How to get a multitimbral MUX in a DAW

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

But I have to tell you, it feels a little bit like you may not have nearly as complicated a problem as it seems. I think, at least to me, some terms are confusing. If I was to have to give you advice, I'd ask you to explain your setup to me and what you want to achieve, just so that I was clear as to what best advice I could give you. When I read your post, it seems like you want to do something really unusual that requires a special setup. I wonder, if that really is the case, though? Maybe you are just very new to MuLab and have to figure out the basics, you know.

Anyway, obviously we're all happy to help! :hyper: :)

Thanks for the example Taron !
Impressive how you came up with this example and very appriciated. :)
I do understand the example, but the application is a MUX as a VSTi in my Composer program ( and not Mulab )

Then i must be possible for me to rebuild this in the MUX in my composer for preset (protected) and free sounds
Problem in the MUX as Vsti in the composer is for preset sounds (protected) as starting point that there is no entrance to the MUX editor directly..

Oh, I hope someone, who has mux as vsti will jump on that, because I don't. I'm always in MuLab, you know, never looked back to any other DAW (for long), so...
So, you have the regular MUX vsti, fully functional, or just some sort of demo? I have no idea how Jo is offering this, you know. :shrug:
Sounds like you would have some restrictions? *protected?

It also sounds like you want to have everything happening in MUX and only use your composer to automate what's going on inside the mux. Almost like having MuLab without...eh... MuLab, haha :lol:
That's kinda cool! 8-)

I wonder...uh...oh man, that does sound a little weird. Now I understand, I think. You want to send from your composer different channels (midi) into one MUX so that inside the MUX different instruments can be controlled. Similar to Kontakt, where you use different midi channels to send into one instance of Kontakt. AAhhhhhh....hmmm, yeah, that sounds clever and should be possible. If it wasn't possible, then that's something that should be made possible! :D
Last edited by Taron on Fri May 22, 2015 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yes, i am new to using the MUX ...so some basic knowledge is needed
For the MUX as Vsti in the Composer the first use is adding a sound (protected or free) and adding insert and send effects
That seems to me basic stuff..but your wiring diagram shows that is more complicated
In your example there is not a dedicated effect rack audio routing..that is also the case for the MUX (vsti) in the composer.

Now i must find out how to handle the preset(protected) sounds in MUX vsti :tu:

Oh sorry, I just edited my text above there... and was too slow, haha. :dog:

One little question, though, if you don't mind me asking... why don't you use MuLab?

And just as important.... exactly what composer/DAW are you using
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

Yes, using the MUX editor fully to the max is in MUlab itself, but i bought also MUX5 as Vsti and that i want to use in my composer too for now.
A MUX6 vsti demo is for download to get.
There is/are a soundmodule(s)(more?) in the MUX vsti that have "protected" sounds--> no MUX editor to go to the synth itself
How Using these protected sounds in the MUX vsti and adding a effect ??

Ahhhh,I see, see, that's what I didn't know about the mux plugin. I suppose a synth preset needs a front panel, which you can adjust. That would be very weird to me, almost mildly defeating the purpose, but it would make sense why you'd be confused about that.

At least it all seems clearer to me now! I guess, you'd need a full version to enter poly synth modules. I hope, that is what the problem is!?
I think there is a cross product purchase discount, though. I do very much believe that it's very, very worth it.

For the composer i use now Synfire ( why using Synfire.. asks Taron ?: easier composing ..) and using HAlion5 as multitimbral VSti in this composer works fantastic for choosing sounds and effect mixing.
The intial idea was to look if this was also possible for a MUX Vsti in the composer to get the same working as the HALion5, but it seems that i cannot transform the MUX vsti in a multi timbral Vsti for the composer and the effect routing seems to be possible accoording the wiring diagram from @Taron when i do some work under the hood ( the mux editor )

Could it be that the MUX6 demo is restricted for some soundmodules as @Taron noticed? :)
I @Taron ..wonder...uh...oh man, that does sound a little weird. Now I understand, I think. You want to send from your composer different channels (midi) into one MUX so that inside the MUX different instruments can be controlled. Similar to Kontakt, where you use different midi channels to send into one instance of Kontakt. AAhhhhhh....hmmm, yeah, that sounds clever and should be possible. If it wasn't possible, then that's something that should be made possible!
Fantastic to get at least a multitimbral MUX vst in the composer.. load one time the MUX vsti and assign the sounds to the midi channels..
Last edited by janhardo on Fri May 22, 2015 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A MuX patch is a MuX patch whether for MuLab's MuX or standalone MuX. There's virtually no difference. MuLab has the Session modular area, too, which is basically the same, but you can't save as a MuX patch (it's saved as part of the session).

Next, MuX standalone comes in two flavours - Effect and Instrument. They're exactly the same thing, literally. The only difference is that one tells the host via the VST API that it's an effect and the other says it's an instrument. Some hosts need this differentiation, some don't. (Those with MuLab who have MuX standalone can see this: both have two stereo audio inputs and one MIDI input, plus four stereo audio outputs and one MIDI output.)

A MuX patch is just the content of a MuX modular area saved with a particular name (and maybe visible in your User Library Folder if you saved it in the right place). The location you save them in determines whether you consider them an effect or instrument - nothing else. A patch can have as many audio or event (MIDI) inputs and outputs as you like. If you save one with no inputs or outputs and then Add it to MuX, you'll see a new module with no inputs or outputs. Double-clicking opens the modular area for that module - or its front panel, maybe. If it has a front panel, you can get to its modular area by clicking the "Show Modular Area" icon on its toolbar.

OK, so far we have it that - for each MuX you insert in your host, you can feed in up to two stereo audio channels and an event channel and get out up to four stereo channels and an event channel.

However, those limitations are not present inside each MuX. You can create modules in the MuX with many more ins and outs as needed by the patch you're building.

Pretty much the only limitation is on that final interface between each MuX and the host.
Last edited by pljones on Fri May 22, 2015 11:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

Next, separate subject. Each audio connection has properties you can edit - no need to insert extra stuff between modules to adjust "send amount", simply right-click and adjust the gain on that connection.

Thanks for the explanation!
From this i must conclude that MUX vsti not can be rebuild into at least a multitimbral Vsti for my host composer? :wink:

Is 8 mono outs not multi-timbral?

Halion 5 as Vsti in de host composer is working flawless.
I extract for HAlion5 a device description for the rack in the composer and assign the 16 fixed available midi channels in the rack (there are more premade device description to assign..for midi or mixed mode ( fixed channel + midi channels), but that is not topic here)

When i made rack in the composer for MUX vsti it seems that the output (synths) are all monophonic ( only one midi channel )
So when i assign a second channel in a rack it gets the again sound of channel 1
Probably the same occur in Cubase...

I don't know if 8 mono outs are assignable from the MUX vsti to midi channels in the host composer.. i don't think so , because i tried this already

Return to “MUTOOLS”