Studio One 3 Announced!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

donato wrote:Ordered and immediately received from JRR my upgrade from Prod. 2 to Prof. 3. I can't register the dang thing though. Keep getting the invalid username/password message. No idea what I'm doing wrong. I read the help, opened a ticket, tried typing it in manually instead of copy and pasting...It shows up in my account, but when activating...no dice. :scared:

EDIT: ok. So, it's registered, but I can't activate it. Support already replied and said it's registered and now I just have to activate it...but THAT'S the problem. Is it that I need to wait for an activation code from JRRShop? I mean, they already sent me a registration key...
Try this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxTCfaZVQaE
Why won't you delete this account as I have requested Ben ?

EvilDragon wrote:
ULAS wrote:Is there any difference between Studio One's "arranger track" and Reaper's "regions" ?
Not really, from what I can see.
Right. The feature is not new. Cubase had it years ago, dragging an entire section, if's just more manual there.

The arranger track and the scratchpad kinda go together in v3.

LawrenceF wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
ULAS wrote:Is there any difference between Studio One's "arranger track" and Reaper's "regions" ?
Right. The feature is not new. Cubase had it years ago, dragging an entire section, if's just more manual there.

I don't know why they did not work with the thumbnail placeholders instead of messing about in the timeline.

Just drag a region where you want it in the thumbnail list - Ctrl drag to make another copy - what you are not sure if to use anymore, just put it last until you know, and make repeat marker stop before that spot.

To me scratchpad seemed obsolete of how I used Arranger tracks in Cubase.
Would be so much easier working with those small bricks instead.
Presonus sometimes complicate things.

In Reaper you got Regions - but the list in region manager could not make regions move physically - and not other thumbnail list, or scratchpad.

I think the demo of S1v3 really could have worked in the thumbnail list doing what they did.

Or is that not implemented to move things around there - like in Cubase?

All they did was dragging from scratchpad which seemed cumbersome to me - a longer track where you see it all in timeline becomes really small and hard to drag-n-drop, as I see it.

Yo have this nice little list of bricks - just move them around instead. No need to see a full project of tracks and drag around.

lfm wrote:
LawrenceF wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:

I don't know why they did not work with the thumbnail placeholders instead of messing about in the timeline.

Just drag a region where you want it in the thumbnail list - Ctrl drag to make another copy - what you are not sure if to use anymore, just put it last until you know, and make repeat marker stop before that spot.

To me scratchpad seemed obsolete of how I used Arranger tracks in Cubase.
Would be so much easier working with those small bricks instead.
Presonus sometimes complicate things.

In Reaper you got Regions - but the list in region manager could not make regions move physically - and not other thumbnail list, or scratchpad.

I think the demo of S1v3 really could have worked in the thumbnail list doing what they did.

Or is that not implemented to move things around there - like in Cubase?

All they did was dragging from scratchpad which seemed cumbersome to me - a longer track where you see it all in timeline becomes really small and hard to drag-n-drop, as I see it.

Yo have this nice little list of bricks - just move them around instead. No need to see a full project of tracks and drag around.
You should check out how it's done in DP with chunks/sequences and the song window. IMO it's even nicer still than Cubase's method. It also implicitly gives you a 'scratch pad' and they can have access to globally available instruments/effects and their own mixer as well. Songs consist of sequences, and Songs themselves can be put into songs.

The sequences can also be triggered via midi as well.

Video series here explains it pretty well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAPbm2k ... freload=10

The S1v3 version is cool, but Cubase and DP are definitely WAY ahead. I hope Presonus continues to work on this till they are up to par with their competitors.

edit: I really just want to link to the video, not embed it. Bleh.
http://admiralbumblebee.com/
Audio Software Reviews, Woodworking, Programming and more...

