complexity in psytrance

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Psytrance is a broad genre and many different arrangements fit in its style. I still feel it's somehow unexplored.

Personally I prefer progressive or full-on psytrance. Sometimes it's just too unstable in style and sound to be enjoyable. Effects can be great addition to progressive flow, but when they are the main point of focus, it all becomes messy.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

dekadenz wrote: Despite being completely saccharine, there is something very 90's about full on subgenre. It's the music for dancing on something, not for watching DJ with a bottle of beer.
Exactly, it is mainly music for dancing and for me it continues where 80s&90s left off, catchy synth lines, groovy bass lines, strong themes, memorable stuff, opposed to more psychedelic and obscure sub genres, which are perfect fit for more serious drug users and trippers, vision quest's and deep space explorations :lol:

DJ Warmonger wrote:Psytrance is a broad genre and many different arrangements fit in its style. I still feel it's somehow unexplored.

Personally I prefer progressive or full-on psytrance. Sometimes it's just too unstable in style and sound to be enjoyable. Effects can be great addition to progressive flow, but when they are the main point of focus, it all becomes messy.
Me too, I fall in love with goa, but goa kinda died around me and full on was everywhere and on such an larger extent, it became a thing and so much people started attending parties and majority of parties were full on, I went with the flow, everyone around me did, well, now it's progressive psytrance era and sincerely I like it way more than newer full on. :phones:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

It's interesting you're compared it to power metal. Always thought they were pretty much alike and even had exactly the same problems.

Colorful and glossy cover arts, very fast tempos, cheesy keyboards and melodies. Good performers average, but extremely plagued by so-so derivative material. Many different bands sounds exactly like one over and over.

Was it said about power metal or full-on psytrance?

dekadenz wrote:It's interesting you're compared it to power metal. Always thought they were pretty much alike and even had exactly the same problems.

Colorful and glossy cover arts, very fast tempos, cheesy keyboards and melodies. Good performers average, but extremely plagued by so-so derivative material. Many different bands sounds exactly like one over and over.

Was it said about power metal or full-on psytrance?
Spot on, that's about it, than most of that darkpsy stuff is just typical black or nu HC, barely something can fall into death :lol:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Switching to copycat and followers topic, I've compared the mastering on Psymon - Activated against Bizzare Contact - Run Away (the track it was supposingly copied from) for fun.

Bizzare Contact track is pushed only as hard as possible without compromising danceability and not more - beats are kissing the brickwall, but not smashed. Other elements in the mix are arranged for getting out of the beat's way and overall lower. It has much lower level that non-dance stuff and despite limiting still has formidable crest factor.

On the other hand, Psymon track is truly squashed to the last dB, as hard as possible without obvious distortion (and beyond).

Above is not the last reason why one was dancefloor hit and other got a few listens on youtube. "Not more" is what separates the work of the master from dilettant mockery (it's safe to assume it was mastered by some hack).

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”