Soft Synths Whose Presets Don't Do Them Justice

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's about branding. A pretty face that is recognizable. (preferably one that will get naked).

Is it also allowed to also mention factory sound demos which don't do soft synths justice? Then i'd name the Tone2 synths. Seriously hardly ever listened to such cheesy, useless sound demos. Sounds to me as if the guy who did those doesn't at all like the genre those sound demos should present, and never was shy to add something comedic to them.

wagtunes wrote:
Kriminal wrote:I wouldnt say we are spoiled, its def made things easier (performance wise...no more 2 minute silences between songs while re patching :lol: )

Mostly its changes for the better. Some ppl are just lazy...
I don't have a problem with being able to store your patches. What I have a problem with is the instant gratification mentality of "give me a synth with 10 million patches that I can summon at the touch of a button so I don't have to do any thinking."

The other day I was working on a track and needed a riser. I could have gone into one of my gazillion synths and found one. Instead, I pulled up Zebra 2 and started a patch from init. Then added some PW and MW automation to it and I had my custom riser that nobody else has. And it sounded better than everything I could have "settled" for had I just pulled up a preset.

And the irony of all this is that the synth makers feed into the preset mentality by supplying hundreds of them and most of them are nothing but crap. It boggles my mind how so many great sounding synths, Zebra 2 included, come with the worst presets that don't even begin to do the synth justice. It's like the synth maker itself was too lazy to create something useful.
Seriously, what is wrong with the Zebra presets?

firepile wrote:Seriously, what is wrong with the Zebra presets?
I must admit, although I don't really like the sound of Zebra, I was impressed by the fact that most of the presets seemed to be highly usable within a track (I've downloaded the demo a few times) - they weren't super stacked effect laden monstrosities.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Numanoid wrote:Twist by Sonivox

Presets sux, the synths is capable of more
i cant agree with you more

i got it with a midi keyboard and was thinking well that is why they give it away lol

it is nice though
Faggotmaster

Zebra's presets are some of the best. I think people expect synths to ship with trance and acid presets and if it doesn't its got bad presets. Most of Zebra's presets are done by Howard Scarr, he's the man Hans Zimmer calls in to do presets for large budget movies.

Anyway if a synth doesn't have the presets you want buy a preset pack.
Last edited by Jax Pok on Sat May 23, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

wagtunes wrote:

I don't have a problem with being able to store your patches. What I have a problem with is the instant gratification mentality of "give me a synth with 10 million patches that I can summon at the touch of a button so I don't have to do any thinking."

The other day I was working on a track and needed a riser. I could have gone into one of my gazillion synths and found one. Instead, I pulled up Zebra 2 and started a patch from init. Then added some PW and MW automation to it and I had my custom riser that nobody else has. And it sounded better than everything I could have "settled" for had I just pulled up a preset.

And the irony of all this is that the synth makers feed into the preset mentality by supplying hundreds of them and most of them are nothing but crap. It boggles my mind how so many great sounding synths, Zebra 2 included, come with the worst presets that don't even begin to do the synth justice. It's like the synth maker itself was too lazy to create something useful.

If you don't find that hilariously ironic, I don't know what to tell you.
What I find "hilariously ironic" is you wouldn't use a Preset but you sell them and expect others to buy and use yours. Patch snobbery at it's finest.......... :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

No no.. ..they are all sh*t.. ..and especially the stuff Howard Scarr delivered. :lol:

dftt.. :wink:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

i wish synths came with instruction on the synthesis type it is more so than good presets honestly

a little something to lead you in the right way instead of thousands of preset
Faggotmaster

Teksonik wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

If you don't find that hilariously ironic, I don't know what to tell you.
What I find "hilariously ironic" is you wouldn't use a Preset but you sell them and expect others to buy and use yours. Patch snobbery at it's finest.......... :tu:
I'm a businessman. I cater to a demand. That's number one. Number two, why would somebody who creates his own sounds use presets. Isn't that like saying "I create sounds that are such crap that even I wouldn't use them?"

