Studio One 3 Announced!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

^You can basically do that in any daw with a time selection feature anyway I would guess, even without special region ui stuff, since as you said it's just making a selection. In Bitwig for example you would just use the time selection tool and drag over that time in the timeline to select that time in all tracks, and then just drag and drop. Maybe not ideal for certain workflows but considering how much you would usually be moving whole chunks of songs around while you build one it seems fine.

I also don't see the sketchpad thing being a big deal, it's almost the same thing as moving stuff to another part of the arranger window. But I guess it's easier.

Ogopogo wrote:^You can basically do that in any daw with a time selection feature anyway I would guess, even without special region ui stuff, since as you said it's just making a selection. In Bitwig for example you would just use the time selection tool and drag over that time in the timeline to select that time in all tracks, and then just drag and drop. Maybe not ideal for certain workflows but considering how much you would usually be moving whole chunks of songs around while you build one it seems fine.

I also don't see the sketchpad thing being a big deal, it's almost the same thing as moving stuff to another part of the arranger window. But I guess it's easier.
Well, time selection is singular (one vertical range at a time) and range selection sometimes isn't, which is a bit of a difference. When people who care about that stuff for argumentative reasons ("My daw is better than yours!") compare or equate things, they rarely make truly objective and full comparisons. They usually only focus on the areas where they "win", and ignore most anything else.

I mean, can you grab two (or 5) non-contiguous vertical song sections in Bitwig and drag or copy them (only them) off somewhere else? No idea.

It's all rather stupid, imo.

LawrenceF wrote: But yeah, as cherry picking in the daw wars goes, it has some nice stuff for people who just like to cherry pick features in their fave host on the net. Shuffle snap is pretty nice. Cubase has a relative ton of small things that don't show up in other places so going down that road with an experienced Cubase user is often not a winning proposition (unless you have on blinders)...
Well, aren't we upset now....we know how much you adore S1...and we really want to adore it too....so we had to ask....

Pretty sure it is there - just puzzled it wasn't demoed that way in that case?
But I only saw the first launch broadcast....if they forgot, maybe.

All this dragging in timeline when you can just fiddle the the placeholders instead - that is where the real beauty and timesaver is - not scratchpad - in my view with blinders, of course...

RockinMillie wrote:
donato wrote:Ordered and immediately received from JRR my upgrade from Prod. 2 to Prof. 3. I can't register the dang thing though. Keep getting the invalid username/password message. No idea what I'm doing wrong. I read the help, opened a ticket, tried typing it in manually instead of copy and pasting...It shows up in my account, but when activating...no dice. :scared:

EDIT: ok. So, it's registered, but I can't activate it. Support already replied and said it's registered and now I just have to activate it...but THAT'S the problem. Is it that I need to wait for an activation code from JRRShop? I mean, they already sent me a registration key...
Try this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxTCfaZVQaE
Thanks, but I'm on a Mac.

LawrenceF wrote:Here ya go, moving entire songs sections around in Cubendo with cycle markers. It doesn't ripple though...
Being cherry picky, I'd say that S1 improved on that. As the "moving" is actually done there with the "Arranger Events", not Cycle Markers, no?

I must admit... I hated using Markers (though they're easier to setup than Arranger Events - at least for me). Which could clear why I never really dug deep into the topic. I mostly only set "start markers", no "cycle markers".

But yes - "Ripple" editing ("Shuffle Editing" for PT users) would be cool to have in Cubase by now. Unless I overread that with C8 (demo!), and I over-read it in C7. Because the "Grid Modes" aren't really the same as in PT (which is what you probably mean with "Shuffle Snap").

But what do I know... :shrug:

LawrenceF wrote:Shuffle snap is pretty nice. Cubase has a relative ton of small things that don't show up in other places so going down that road with an experienced Cubase user is often not a winning proposition (unless you have on blinders)...
Oh-kay...

How did you create the host GIFs again?
Last edited by Compyfox on Sat May 23, 2015 8:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Any of you s1v3 users tried dragging audio from the arranger to kontakt or 3rd party samplers? Does it work in v3? Thanks
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

LawrenceF wrote:I mean, can you grab two (or 5) non-contiguous vertical song sections in Bitwig and drag or copy them (only them) off somewhere else? No idea.