Scottex wrote:i don't know if some of you noticed but S1 v3 will skip some seconds (with some vsti) when transforming Multi-later instrument into audio
Works fine here.

firepile wrote:
Scottex wrote:i don't know if some of you noticed but S1 v3 will skip some seconds (with some vsti) when transforming Multi-later instrument into audio
Works fine here.
Works ok with most of the vsti, however it's buggy with Kontakt and Ezkeys.

Skorpius wrote:Except that the update is mainly focussed on EDM/DJ users and their needs and wishes.
Which is a bit hard to believe, considering how Presonus did some heavy drum up business regarding their new hardware and hardware integration into S1.

Then again - I don't have a comparison. I only used S1 v2 once... and that was for one day pre 2.5 days.

Skorpius wrote:- Updates to the Midi editor functionality (still no random values possible)
You mean as in a "randomize" module?

Skorpius wrote:I don't need something like Note FX or a bitcrusher, but I certainly miss other features that are available in various other DAWs.
I agree on that behalf... host developers should indeed put more focus on functionality rather than added content. It's not like we're at the turn of the century anymore where VST/VSTi popped up the first time. We're basically drowning in excellent free/low budget tools.

Sometimes I wish these companies would have more focus on the basics.

LawrenceF wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:

Well, but Cubase's "Arranger Track" is IMO not as intuitive. Can you really "drag&drop" as shown in the S1 videos? At least on my end I couldn't, neither did it was S1 can do now - and I used this feature recently with a demo track I created for Musiclab RealEight. Might need to check it in a bit just to be sure.

But else, like you earlier said: "Presonus copies, and improves on it". Prime example: the new "Macro Controls" (overhauled concept of "Quick Controls" from Cubase).

The "Scratch Pad" also looks like a revived concept from Cubase VST5 days. Any old Cubase user (that is now on S1) remember the "Project" and the "Arranger" files? Back in the days you could load several at a time, drag your MIDI content around. No need to activating a specific project - which was fun if you didn't pay attention. SX and the "C4+" range then asked you to "activate the project" that is in focus, which can take minutes if you have heavy plugin usage.

This concept looks definitely streamlined. And is IMO great if you want to create an Album Mix, Radio Mix and also a Remix side-by-side. All in one project.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Robert Randolph wrote: The S1v3 version is cool, but Cubase and DP are definitely WAY ahead. I hope Presonus continues to work on this till they are up to par with their competitors.

edit: I really just want to link to the video, not embed it. Bleh.
Thanks, really good. No harm done, I think browsers recognize url and embed, or KVR.

Chunks are the one reason I bothered to trial DP8 twice - really cool.
And then VRacks on top of that.
Will check DP9 when it arrives - and handles pluginscans properly(windows).
Also heard that notation is really good in DP - the final step I try to solve with as little work as possible.

You should check out how it's done in DP with chunks/sequences and the song window
There is no doubt about it Digital performer chunks are a very powerful feature and have been around for ages. Although once you've compiled the chunks into a new song/sequence I noticed that when playing back this chunks sequence your kind of working blind because there is no playhead to indicate which chunk is playing. Someone else also mentioned it in the comments for the part 5 video which shows how to use them. You'll notice when he's playing them back he's having to manually highlight them because there is no playhead showing where you are.

https://youtu.be/AFZX56GMseo?t=199
Asus Z97-A| i7 4770K|32GB DDR3|Samsung 850 Pro 512 SSD System|Crucial 960gb SSD A/V|Crucial 960 SSD Samples|GTX 960 2GB|RME Raydat|Windows 10 x64, Philips 40" 4K
My Samplitude/Sequoia Tutorials are here :
http://www.youtube.com/kraznet

SeeingInMidi wrote:
Omkar wrote:Let me ask this here as well:

I could need some feedback on this issue as I don`t know if it is a bug or related to my gfx drivers:

having the mixer console on a second monitor,
the entire mixer dissapears when zooming around within arranger, can anyone confirm this ?

