Studio One 3 Announced!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

standalone wrote:
5Lives wrote:But, if it works for you, party on!
Thank you, patronizing stranger.
Hey man, the internet would be nothing without patronizing strangers. :hihi:

And without sensible Sallys. :D

don't know guys, seems that i'm the only one here, who feels that v3 is less cpu hungry than v2. I must be a lucky guy.

btw v2 was ok for me, as hungry as other daws nothing more.

I haven't tried the Demo of V3 yet , but some of the Demo songs ( ex. J & B Project - Chill mode ) at about 3 mins in on V2 eats my CPU .... i7 920 2.66 1366 socket (6gb ram) I've narrowed it down to S1V2 * Impact plugin * eating it all up 40% or more of the CPU , maybe its not S1 so much as its *Impact plugin * ???? I noticed this on other projects Impact is a CPU hog . Hard to believe a host specific Sampler plugin eats so much ? Other than that S1 has been fine on CPU , I consider my i7 kind if old these days . I wonder if they have fixed Impact or aware of it ?

DHR53 wrote:Hey, it's a DAW. It works... Really, some people act like we would stop using A or B based on their review. I need more time to make music, not more software to make music with. :roll:
So fracking true. Comparing A/B is good....up to a point. But beyond that it is a waste of time.

Now, if only I can get my available space for the studio to be somewhere near the vicinity of the space I need... :help: :x
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Random non-scientific causal thought. (otherwise known as a guess)

It looks like they changed the way it manages graphics across the entire application, which makes sense given the new UI. Having said that (see the first sentence in the post) it might be the case that on some systems like laptops (or desktops) that don't have a dedicated graphic card, where the graphics are on the motherboard, it might be using a few more cycles. No idea. I can't install it on my Vista laptop to compare.

2.x and 3.0 are just about identical here cpu wise on my Win 7 desktop, with Kontakt or Mach 5 or similar instruments that can play the same libraries in both. For midi playing I run at 256 samples (6ms input latency on my card) and I've not noticed any difference. It didn't get better or worse for me.

My graphic card is working harder though because I'm running a higher resolution now. For the first time ever, while recording a Camtasia video of a big Studio One project, Windows threw up a performance alert and turned off Aero all by itself. That may be due to me recording video @ 1920 while also playing back a big audio project at the same time.

blueman wrote:I absolutely adore this DAW; and I honestly couldn't be more excited by the possibilities of this new release. 8) That said, there are sizable CPU issues that I am desperate to get sorted out . Over the last two days, I have done a number of things — too many to mention here — including the "audio power" suggestion on the PreSonus forum. I have disabled several services in Windows 7, tweaked the bios, and monitored the CPU meter while doing several different tasks. This is a tough, if not impossible, nut to crack! :? I would isolate it to an issue with my audio interface — in this case, an RME FireFace 800 — or something to do with Windows 7, my motherboard, etc. However, these issue show up on significantly different systems, including Mac, as well :shrug:

I have a ridiculous amount of love for this DAW. That is why I am willing to stick it out and sort through these issues; however, for any other software I would probably give up. Anyone who has ideas about how to make S1 v3 more stable, I am very grateful for any contribution you can make. Here are my specs:

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H 1155 MB
16 GB Kingston HyperX RAM
Intel i7 3770k 3.4Ghz
RME FireFace 800 into Texas instruments PCI FireWire card
Windows 7 SP1 with all updates to-date
Black Viper "Safe" tweaks to Windows services
Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard
Cisco wireless Internet via USB

Many thanks for any constructive input/advice!
Rich
Hi Rich,

I have a system very similar to yours ( Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH Z77 motherboard, RME Fireface 800, Win 7x64, etc.).

Studio One (all versions) runs great for me. Other than the occasional crash on exit thing, it is very rare for S1 to crash or otherwise become unstable on my machine. I need to include though, that I use quite a bit of UAD plug-ins in most mixes I work on, which takes some strain off the CPU. That said, even with native plug-ins, I've never had issues with Studio One/CPU power on this machine.

I notice that you use a wireless mouse and keyboard. Those kinds of devices have been found to be the source of problems for lots of people on work-stations doing audio and video. It might be worth a shot at replacing those with wired devices, if possible.

Wireless mouse? Thats interesting didn't know that one.

My d.....Daw is bigger than your ... :D

beatmangler443 wrote:Wireless mouse? Thats interesting didn't know that one.
I've used logitech (unifying) wireless mice/trackpads/keyboards on a series of machines, never had any issue with it

thing I'd look at first for causing cpu issues would be wifi, espec usb wifi (easy to fix - unplug your usb wifi adapter when running s1)

donato wrote:Ordered and immediately received from JRR my upgrade from Prod. 2 to Prof. 3. I can't register the dang thing though. Keep getting the invalid username/password message. No idea what I'm doing wrong. I read the help, opened a ticket, tried typing it in manually instead of copy and pasting...It shows up in my account, but when activating...no dice. :scared:

EDIT: ok. So, it's registered, but I can't activate it. Support already replied and said it's registered and now I just have to activate it...but THAT'S the problem. Is it that I need to wait for an activation code from JRRShop? I mean, they already sent me a registration key...
PM sent.

donato wrote:and i really didn't like the condescending and unhelpful support by Gary Hasenbeck from presonus who helped answer and "close" my case. great job by sending me S1 v.2 upgrade links. what a joke. i am a huge Studio One supporter, but I can't stand it when I get bad support from anyone. I'm so angry now I'm thinking of just selling it and going Logic or something.
If it helps at all, a friend of mine on the beta team told me they've been making a big deal about support.

Scottex wrote:i don't know if some of you noticed but S1 v3 will skip some seconds (with some vsti) when transforming Multi-later instrument into audio
How about when you bounce or mixdown?

lfm wrote:To me scratchpad seemed obsolete of how I used Arranger tracks in Cubase.
I like that it can be used for navigation. Aside from that, though, I'm not interested in it.

http://play.macprovideo.com/cubase-8-10 ... toolbox/18

With all the hype about the arranger track its very basic compared to above , also the ability to have other regions inside regions is there. Also the Cubase way is non destructive until you flatten it. It would not be worth drawing attention to this were it not for the the prominent "wow how amazing is this" position they gave this at launch.
They certainly have put a lot a great work into the GUI and other things but this feature isn't really groundbreaking at all.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”