It's all rather stupid, imo.
I just checked and in Bitwig you can make non-contiguous vertical selections but not non-contiguous horizontal selections. In other words you can select bars 1-4 on tracks 1, 2, and 4, but not bars 1-4 on tracks 1 and 2 along with bars 2-5 on track 4.

I haven't been following the whole discussion so the meta commentary is kinda lost on me.

lfm wrote:Well, aren't we upset now....we know how much you adore S1...and we really want to adore it too....so we had to ask....
Another net misunderstanding. :)

I'm not upset, not sure why you even think that. Nobody here (especially not me) has even claimed no other daw has those features or that they're new to the universe or that S1 3 is a daw killer. :) Nothing they did there (except for the split timeline) is really new. It's more just small and large twists on old stuff. :hihi:
All this dragging in timeline when you can just fiddle the the placeholders instead - that is where the real beauty and timesaver is - not scratchpad - in my view with blinders, of course...
Why do people take this stuff so personally? :hihi:

"Blinders" means (and not you) comparing something but not "really" fully comparing it, only comparing the parts that makes what you (not you) like look better. I personally think Bitwig is an - AMAZING - product for something that hasn't even left the 1.0 cycle yet but for any product (nothing to do with S1) if you tell me that time selection does all the same things are range selection I'd say that you (not you :)) don't know how good range selection really works.

And I used Cubase as an example of something not to pick at, because it has loads of stuff under the hood and as cherry picking contests go, it's really hard to beat checklist wise. :lol: I don't even use it anymore so ... was not pushing something I actually like there.

Anyway, S1 v3 doesn''t excite me anymore. I've had it for awhile. I was only here to help people who just got it figure some of it out because it's so different.

Is it a PT, Cubase, Logic, Sonar, Reaper killer? Hell no. :lol: It's just one of 1000 good products out there.

I'll leave this thread alone with some music. One of my 3-4 test mixes in the v3 release version before i start using it on paid projects to mix, to make sure it's stable enough for that, and no bad bugs like corrupting projects is lurking somewhere in there. It was fun, the discussion and the mix. It is, at the end of the day, all about the music, not the software.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t52ENX7H9QU

Robert Randolph wrote:
lfm wrote:
LawrenceF wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
ULAS wrote:Is there any difference between Studio One's "arranger track" and Reaper's "regions" ?
Not really, from what I can see.
Right. The feature is not new. Cubase had it years ago, dragging an entire section, if's just more manual there.

The arranger track and the scratchpad kinda go together in v3.
I don't know why they did not work with the thumbnail placeholders instead of messing about in the timeline.

Just drag a region where you want it in the thumbnail list - Ctrl drag to make another copy - what you are not sure if to use anymore, just put it last until you know, and make repeat marker stop before that spot.

To me scratchpad seemed obsolete of how I used Arranger tracks in Cubase.
Would be so much easier working with those small bricks instead.
Presonus sometimes complicate things.

In Reaper you got Regions - but the list in region manager could not make regions move physically - and not other thumbnail list, or scratchpad.

I think the demo of S1v3 really could have worked in the thumbnail list doing what they did.

Or is that not implemented to move things around there - like in Cubase?

All they did was dragging from scratchpad which seemed cumbersome to me - a longer track where you see it all in timeline becomes really small and hard to drag-n-drop, as I see it.

Yo have this nice little list of bricks - just move them around instead. No need to see a full project of tracks and drag around.
You should check out how it's done in DP with chunks/sequences and the song window. IMO it's even nicer still than Cubase's method. It also implicitly gives you a 'scratch pad' and they can have access to globally available instruments/effects and their own mixer as well. Songs consist of sequences, and Songs themselves can be put into songs.

The sequences can also be triggered via midi as well.

Video series here explains it pretty well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAPbm2k ... freload=10

The S1v3 version is cool, but Cubase and DP are definitely WAY ahead. I hope Presonus continues to work on this till they are up to par with their competitors.

edit: I really just want to link to the video, not embed it. Bleh.
Yeah it's ahead if you looking for features. For music producers looking at DAW to make music why pick DP and Cubase over studio one? I don't know pro tools expert said this is the best daw for music production. You ever notice real working music producers find studio one easy to use. Might wanna watch the live stream on their site to hear why so many people use it? My perspective is for music producers, not film work/ tedious engineering etc.

