Piano plugins?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Blue Grand Imperial Grand

http://vis.versilstudios.net/upright-1.html
Free and (IMHO) Underrated... ;-)

Ingonator wrote: Arturia Wurlitzer V (included with V-Collection 4) seems to be purely modelled too.
Wurlitzer V sounds good, but the ultimate was Mokafix BlueReeds. Would love a 64bit native version.

For PM Acoustic pianos, Pianoteq is the #1 game in town.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

I really like Session Keys Y from e-instruments. Amazing sound + sound sculpting possibilities.
You are currently reading my signature.

Soniccouture's wurly and Rhodes are fantastic. Not modeled, but one of the best sample libs out there that really capture the characteristic of the Rhodes and Wurly IMO.

What's more difficult to model, a Rhodes or an acoustic piano?

I don't know much about pianos, but to my ears the sound spectrum of a Rhodes (depending on how it is played) seems broader and thus more complex to model.

heres a quick demo i made.....
https://app.box.com/s/h7l41xvjo6roltwzweitpx9cg946jyab

using samples of an upright piano in this thread:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=351332

i took only the 6 C notes and downsampled to 16bit yeilding a 10mb EnergyXT2 sampler
instrument. :borg:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Does no one like 4Front Truepianos anymore?
[Insert Signature Here]

Sound Magic Neo Piano sounds nice and realistic to my ears http://www.supremepiano.com/product/neopiano.html

fluffy_little_something wrote:What's more difficult to model, a Rhodes or an acoustic piano?

I don't know much about pianos, but to my ears the sound spectrum of a Rhodes (depending on how it is played) seems broader and thus more complex to model.
I believe that the acoustic piano is much harder to emulate because so many factors to consider. For example the harder you hit the key the more resonance (I hope it's the right word!) from other neighbour strings heard.

I don't have suggestions really because it's very subjective. Just buy the one that you like the sound of it. For me I like a lot my Casio Previa's Grand Piano more than any library I heard or even more than Pianoteq (although they are perfect together because both support high resolution Midi). There are nice electric piano presets in my Casio and together with Velvet I feel I'm almost covered but I might buy/upgrade to the full Lounge Lizard.

Well, hope you can find what you like.

4Front Truepianos is awesome. Especially the Atlantis module. I just love it!
I have my meals in a royal palace accompanied by the Royal String Quartet.

I like True Piano a lot. Also the Hammersmith from Sonic Couture is excellent.

dredd i knight wrote:I like True Piano a lot. Also the Hammersmith from Sonic Couture is excellent.
It may be excellent but it's pretty large! Of course, there are much larger libs out there, in terms of size.
I have my meals in a royal palace accompanied by the Royal String Quartet.

EnGee wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:What's more difficult to model, a Rhodes or an acoustic piano?

I believe that the acoustic piano is much harder to emulate because so many factors to consider. For example the harder you hit the key the more resonance (I hope it's the right word!) from other neighbour strings heard.

I don't have suggestions really because it's very subjective. Just buy the one that you like the sound of it. For me I like a lot my Casio Previa's Grand Piano more than any library I heard or even more than Pianoteq (although they are perfect together because both support high resolution Midi). There are nice electric piano presets in my Casio and together with Velvet I feel I'm almost covered but I might buy/upgrade to the full Lounge Lizard.

Rhodes is close to a bell and tine wave. These are easily synthesized without modelling or samples. Every synth out there has, IMHO, a very convincing xylophone patch--so, not hard to do to get there. And, from there, it's really a short step to a Rhodes. But I'm not a sound designer so I'm (most likely and if history is any guide) wrong.

Again, IMHO, the original (and free, and, sadly, x32 only) Mr. Ray had the best modelled Wurly, with some great, effected preset emulations. Ridiculously small footprint, and no samples.
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

BERFAB wrote:
EnGee wrote:

Rhodes is close to a bell and tine wave. These are easily synthesized without modelling or samples. Every synth out there has, IMHO, a very convincing xylophone patch--so, not hard to do to get there. And, from there, it's really a short step to a Rhodes. But I'm not a sound designer so I'm (most likely and if history is any guide) wrong.

Again, IMHO, the original (and free, and, sadly, x32 only) Mr. Ray had the best modelled Wurly, with some great, effected preset emulations. Ridiculously small footprint, and no samples.
Rhodes has a lot more dynamics than an acoustic piano, as does a Wurlitzer. You can get more or less bell from a Rhodes based on how it's voiced. Getting a xylophone sound is no where near getting a Rhodes, and I've yet to hear a synthesized or modeled Rhodes really come close. Watching some of the comparison videos between the best plugs and a real Rhodes and while the sounds at times may be fairly similar, the overall context of a piece of music played on an actual Rhodes is much more alive than anything else at this point. (and I own a Rhodes and Wurlie 200a)

Arcane Master wrote:4Front Truepianos is awesome. Especially the Atlantis module. I just love it!
+1

Return to “Instruments”