I also noticed anything else on the second monitor like S1 analysis tools
do react notably when working in arranger, some kind of correspondending flickering when doing something.
I dont have this problem. The only problem i have with the mixer on a second monitor is that the faders/meters wont remain how i stretched them after adding new channels. This doesnt happen when the mixer isnt detached.
I have this issue too. If I stretch the faders and then save, I can add a channel and have the faders stay the same height. However, they all get reset when I close and reopen the project.

I'm on OS X Yosemite, not sure if that contributes.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Kraznet wrote:
You should check out how it's done in DP with chunks/sequences and the song window
There is no doubt about it Digital performer chunks are a very powerful feature and have been around for ages. Although once you've compiled the chunks into a new song/sequence I noticed that when playing back this chunks sequence your kind of working blind because there is no playhead to indicate which chunk is playing. Someone else also mentioned it in the comments for the part 5 video which shows how to use them. You'll notice when he's playing them back he's having to manually highlight them because there is no playhead showing where you are.

https://youtu.be/AFZX56GMseo?t=199
Yes, this is true. I've heard that this may be addressed in DP9, but it's hearsay at this point.
http://admiralbumblebee.com/
Audio Software Reviews, Woodworking, Programming and more...

billcarroll wrote:
SeeingInMidi wrote:

I could need some feedback on this issue as I don`t know if it is a bug or related to my gfx drivers:

the entire mixer dissapears when zooming around within arranger, can anyone confirm this ?

do react notably when working in arranger, some kind of correspondending flickering when doing something.
I dont have this problem. The only problem i have with the mixer on a second monitor is that the faders/meters wont remain how i stretched them after adding new channels. This doesnt happen when the mixer isnt detached.
I have this issue too. If I stretch the faders and then save, I can add a channel and have the faders stay the same height. However, they all get reset when I close and reopen the project.

It only happens if you add a channel to the end of the mixer (right side, mixer also has to be detached). I can also confirm your problem that stretched faders don't save with projects and templates.

Compyfox wrote:Well, but Cubase's "Arranger Track" is IMO not as intuitive. Can you really "drag&drop" as shown in the S1 videos? At least on my end I couldn't,
I'm long removed from Cubase 5.5 but IIRC, you can mod drag cycle markers and take all of the media with it. I don't recall if it rippled and all that. I suppose i could launch Nuendo 5 and give it a go.

For people unfamiliar with Cubendo (not Compy), it has song markers, cycle markers (kinda like Reapers region markers or vice versa) and Play Order Blocks. Those are (or at least were) 3 different things. I'm fairly certain you can drag entire arrangement sections around with cycle markers.

And yes, when Reaper got Region Markers it was the "best thing ever" (according to some of their more rabid users, not the sensible guys like ED) and if memory serves me correctly, it was about 7-10 years old already in Cubase, so their "meh's" at the S1 arranger blocks is just a continuation of that perpetual cycle. :)

SeeingInMidi wrote:
billcarroll wrote:
SeeingInMidi wrote:

It only happens if you add a channel to the end of the mixer (right side, mixer also has to be detached). I can also confirm your problem that stretched faders don't save with projects and templates.
I apollo, did a little *edit* note above saying I forgot to strech the fader channel section,
it is a reported and recognized bug already.

I`m missing a dedicated bug thread at Presonus forum btw, all posts on this are cluttered everywhere
and it is almost impossible to compare found bugs with reported ones.
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

Here ya go, moving entire songs sections around in Cubendo with cycle markers. It doesn't ripple though... (or rather, it didn't 5-6-7 years ago in these older versions, no clue about now) but otherwise, it's essentially doing the same thing S1 is doing, using a range selection to capture everything beneath the marker range and moving it.

But yeah, as cherry picking in the daw wars goes, it has some nice stuff for people who just like to cherry pick features in their fave host on the net. Shuffle snap is pretty nice. Cubase has a relative ton of small things that don't show up in other places so going down that road with an experienced Cubase user is often not a winning proposition (unless you have on blinders)...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”