever be at the callibre of some of the preset designers on here. :shrug:

Plus, I guess the other argument FOR purchasing presets is that you can turn an ordinary or average sounding synth into something special with the right presets. So buying a few good preset banks means that you haven't entirely wasted your money on a terrible synth, and you've INCREASED its usefulness. ;)
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

basslinemaster wrote:
mcnoone wrote:
Can you start a new thread or discuss this via PM? It has nothing whatsoever to do with the thread I started.
Could you stop telling people what to do in a public forum.
Your rant has already been answered. Your thread is done.
If it's too expensive for you.
Don't buy them. Simple.
...and regarding this statement.
Seeing as there is no way to copy protect soundbanks
That is incorrect.
There is a way to protect soundsets.

one day software will make the music and create presets for me, effortlessely and without the need of learning anything. I expect to buy it for 5 cents! :D :party: :clap:

Kriminal wrote:
trimph1 wrote:Where is Rob-Lee when you need him? :party: :party:
Kebab shop?
Now that would explain it. 8)
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

basslinemaster wrote:
mcnoone wrote:
You were too late.
Barry

trimph1 wrote:
basslinemaster wrote:
mcnoone wrote:
You were too late.
At least he wasn't too early...
Women hate that, apparently. :shrug:
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

Ben H wrote:
trimph1 wrote:
basslinemaster wrote:
mcnoone wrote:
You were too late.
At least he wasn't too early...
Women hate that, apparently. :shrug:
My wife said she would beat you with a pillow for that... :lol: :lol:
Barry

mcnoone wrote:Could you stop telling people what to do in a public forum.
Your rant has already been answered. Your thread is done.
If it's too expensive for you.
Don't buy them. Simple.
Errr.. It's the right of OP to ask not to derail his topic. Don't have a problem with it but rather with people telling others when their thread "is done".

You contradict your own advice anyway when you say that he "could stop telling people what to do in a public forum" but a sentence later you decide that "your thread is done".

If you don't like the length or direction of a thread it could be a good idea to simply move on instead of making such an arrogant statement imo.
Last edited by murnau on Fri May 22, 2015 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Return to “Soundware”