Using pattern data as instruments in modplugtracker

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I want to be able to use super mario world instruments the way i want it to sound like.

ModPlug Tracker version 1.16.0203 sounds better than OpenMPT version 1.24.04.00.

I used OpenSPC here.
.SPC -> .IT conversion.

OPENSPC.EXE
326 KB.
OpenSPC ver.301

Exx and Fxx portamento commands sounds different between the old modplugtracker and new modplugtracker software program called OpenMPT.

The tempo is 250 and the speed is 1.
I am using 17castle.IT here.

And playing it in winamp does not sound like modplugtracker nor openmpt.

A single waveform sample with multiple envelopes on pattern channels uses ADSR with these modulations + effects:

1. Tremolos.
2. Fade ins.
3. Fade outs.
4. Pannings.
5. Pitchbends.
6. Vibratos.
7. Glidings.
8. Delays / Echoes.
9. Chorus.

Some pattern data sequence effects requires more than one channel playing at the same time.

2 channels or more are required.

All pattern channels are 100% monophonic.

Check out this thread:
http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=5482.0

Did you export it as a *.wav ? That's the only way to preserve old artifacts. *.it is not always as universal as one would hope it to be. If you're looking for Mario sounds, this guy made a sound set for Massive that sounds spot-on: http://xenossoundworks.com/massivevideogamemania.html There's other freebie NES synths floating around too.

Maybe try a different tracker and player? Why are you using Winamp anyway? For export? ModPlug has its own WAV export.

Winamp has not been known to be accurate for most modules anyway. Which player plugin are you using on it? Some plugin players are better than others (better than the built-in module player).

The most accurate(?) module player software seems to be Delitracker, but it's not going to give you ModPlug-specific features (ModPlug-format). It plays most formats that existed prior to its development end.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jedinhopy wrote:Check out this thread:
http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=5482.0
Assessement : standard Jedinhopy thread pattern maintained

J : "This thing happens wrongly. I want something else to happen"
Reply : "You're expecting something that isnt going to work."
J : "But I want it to happen"
Reply "It wont"
J : "Someone should make it happen for me"
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

arkmabat wrote:Did you export it as a *.wav ? That's the only way to preserve old artifacts. *.it is not always as universal as one would hope it to be. If you're looking for Mario sounds, this guy made a sound set for Massive that sounds spot-on: http://xenossoundworks.com/massivevideogamemania.html There's other freebie NES synths floating around too.
A vst plugin synth which combines the quirks of old modplugtracker with openmpt + winamp and meridian advance.

And which can open the instruemnts in the SPC file like the way the meridian advance plays them.
I don't mean single wave samples. I mean complete instruments and even those that make use of more than one channel playing at the same time.

I will not use the C700 vst plugin because it automatically moves back and forth between 16 channels when in reality i should compose the voices polyphony allocations handling between different channels manually like a standard tracker would do like ModPlugTracker.

pretty sure theirs a soundfont of the super mario world sounds floating around on the internet which would be easier and more accurate than doing various conversions

also I don't really get what you mean by the c700 automatically moves between channels? the channels don't automatically change afaik or anything like that the instruments are just on seperate channels, i'm pretty sure the SNES doesn't have strict polyphony limits like the NES, even so it's not really that hard to adhere to SNES limits if you're using software that lets you do more

the title seems really off from what you seem to want to accomplish? i'm guessing english isn't your native language, pretty sure this is in the wrong section either way
http://drunk3nj3sus.blogspot.com/ < My blog
Free samples, presets, etc.

This sound contains decaying/releasing.
First play note C-5. And then play note C-5 again.
Notice that the first played C-5 note is sent to channel 1.
And then the second played note that play note C-5 is sent to channel 2.
Meaning it's not true.

It should work like this:
Playing note C-5 plays it only in channel 1 and no other channels.
And playing note C-5 again while the previous note is decaying should overwrite channel 1 pattern information.

Playing note D-5 plays it only in channel 2 and no other channels.
And playing note D-5 again while the previous note is decaying should overwrite channel 2 pattern information.

Playing note E-5 plays it only in channel 3 and no other channels.
And playing note E-5 again while the previous note is decaying should overwrite channel 3 pattern information.

16 snes pattern channels = 16 midi channels.
Each midi channel being 100% monophonic with no ADSR bleeding between notes.
Midi channel 1 maps to snes channel 1.
Midi channel 2 maps to snes channel 2.
Midi channel 3 maps to snes channel 3.

Playing the same note again resets it.
I don't want to hear the phasing comb filtering sound that happens when the C-5 note is pressed repeatedly.

Jedinhopy wrote:

It should work like this:
Playing note C-5 plays it only in channel 1 and no other channels.
And playing note C-5 again while the previous note is decaying should overwrite channel 1 pattern information.

Playing note D-5 plays it only in channel 2 and no other channels.
And playing note D-5 again while the previous note is decaying should overwrite channel 2 pattern information.

Playing note E-5 plays it only in channel 3 and no other channels.
And playing note E-5 again while the previous note is decaying should overwrite channel 3 pattern information.
The impulse tracker IT format was developed just to NOT have this note-channel locked behaviour IIRC. I think it was called NNA (new note action)

If you want the traditional note-channel locking you are better off using the sister format XM instead. So in modplug compose the song in FT2 XM format mode instead.

SPC to module exporters tend to be screwy and will often export garbage. In particular, in the song you have there, some there's a part that has the wrong pitch slides and is off pitch (0:42 - 0:51). It's not MPT's fault - it's the IT file that was exported wrong and does the wrong thing. (and it will also play off pitch if you reexport it back to SPC using it2spc)

Exx and Fxx do not work if the speed is 1 (except for EFx/FFx/EEx/FEx). The reason for this is that they are not applied on the first tick of the row.
Jedinhopy wrote: And playing it in winamp does not sound like modplugtracker nor openmpt.
Winamp does ALL tracker slides wrong (Dxx, Exx, Fxx, Gxx, Kxx, Lxx, Nxx, Pxx, T0x, T1x, Wxx) - it applies slides on the first tick. Playing any song in winamp will generate the wrong result (unless it has no slides). You should use XMPlay as a mod player reference, not Winamp. Winamp is wrong.

IT2SPC should play your song like OpenMPT version 1.24.04.00 provided that you follow the SNES limits (8 channels, no NNA, no filters, no pingpong loops, fits in memory limit).

Snes gss?

Return to “Instruments”