LawrenceF wrote:
lfm wrote:Well, aren't we upset now....we know how much you adore S1...and we really want to adore it too....so we had to ask....
Another net misunderstanding. :)

I'm not upset, not sure why you even think that. Nobody here (especially not me) has even claimed no other daw has those features or that they're new to the universe or that S1 3 is a daw killer. :) Nothing they did there (except for the split timeline) is really new. It's more just small and large twists on old stuff. :hihi:
Why do people take this stuff so personally? :hihi:

"Blinders" means (and not you) comparing something but not "really" fully comparing it, only comparing the parts that makes what you (not you) like look better. I personally think Bitwig is an - AMAZING - product for something that hasn't even left the 1.0 cycle yet but for any product (nothing to do with S1) if you tell me that time selection does all the same things are range selection I'd say that you (not you :)) don't know how good range selection really works.

And I used Cubase as an example of something not to pick at, because it has loads of stuff under the hood and as cherry picking contests go, it's really hard to beat checklist wise. :lol: I don't even use it anymore so ... was not pushing something I actually like there.

Anyway, S1 v3 doesn''t excite me anymore. I've had it for awhile. I was only here to help people who just got it figure some of it out because it's so different.

Is it a PT, Cubase, Logic, Sonar, Reaper killer? Hell no. :lol: It's just one of 1000 good products out there.

I'll leave this thread alone with some music. One of my 3-4 test mixes in the v3 release version before i start using it on paid projects to mix, to make sure it's stable enough for that, and no bad bugs like corrupting projects is lurking somewhere in there. It was fun, the discussion and the mix. It is, at the end of the day, all about the music, not the software.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t52ENX7H9QU
Studio One is the best daw for music production. I do urban/pop stuff imo. I want to make music and studio one allows me to do it. I don't want to worry about ASIO spikes, configuring my BIOS, midi timing issues, metronome issue, vst performance blah blah.

http://blog.presonus.com/index.php/2015 ... tudio-one/

http://blog.presonus.com/index.php/2015 ... -webcasts/

Check the producers panel at the end on video 3. You have beyonce, kanye west, christina aguilera's producers discuss why they use studio one. Good panel.

donato wrote:
RockinMillie wrote:
donato wrote:Ordered and immediately received from JRR my upgrade from Prod. 2 to Prof. 3. I can't register the dang thing though. Keep getting the invalid username/password message. No idea what I'm doing wrong. I read the help, opened a ticket, tried typing it in manually instead of copy and pasting...It shows up in my account, but when activating...no dice. :scared:

EDIT: ok. So, it's registered, but I can't activate it. Support already replied and said it's registered and now I just have to activate it...but THAT'S the problem. Is it that I need to wait for an activation code from JRRShop? I mean, they already sent me a registration key...
Try this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxTCfaZVQaE
Thanks, but I'm on a Mac.
I tired it in Windows 8.1 and delete my credential, but it is the same! I can start S1V3 but can't login in any online service like Exchange or SoundCloud ..etc, while in S1V2 I have no problem. Anyway, I noticed a mess! In my account I have another Registeration number for S1V3 demo! Anyway, I don't care a lot now because it is just a demo.

Anway,
Although I still have 27-28 days for the demo, but the more I demo it, the more I'm convinced to stay with S1V2 Prof.

My needs sure are different from other users. I'm a hobbyist with classic/electronic background, so I need it to fulfill my Piano learning and electronic composing (my music is a mix, like in the movies music). I'm not into dubstep but might do some Disco beats!

I compared S1V3 demo with both S1V2 prof. and Cubase Elements 8 (I know it is not fair for Cubase Elements, but I did anyway).

I'm not going into details, just the things that essential for me. I might be "Blinder, or light user or whatever" but I'm not biased and S1V3 is just a product for me after all, not a religion.

I still prefer S1V2 theme and style over S1V3, although I found adjusting S1V3 Lighting to "Darkest Hour" is much better than the default. But when I closed it and run S1V2, I felt refreshed by the style and colours.

Now, I closed S1V2 and run again S1V3. Nice, but not nicer than S1V2. Closed it and run Cubase Elements 8. Wow! really very elegant! The font is very clear and it has excellent balance between colours and style.

