Waves Codex...Not So Bad

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Codex Wavetable Synth

Feeling cantankerous :clown: I've gleened from this forum that Codex is generally considered meh.

Honestly, it seems like an okay synth to me, it's mostly just the price tag that's outrageous imo. I paid less for Serum, so it seems even more ridiculous in that light.

Since it rarely seems mentioned, I'm curious to see what the reaction to this topic is.
Ha ha suck it!

Codex has some very unique patches if you dig and tweak your way through them, sounds I've never heard before on any other synth (atleast not the same character or quality). That said, Serum is indeed the better of the two imo when it comes to ease of use/results.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

If you listen very carefully to the quality of the table morph, it's not even close to Serum's. There is a harshness to it no matter what you do with it. Clearly it's not superior to Serum and so given it's outrageous price tag, why would anybody buy it over Serum.

Not like wavetable synths is one thing, but if you love them and can only choose one, Codex wouldn't even make the top 5. All the Waldorf stuff is better.

In short, Waves really dropped the ball on this one.

Just my opinion of course.

wagtunes wrote:If you listen very carefully to the quality of the table morph, it's not even close to Serum's. There is a harshness to it no matter what you do with it. Clearly it's not superior to Serum and so given it's outrageous price tag, why would anybody buy it over Serum.

Not like wavetable synths is one thing, but if you love them and can only choose one, Codex wouldn't even make the top 5. All the Waldorf stuff is better.

In short, Waves really dropped the ball on this one.

Just my opinion of course.
An opinion I agree with. I paid $75 for Helix, which was a terrific price. So, drop Codex down to around $39 and I'll think about picking it up, just for collector's sake.

Codex has some of the most perplexing problems I've heard in a synth that's been out as long as it has. And, from what I've heard the original synth its "upgraded" from is mostly the same. Which even furthers the bafflement.

However, I had fun this morning messing around with it; I hooked the "Chaka" preset up with Nerve and boogied a bit this Sunday morning.
Ha ha suck it!

I got Codex secondhand for £35, and I'm very pleased with it, loads of really usable presets, I don't think the general feeling here was that it was 'meh' at all...

basslinemaster wrote:I got Codex secondhand for £35, and I'm very pleased with it, loads of really usable presets, I don't think the general feeling here was that it was 'meh' at all...
I've been messing with it for a good part of this morning, and I agree with you, this is actually a good synth. I think you got a fine deal for that price. It's just that when I stack it up against the Waldorf WT synths, Serum, Z3ta, Helix...but then, those are the crème de la crème in my lowly opinion.

It definitely shows up Twist, though I'm not sure how hard that is to do. Talk about hilariously overpriced (though Twist has its charms as well, at least for me).
Ha ha suck it!

Does anyone buy Waves stuff at the regular price? They seem to have sales all the time, same with Element for which even 99 dollars is too much in my view. And I guess they know it. They have those exaggerated regular prices so that people think oh, there is a sale now, "just" half the price, cool, what a bargain :hihi: In reality 99 bucks has probably been their unofficial asking price all along...
What I like most about Waves synths are their user interfaces...

fluffy_little_something wrote:Does anyone buy Waves stuff at the regular price? They seem to have sales all the time, same with Element for which even 99 dollars is too much in my view. And I guess they know it. They have those exaggerated regular prices so that people think oh, there is a sale now, "just" half the price, cool, what a bargain :hihi: In reality 99 bucks has probably been their unofficial asking price all along...
What I like most about Waves synths are their user interfaces...
I haven't tried Element yet. I agree, the interface is actually pretty cool.

Ingonator has Codex up for sale, I might have to take him up on it...for a slightly lower price. I think it's worth having, but then I am a WT synth fanatic.
Ha ha suck it!

It's got tons and tons of patches. I picked it up while it was dirt cheap and it's nice to have. Yes, no Serum killer though.

the most disappointing synth i ever bought

dave

I got it very cheap, and its growing on me, post-Serum.

It seems to sit in a mix easier than Serum. Maybe that is in my head, or maybe there is some secret mojo on the output making that happen whereas Serum is just 'pure', but that has been my experience.
ImageImageImageImage

:?:
arkmabat wrote:It's got tons and tons of patches. I picked it up while it was dirt cheap and it's nice to have. Yes, no Serum killer though.
You know, the more I fiddle with it this morning and read the forum posts the more I like this synth. There are glaring problems with it (I'll leave it to others to point them out) but it's fine, a good synth. It only pales when stacked up against its obvious betters, and unfortunately for Waves their name is Legion.
Ha ha suck it!

I like it... I think it sounds pretty good and is very easy to use. Bought it for $99 when it was on sale.

Serum is better imo. Codex is definitely worth the intro price. But If the new price is $200 then I'd stay clear.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Robmobius wrote:I like it... I think it sounds pretty good and is very easy to use. Bought it for $99 when it was on sale.

Serum is better imo. Codex is definitely worth the intro price. But If the new price is $200 then I'd stay clear.
Currently 200, which I believe is more expensive than Serum (BWA!).

Uhhh...no thanks.
Ha ha suck it!

I'd say the factory presets on Codex sound better than Serum's, but that overall Serum is a much better synth. The various sound designers out there releasing presets for Serum are really making it obvious how awesome Serum is.

Return to “Instruments”