Cost of soundbanks - often expensive

For discussion and announcements of soundware - patches, presets, soundsets, soundbanks, loop libraries, construction kits, MIDI libraries, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

murnau wrote:
mcnoone wrote:Could you stop telling people what to do in a public forum.
Your rant has already been answered. Your thread is done.
If it's too expensive for you.
Don't buy them. Simple.
Errr.. It's the right of OP to ask not to derail his topic.
Yes, and it's a posters right to tell the op, I don't agree with his/her request.
The thread has already derailed onto other topics, but his question was already answered.
If it's too expensive, don't buy it.
Like a house or a car.
That's not arrogant to say, but simply correct.

Lotuzia wrote:
BBFG# wrote:Let's not forget that many banks holding 99-128 patches often only have a handful that each of us find usable according to our personal tastes. Which brings me to something I say often enough. I'd much rather have a per patch price like iTunes/Amazon does for individuals with break points for buying ten, twenty and so on.

But then the designers would know exactly what no one wants from them and that means they might have to adapt to the market instead of forcing the market to take it all or nothing.
And so, this implies one audio demo per preset ( at least ), because if its not the case how would you rate the sound ?, and very sophisticated back end baskets routines to handle all that, including the ability to built & deliver custom packs of presets ( or should it be done manually to loose a bit more money for the devs side), so an incredible amount of additional work, because some users are reluctant to pay the price of two pizzas to get the sounds that they supposedly want/desire ?

Sorry but I'm not sure you're after the good solution. Any sound designer adopting your solution would simply loose his time and his money, go bankrupt, and therefore would become unable to further serve & provide additional presets to any potential users in no time. And well, that's all.
And perhaps they should. It would promote the market to be better with less 'fluffers' milking us. Not to mention getting a better sense of what people buy over what designers sell. Maybe there needs to be something like Amazon to do the selling for those that want to stay competitive in that realm, join the world market so to speak and not rely on an 'under the radar' attitude of selling more by stuffing the good with the bad in every package.
An analogy I could offer here is the Coca-Cola company. who distributes several different brands and makes their dealers buy more Coca-Cola to get the brands of soda that often sell out first on their shelves just so the MFG, could honestly tout that Coca-Cola is the number one seller. Aren't we finding that is the same with so many EDM banks?

And I understand you have a following and make good sounds that people use. I just don't happen to be one of them. At least your demos are indicative enough for me to pass yours by and let them be bought by those that do think more of them. Or price them more accordingly in the first place.

BBFG# wrote:
Lotuzia wrote:
BBFG# wrote:Let's not forget that many banks holding 99-128 patches often only have a handful that each of us find usable according to our personal tastes. Which brings me to something I say often enough. I'd much rather have a per patch price like iTunes/Amazon does for individuals with break points for buying ten, twenty and so on.

But then the designers would know exactly what no one wants from them and that means they might have to adapt to the market instead of forcing the market to take it all or nothing.
And so, this implies one audio demo per preset ( at least ), because if its not the case how would you rate the sound ?, and very sophisticated back end baskets routines to handle all that, including the ability to built & deliver custom packs of presets ( or should it be done manually to loose a bit more money for the devs side), so an incredible amount of additional work, because some users are reluctant to pay the price of two pizzas to get the sounds that they supposedly want/desire ?

Sorry but I'm not sure you're after the good solution. Any sound designer adopting your solution would simply loose his time and his money, go bankrupt, and therefore would become unable to further serve & provide additional presets to any potential users in no time. And well, that's all.
And perhaps they should. It would promote the market to be better with less 'fluffers' milking us. Not to mention getting a better sense of what people buy over what designers sell. Maybe there needs to be something like Amazon to do the selling for those that want to stay competitive in that realm, join the world market so to speak and not rely on an 'under the radar' attitude of selling more by stuffing the good with the bad in every package.
An analogy I could offer here is the Coca-Cola company. who distributes several different brands and makes their dealers buy more Coca-Cola to get the brands of soda that often sell out first on their shelves just so the MFG, could honestly tout that Coca-Cola is the number one seller. Aren't we finding that is the same with so many EDM banks?

And I understand you have a following and make good sounds that people use. I just don't happen to be one of them. At least your demos are indicative enough for me to pass yours by and let them be bought by those that do think more of them. Or price them more accordingly in the first place.
Hmmm like I said comparing a niche market with CocaCola wont lead you nowhere imho. My company doesnt distribute 'edm banks', if ever that acronym even means something real, so I really cant tell. What is certain however is that we have several thousands of users, and since a lot of years, only greetings and NOT A SINGLE unsatisfied customer :) And that probably says a lot more that anything else. And yes, you're right, the audio demos are there so that people can hear what they'll buy. Or at least spend an hopefully good moment hearing what can be done with a synth they own. And that's it. :shrug:
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