Functionality and workflow are similar for me. The Arranger in Cubase is much better than in S1V3. There is more flexibility (like nested regions that I didn't know how to do it in S1V3). Anyway, for me Cubase wins here as the flexibility eliminates the need for Scratchpad in S1V3.

Cubase wins also in Midi editing, Chords track, Mixer and Staff view! Now, this is the Elements I'm talking about!!

S1V3 of course wins in the many effects bundled (but not by far! as I have what covers me in Cubase + third party). I 'still' also have S1V2 Prof. so, I'm not missing really something!

Rewire is different in both Cubase Elements and Studio One (S1V2 and S1V3 are the same). In Cubase the routing is better. I can choose the Instruments in Reason to output either to the Reason's mixer or to the Audio output in the master section directly. In Cubase I can control both ways in Cubase's mixer. In Studio One I only could hear Reason if it is routed to Reason's mixer. I might miss something, but I didn't know how to do it. Cubase wins here.

In Studio One (both v2 and v3) I can automate specific parameter in Thor for example, let's say Freq Filter 3. But in Cubase I didn't know how to do it. I found only CC controls to automate. So, Studio One wins here of course.

Mai Tai is heavy on the cpu. If I go this route, I prefer Diva really, but I have 3 good VA with excellent balance between sound and cpu usage, so I don't need it at all.

Presence XT, I couldn't test the new contents because I can't download them. Anyway, I'm interested mainly in Piano (but to be honest, I'm covered with my Casio DP!). I also have Structure as my sampler of choice. So, not that big difference for me.

The Multi Instrument looked very promising at first, but this can be achieved easily also by layering tracks. I don't feel there is a big difference.

I like the mixer much more in Cubase. It needs a big resolution really, but it is ok with my monitor. I just need to fold/unfold parts. The mixer in S1V2 for me is nicer than in S1V3! I mean it looks nicer and more inviting to work with. Yes, S1V3 mixer is more flexible but I prefer the one in S1V2.

Well, for the above points, I chose not to upgrade to S1V3. I might even sell S1V2 and invest in Cubase, but I really like S1V2 (it is so cute!) so mostly I will just keep it and jump between it and Cubase Elements.

Of course I still like PreSonus as a company and I already ordered E4.5 monitors :D But S1V3 is not for me, so sorry PreSonus. I look forward future versions of S1 while enjoy using S1V2 :)

I've been playing with the demo, it's pretty good. But Cubase still wins out so far for me despite some of its clunkiness.

Does anyone know if it's somehow possible to use Midi Vst's like Cthulhu or even Kontakt scripts in the Multi Instrument thing? Doesn't seem possible.

I do have to say that I like the fact you can draw in velocity by dragging up and down and see it in the note at the same time you draw in midi notes.
"and the Word was Sound..."
https://www.youtube.com/user/InLightTone

tired it in Windows 8.1 and delete my credential, but it is the same! I can start S1V3 but can't login in any online service like Exchange or SoundCloud ..etc, while in S1V2 I have no problem. Anyway, I noticed a mess! In my account I have another Registeration number for S1V3 demo!
That may be why you can't log in to Exchange and Soundcloud, because the activation you're running is maybe the demo. Clidk the Studio One Activation menu and in that little drop down box in that screen, click it to load your registrations, and make sure you select your commercial one. It should have a plain text name on it next to the reg key. If that's the case, select it and and click activate and it will restart and then you should be good for the online stuff.

Hope that helps.

LawrenceF wrote:
tired it in Windows 8.1 and delete my credential, but it is the same! I can start S1V3 but can't login in any online service like Exchange or SoundCloud ..etc, while in S1V2 I have no problem. Anyway, I noticed a mess! In my account I have another Registeration number for S1V3 demo!
That may be why you can't log in to Exchange and Soundcloud, because the activation you're running is maybe the demo. Clidk the Studio One Activation menu and in that little drop down box in that screen, click it to load your registrations, and make sure you select your commercial one. It should have a plain text name on it next to the reg key. If that's the case, select it and and click activate and it will restart and then you should be good for the online stuff.

Hope that helps.
Thanks but I have the S1V3 demo not the commercial. I do have the commercial license for S1V2.6 prof. So that I can login inside S1V2 to online services.

So it's the limitation of the demo then.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”