I've made all my own sounds with every synth I've ever owned since 1979. I've never needed presets. But as a smart businessman, I understand that there are those who won't even consider a synth unless it has presets.

Those are the people I cater to.

It has nothing to do with snobery. It has to do with business and my way of doing things for over 36 years.

Korg mono/poly. Compared to what it can do I think just about everything out there is terrible. But the market is small so probably not worth anyone's time to work on it.

Likewise Fabfilter's Timeless II - the presets are extreme and unusable.

wagtunes wrote: I'm a businessman. I cater to a demand. That's number one. Number two, why would somebody who creates his own sounds use presets. Isn't that like saying "I create sounds that are such crap that even I wouldn't use them?"

I've made all my own sounds with every synth I've ever owned since 1979. I've never needed presets. But as a smart businessman, I understand that there are those who won't even consider a synth unless it has presets.

It has nothing to do with snobery. It has to do with business and my way of doing things for over 36 years.
Wow if you don't see how arrogant that sounds I don't know what to say.
wagtunes wrote:Number two, why would somebody who creates his own sounds use presets.
Because they realize that other sound designers might be more talented that they are ? Zebra 2 and Howard Scarr are perfect examples:

"Scarr has been tapped by Hans Zimmer to provide custom sounds for his scores for the films The Dark Knight, Transformers, Angels and Demons and Inception".

What movies have your sounds been in ? Yea I didn't think so.

I just find it so ironic that people who create patches for others won't use other people's patches. Patch snobbery at it's finest. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:
wagtunes wrote: I'm a businessman. I cater to a demand. That's number one. Number two, why would somebody who creates his own sounds use presets. Isn't that like saying "I create sounds that are such crap that even I wouldn't use them?"

Wow if you don't see how arrogant that sounds I don't know what to say.
wagtunes wrote:Number two, why would somebody who creates his own sounds use presets.
Because they realize that other sound designers might be more talented that they are ? Zebra 2 and Howard Scarr are perfect examples:

"Scarr has been tapped by Hans Zimmer to provide custom sounds for his scores for the films The Dark Knight, Transformers, Angels and Demons and Inception".

What movies have your sounds been in ? Yea I didn't think so.

I just find it so ironic that people who create patches for others won't use other people's patches. Patch snobbery at it's finest. :tu:
Well, you can call it anything you like, but if I create my own patches, why would I spend money to buy what I could create on my own?

As far as what sounds I've created that have been in movies, what does that have to do with anything? I'm not looking to make patches for movies. I make patches for regular people who may or may not want to purchase what I make.

Anyway, you will think of me whatever you want to think of me and quite honestly, I couldn't care less. Your opinion of me isn't going to change how I feel about this subject. At least I am honest about my motivations and my reasons.

So if that makes me a snob in your eyes, whatever.

In the grand scheme of things, your opinion of me is about as important to me as what Obama had for lunch today.

wagtunes wrote: but if I create my own patches, why would I spend money to buy what I could create on my own?
Because you're not the best sound designer on the planet. Others can and will create better patches than you can or will........
wagtunes wrote:As far as what sounds I've created that have been in movies, what does that have to do with anything?
It has to do with you talking smack about Zebra's factory patches many of which were created by Howard Scarr. You've disrespected someone who obviously has more talent than you do.

So to summarize...........Anyone who says "Oooooh I never use patches created by someone else" is simply missing the opportunity to gain musical inspiration. That's just silly to let ego deprive you of such a resource. This nonsense that we have to do everything alone now or it's cheating is ridiculous. Hasn't anyone ever been in a band and shared musical ideas ? No different......

I've sold patches and I've bought patches because I know that other people have other ideas. Ideas that I can use for musical inspiration. I'll use another person's patch in a heartbeat if I find it musically inspiring even if I've created hundreds of patches for that same synth.......... :tu:

Return to “Instruments”