Cost of soundbanks - often expensive

For discussion and announcements of soundware - patches, presets, soundsets, soundbanks, loop libraries, construction kits, MIDI libraries, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

trimph1 wrote:
Ben H wrote:At least he wasn't too early...
Women hate that, apparently. :shrug:
My wife said she would beat you with a pillow for that... :lol: :lol:

:lol:

Deep, very deep.

basslinemaster wrote:Is it just me, or are soundbanks really, really expensive nowadays? Somebody on one of the other forums announced their new soundbank for Hive, which has only 40 presets, and they said they are going to be asking £15 for it. Hive comes with 2,700 presets, and is only £64 odd before release on 2nd June, isn't £15 for 40 more presets asking too much? Especially for only 40 presets.
I'm sure I remember a time when nobody would attempt to bring out a soundbank without 128 presets in it, and they were generally well under £10, for 128 presets. Seeing as there is no way to copy protect soundbanks, aren't they setting their prices too high?
(I'm hoping nobody replies with "You're trying to undervalue the hard work that preset designers do", etc. as that clearly isn't what I'm saying at all... a lower selling price in no way equals smaller profits...)
I think you talking about my sounds, that i just finished. I worked with it around a Month actually and it's a 40 very usefull sounds. I'm working as trance producer more than 15 years and 10 year profeccionally - means, releasing music on top labels from Spinnin to Armada, giging etc. So i know how to do a really great sound. Most synth can't give you what u want from them - so that's why producer's doing a sounds for the synthesizer. It's like addon for synthesizer, so nothing strange that sometime coast of sounds can be a 1/4 or more from coast of synth. Well, it's your choise buy or no the sounds, but just check this demo that i just posted with those 15 pounds sounds, and maybe u will do not understand why it's not can coast 25 pounds or more;) And try to find something in a built-in Hive bank.. (maybe some great sounds from every producer can be not bad(but it's not a complete bank of every great sound), but mostly producer's don't doing a great sounds for factory bank, just because it's a hard work to do a super finished sound..so they doing a external bank's)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Ymuhx-kMA
Last edited by NatLife on Fri May 22, 2015 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VST & Hardware presets, FL Studio templates, samples and MIDI from NatLife & friends -www.natlifesounds.com

basslinemaster wrote:
Care to show us any examples of synths that have thousands of crap presets?

Sylenth1

NatLife wrote:And try to find something in a built-in Hive bank..
Look under Aiyn Zahev :tu:

Passing Bye wrote:
I think Aiyn will do another external bank for HIVE, and you will see the difference between his factory sounds and external;)
VST & Hardware presets, FL Studio templates, samples and MIDI from NatLife & friends -www.natlifesounds.com

Kriminal wrote:
basslinemaster wrote:

Sylenth1
hhh)) it's more than 100 vst synths, maybe more than 200, where is thousand of sounds a real crap that needs alot of work for finishing it like must be.

Lotuzia wrote:Our soundbanks are right priced ( ie not like the prices you describe) and sell very well ( Might be related with their price, as seen as *right* by our users ).

A soundbank takes us a minimum of one month of work. ( And not 35 hours per week, but a lot more ) I might be very slow, but afaik, most sound designers are equally slow, and therefore it should take approx the same time for any average user.

If you think that paying the price of a couple of pizzas is too expensive to avoid you to work one month to get a similar number of patches, well it's very simple : People are totally free not to buy any soundbank.

And finally, even if you work one month to make your own patches, they won't be the same than the ones designed by another person : Maybe better -for you-, or maybe worse -for you-, but mainly, in the end, totally different. And well, that might answer your question.
I agree that it is a lot of work to make patches. Even I as a hobbyist spend hours on a single patch if necessary. It never seems to be good enough :P

Luckily sound sets are for other genres, anyway, hence irrelevant to me. But if they were for me, I suppose one issue would be the percentage of usable patches. Like with records, often there are only 1 or 2 gems on an album, while the rest is mediocre at best. That is why I am very happy about being able to buy individual songs online these days. That would also be good for patches. It would also give the sound designers feedback on which of their patches are actually popular and which are not.

NatLife wrote:
Kriminal wrote:
basslinemaster wrote:

Sylenth1
hhh)) it's more than 100 vst synths, maybe more than 200, where is thousand of sounds a real crap that needs alot of work for finishing it like must be.
No idea what that means....

Kriminal wrote:
NatLife wrote:
Kriminal wrote:
basslinemaster wrote:

Sylenth1
No idea what that means....
It means that more than 80% of synthesizer have a crap factory sounds. As for me) I have a big criterion for sounds.

NatLife wrote:
Passing Bye wrote:
I think Aiyn will do another external bank for HIVE, and you will see the difference between his factory sounds and external;)
Well, if he do even better one, than I guess even more money to him than and even less case for you :tu:

Maybe they are not crap as such, but only crap regarding your needs/music/taste...

Some or even most synths seem to be made for certain genres, but also appeal to people from very different backgrounds, so while the synth is great, the factory presets may seem inappropriate.

Passing Bye wrote:
NatLife wrote:
Passing Bye wrote:
Well, if he do even better one, than I guess even more money to him than and even less case for you :tu:
don't understood ur thing mate, sorry.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Maybe they are not crap as such, but only crap regarding your needs/music/taste...

Some or even most synths seem to be made for certain genres, but also appeal to people from very different backgrounds, so while the synth is great, the factory presets may seem inappropriate.
It's very near explanation to the topic starter.

Bought many banks in the past i can't say that stock presets are 80% crap compared to them but maybe it's just that i dont have that big criterion for sounds be it buying or using.. :D
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

NatLife wrote:
Passing Bye wrote:
NatLife wrote:
Passing Bye wrote:
don't understood ur thing mate, sorry.
That's obvious, I'm not the one that came here full of myself challenging anyone to find something good as yours in factory bank and than when I pointed out where to look, you made some totally not in your favor statement again, because if you forgot, that guy is your competitor on the market and when he makes even better bank, it's you who is going to be affected the most and now you are pretty much claiming you made better sounds than him and that he is on purpose doing not his best work, that's your case and ego ride, not mine, so enjoy the ride :party:

You did it all wrong, you could just make short version and be like "I'm trance producer and I did my take on trance, so anyone interested in just trance will have kick from it, I understand you don't see value in it for that reason", enough, but noo :tu:
Last edited by Passing Bye on Fri May 22, 2015 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Soundware”