Which hosts and subhosts fully support VST3 now?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bidule now has full support for VST3 and AU plugin presets - subfolders and everything. So now it's possible to add support for these formats to hosts like Bitwig too (I even made a Bitwig skin for Bidule)

aMUSEd wrote:
bachmaninoff wrote:I've been on the fence about upgrading Sonar to X3, but according to Cakewalk:
X3 has a fairly deep VST3 implementation. All prior operations common to VST2 are supported of course, as well as a bunch of VST3 specific ones. Some highlights are:

...VST preset support. You can save and load VST3 presets in the .vstpreset format.
http://blog.cakewalk.com/developer-note ... ancements/
That's cool - I was wondering about Sonar as it's PC only so I've not been able to try it.
"Fairly deep VST3 implementation" is not the same as "complete VST3 implementation".

I can tell you from experience that while I really like X3, it's had problems with Waves and Arturia VST3 plug-ins (instruments or effects). I've been told by tech support at both Waves and Arturia that Sonar has trouble with their VST3 synths, and the don't recommend them, unless there's some specific VST3 functionality you need.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

VST3 is like Blu Ray.

FL supports loading .vstpreset files.

Cool I will add that, does this include recognising when they are organised into subfolders? (because if it doesn't you end up with a pretty useless long list for synths that have lots of presets like Padshop - that was a problem with Bidule but no longer)

planetearth wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
bachmaninoff wrote:I've been on the fence about upgrading Sonar to X3, but according to Cakewalk:
X3 has a fairly deep VST3 implementation. All prior operations common to VST2 are supported of course, as well as a bunch of VST3 specific ones. Some highlights are:

...VST preset support. You can save and load VST3 presets in the .vstpreset format.
That's cool - I was wondering about Sonar as it's PC only so I've not been able to try it.
"Fairly deep VST3 implementation" is not the same as "complete VST3 implementation".

I can tell you from experience that while I really like X3, it's had problems with Waves and Arturia VST3 plug-ins (instruments or effects). I've been told by tech support at both Waves and Arturia that Sonar has trouble with their VST3 synths, and the don't recommend them, unless there's some specific VST3 functionality you need.

Steve
Specifically how good is support for loading and saving vstpresets? If the plugin has lots of presets organised into subfolders does it show the subfolders too or just ignore them and present you with a long list?

aMUSEd wrote:Cool I will add that, does this include recognising when they are organised into subfolders? (because if it doesn't you end up with a pretty useless long list for synths that have lots of presets like Padshop - that was a problem with Bidule but no longer)
I'd have to check the details, but I think it should also find them there. At the very least you can load them from an open file dialog, though.

aMUSEd wrote:
planetearth wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:

Steve
Specifically how good is support for loading and saving vstpresets? If the plugin has lots of presets organised into subfolders does it show the subfolders too or just ignore them and present you with a long list?
VST presets for instruments or for effects? And are you talking about loading presets from the synth or from the VST pull-down menu? Let me know, and I'll check for you.

In general, Sonar has no problems loading VST preset banks or individual presets. I've had a couple of issues with some instruments, but I think it was more an issue of how the developer created the bank (or it may have just been the instrument).

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”