mcnoone wrote:
murnau wrote:
mcnoone wrote:Could you stop telling people what to do in a public forum.
Your rant has already been answered. Your thread is done.
If it's too expensive for you.
Don't buy them. Simple.
Errr.. It's the right of OP to ask not to derail his topic.
Yes, and it's a posters right to tell the op, I don't agree with his/her request.
The thread has already derailed onto other topics, but his question was already answered.
If it's too expensive, don't buy it.
Like a house or a car.
That's not arrogant to say, but simply correct.
Sorry, thats not exactly what i've read in your post. A public forum is for discussion there's no doubt about it.
Anyway, i also don't like to read 1-sentence-quotes especially when your answer then refer to parts of the quoted post which are well.. not quoted (in this case the word arrogant). What's the purpose to quote something when everybody else better check the thread for the original post to understand the last sentence of your answer?
Last edited by murnau on Fri May 22, 2015 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Lotuzia wrote: Hmmm like I said comparing a niche market with CocaCola wont lead you nowhere imho. My company doesnt distribute 'edm banks', if ever that acronym even means something real, so I really cant tell. What is certain however is that we have several thousands of users, and since a lot of years, only greetings and NOT A SINGLE unsatisfied customer :) And that probably says a lot more that anything else. And yes, you're right, the audio demos are there so that people can hear what they'll buy. Or at least spend an hopefully good moment hearing what can be done with a synth they own. And that's it. :shrug:
It's not as niche as you think. And as long as there's GAS, then rules of addiction apply.
It's nice when you luck on to demos that are clear enough to see how much of the good stuff is cut down by the fluff. But it can go both ways, where the few good ones hide the bad until it's already paid for. Perhaps that is why so many state no refunds and not for resale. But I can tell this is already in a circle of JYO/JMO... so... TETO. :)

Interesting to hear from topicstarter what price can be good for sounbank?
VST & Hardware presets, FL Studio templates, samples and MIDI from NatLife & friends -www.natlifesounds.com

Maybe like 3 patches per dollar.

But when you invest an hour or more per patch, that is very little. Then again, I doubt many people can live on that "job" alone, anyway...

NatLife wrote:Interesting to hear from topicstarter what price can be good for sounbank?
I'm not the TS, but for me, it generally is seen as a percentage of the original plugin and reaches questionable when it hits 50% of that plugin. I perhaps see sampling as bit different than pure patch programming though, and would put it accordingly in the 30%-80% range of the plugin it's made for.
However, I understand that many samples are always going to exceed that and that it is on the buyer to shop and bargain as well as they can for their particular tastes and needs.

BBFG# wrote:
Lotuzia wrote: Hmmm like I said comparing a niche market with CocaCola wont lead you nowhere imho. My company doesnt distribute 'edm banks', if ever that acronym even means something real, so I really cant tell. What is certain however is that we have several thousands of users, and since a lot of years, only greetings and NOT A SINGLE unsatisfied customer :) And that probably says a lot more that anything else. And yes, you're right, the audio demos are there so that people can hear what they'll buy. Or at least spend an hopefully good moment hearing what can be done with a synth they own. And that's it. :shrug:
It's not as niche as you think. ..... :)
Its not as I think, my dear. It's more as I know. And I know a lot about this market, and the upper one, ie the soft synths themselves.

As for the good ones/bad ones etc. Your good might be my bad and vice-versa. I hear a lot of soundbanks demos I have strictly zero interest in, but maybe you would like them. And some I like, that you might dislike. Eheh thank god people have different taste. All I can say is that every preset I make is 100% *usable*, because I continuously play while making them, and I can, and do play in many styles. The next step, ie from usable to usefull to lovable to indispensable for someone only depends .... on one's taste, and desire. Without desire, love, despair, feelings, pain, strength, or power music is ... next to nothing.

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Someone said here about hour per patch) some patches that i made - was made with a days. I used it in tracks, and this tracks was charted pretty well. So for example i cant' sell for free my patches just because i do not doing a shit work) I doing same like i doing for my own production, that rising a charts/ radioshows and etc. Thats why i know how much my work and spend time will coast. For example if guy not a proffesional producer - maybe his work will coast lower, but in same time it's a lower quality presets as u can understand. Not always but mostly it is.
VST & Hardware presets, FL Studio templates, samples and MIDI from NatLife & friends -www.natlifesounds.com

fluffy_little_something wrote:Maybe like 3 patches per dollar.

But when you invest an hour or more per patch, that is very little. Then again, I doubt many people can live on that "job" alone, anyway...
And you're right. I think you won't find more than 25 people worldwide who actually live on that job.( Included those who happily navigate more in the sample sets shiny waters )

I would easily pay one dollar, or more, for an instrument ( a *preset* ) that gives me pleasure to play it, inspires me, and allows me to make a track that I enjoy. I paid much more to see certain movies that completely bored me. But well, that's just me :shrug:

And with this I'll leave this thread, because I dont have much more to say about presets, chips, cars, their price and Coca-Cola politics and marketing.

:phew:

Lotuzia wrote:
BBFG# wrote: Its not as I think, my dear. It's more as I know.
And what you 'know' is merely what you think you know.
And seemingly as much by exclusion to certain realities 'dear'.
It's all still JYO.
And I have mine based on a few decades of sales and marketing
(and even commercial patch design). Still JMO.

Let's just agree to disagree and leave it at that.
I'm not one of your customers anyway.

One dollar per patch seems fine, but the more you put into a set, the less you will be able to charge per patch.
I think I would make 56 patches per set, charging 14.99 :roll:

fluffy_little_something wrote:One dollar per patch seems fine, but the more you put into a set, the less you will be able to charge per patch.
I think I would make 56 patches per set, charging 14.99 :roll:
Yep, because then it would be $40 for 40 presets which is even more then the prices which leads the OP to open this topic. Hope nobody leave here with an imperial price perception in the end.. :hihi:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Return to “Soundware”