Envelope editor VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does such a plugin that lets the user draw envelope for the WHOLE track exist? Envelopes in Reaper are pain to deal with.

Found two plugins that does not do - VolumeShaper which allows automating only small part (beat-synced) and Sculpto - it seems better, but it's clipper and sort of semi-manual compressor and not simple volume envelope.

What are you trying to accomplish exactly?
To me, drawing envelopes in Reaper is easy and precise and gives me full control over the volume of a track.

If you're really having trouble drawing envelopes in Reaper I'd recommend looking at a cheap graphic tablet, makes it much easier. There's one around which is really a touchpad with a stylus (no pressure sensitivity etc) for less than £20, Wacom I think.

See, I'm not into drawing by hand and more into parametric curves.
Reaper envelopes are slow to dial perfectly, has awkward behavior when deleting points, no visual feedback on waveform graph and no rms graph.

Something like Stillwell Sculpto, but with simple volume envelope without clipping and compression would be ideal. Grab the unlimited demo and see what I mean. Dedicated audio editor with such a tool would be fine as well.

Right now I'm trying to fix really jumpy vocals without smashing it into oblivion and had an idea that such plugin or program should exist so I don't have to invent it.

I guess the problem with such a plugin would be that any timebased changes in the arrangement after you set up the plugin, would offset all envelopes to the wrong position.
Alternatively you could, for this usecase (the vocals), export the audiofile to an audio editor that has envelopes that you like working with, and then import it again once your done.

MAutovolume (Melda Production) may adress your problem.

"MAutoVolume is a solution to a common problem - stabilizing loudness of a front instrument, such as a vocal, a bass or a saxophone. Despite you can use a compressor for this, setting it up may be very time consuming and the results questionable. You can also manually automate the volume fader, which is the method most enigneers used so far, and it is not exactly ideal as well. MAutoVolume solves this problem quickly, easily and with astonishing results.

In most cases all you need to do is to put MAutoVolume as insert onto the particular track, preferrably as the last item in the chain. Then you can use Output gain to adjust the desired output level, or you can use the mixer fader in your host, the functionality would be the same.
(from the manual)

Thanks, but this is not what I'm searching for. Need some manual gain riding in a fast and precise way with visual waveform peak and RMS feedback and not another automatic dynamic processor.

By the way already solved my problem with Reaper envelopes and extra work. The question remains open, though.

If such plugins aren't common, another question:
which audio editors has the best envelope tool in your opinion?

Any host should allow drawing in any envelope shape freehand. I don't see how it could be more straightforward. With a plugin the schwa/ Stilwell thing is the only one I'm aware of. It should be used after initial editing of the source audio though because the plugin has no way of seeing changed events in the host. I've found simply clopping the performance into syllables in my host gives me the most control and doesn't cause any of the problems of plugin solutions.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

By far the best and the most usable I've found is in ancient Sound Forge. Different curve shapes (but no steepness control), can be saved and loaded, nice behavior. Generates no artifacts and aliasing on most settings, unlike many. Lacks instant feedback on waveform, but one can apply it and roll back instantly.

BTW it has FP (single and double precision) and integer engine, which means cutting 24/16/8 bit files is lossless. Haven't seen this before.

Understand now why Sony is THE name in DSP software, despite it being old and almost not updated.

Wonder if some obscure editor has better ones. My PC is already trashed by demos.

Return to “Effects”