AM FreeHand Free Synth Released!!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote:Well, let me say this. If the new Lynx is like AM Freehand, I don't even need to hear it. No offense. As a free Synthedit synth, AM Freehand is okay, but it's nothing to write home about. It's thin and lifeless, like most Synthedit synths. Maybe if Lynx took the architecture (which is actually pretty interesting) and did it up in C++ with quality oscillators, then yeah, we could have something usable.
Lynx is almost completely done in c++, except for the filter and probably some other minor things. It doesn't guarantee it will be better though. :hihi:

Seems I can't start AM Freehand or Wavedraw on my computer. I remember they worked before and I was kind of disappointed because I thought they would be better. I always wanted synths with drawable oscillators. That's why I made lynx, it's the first synth if you don't count Aegis (which is an emulation) where I feel I didn't have to do any compromises.

Lynx has Stacked/Unison oscillators, but does not have real FM. It can only modify waveforms with FM in the wave editor. I might add FM in the future though because that's one feature I would like to have as well.

I'm glad there is interest in Lynx before I released it, hopefully it wont disappoint you. :)
Thanks!

Xenobioz wrote:I'm glad there is interest in Lynx before I released it, hopefully it wont disappoint you. :)
Based on your previous output, I'm sure it wont :party: :tu:

layzer wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Well, let me say this. If the new Lynx is like AM Freehand, I don't even need to hear it. No offense. As a free Synthedit synth, AM Freehand is okay, but it's nothing to write home about. It's thin and lifeless, like most Synthedit synths. Maybe if Lynx took the architecture (which is actually pretty interesting) and did it up in C++ with quality oscillators, then yeah, we could have something usable.
even if LYNX is SE/SM i for one am going to give it a go, simply because
i know Xenobioz uses custom OSC, and filter modules.
my only complaint without hearing it so far is the knobs look kind of small
in some of the sections. i like his aegis sonix synth too. :D
idfpower wrote:
layzer wrote:my only complaint without hearing it so far is the knobs look kind of small
in some of the sections.
You're right! I just wish it would be possible to make all these synths skinnable by default. Then the devs could concentrate on whatever they feel more important while we get busy messing with the GUIs in Photoshop :lol:

On the other hand, it does look like a Xenobioz synth, heh, so maybe the dev would prefer to retain that character ;)
idfpower wrote:Usually Xenobioz synths have a specific sonic character ;) Somehow they're very 8bit inclined and have an overall gritty sound which I like :)
Thanks guys! Hopefully you will like Lynx.

About the knobs, which ones do you find to small? I might make them bigger if people feel it would be better. :borg:

Just for the heck of it, I took AM Freehand out of mothballs. It actually sounds decent but good heavens is it buggy on a 64 bit OS. The mod wheel cuts off the sound completely as it reaches max position.

Really a shame because I do love the architecture and in theory, this could be a really interesting synth with some great sonic possibilities.

Any chance of getting AM Freehand redone in C++ and 64 bit or am I dreaming?

After using the free version for a while, I bought the full version, it only costs like $10

It is working fine in FL Studio 11, I use it all the time.

I like FreeHand because it is easy to get into, all the parameters are laid out on the screen at the same time, few sub-menus.

In addition to drawable waveforms, there is a hearty helping of waveforms already included.

And it sounds good enough for me 8)

Xenobioz wrote: About the knobs, which ones do you find to small? I might make them bigger if people feel it would be better. :borg:
i realize the env knobs are already tightly squeezed in there in the current size,
but all other sections could see a 20% enlargement of the knobs to balance out the empty spaces in them!

i'm thinking about like this:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Um, if it's C++ and not tied to specific SE/SM module structure/GUi, how about having numbers instead of knobs for envelopes and bigger knobs (like layzer said) for the rest? Also I'd move the OSC/LFO displays in the lower right part of the GUi to the left and leave some space for the synth's logo in that freed space... Just a thought... :)
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

layzer wrote:
Xenobioz wrote: About the knobs, which ones do you find to small? I might make them bigger if people feel it would be better. :borg:
i realize the env knobs are already tightly squeezed in there in the current size,
but all other sections could see a 20% enlargement of the knobs to balance out the empty spaces in them!

i'm thinking about like this:
OK, I'll write it up on my to do list and then later try it out.
Thanks for reminding about the logo too, completely forgot that.
idfpower wrote:Um, if it's C++ and not tied to specific SE/SM module structure/GUi, how about having numbers instead of knobs for envelopes and bigger knobs (like layzer said) for the rest? Also I'd move the OSC/LFO displays in the lower right part of the GUi to the left and leave some space for the synth's logo in that freed space... Just a thought... :)
For numbers I could just replace the image for the knob with an image containing numbers I think. But I don't personally like the idea. I prefer knobs or sliders.
Moving the OSC/LFO buttons to the left is a good idea.

Thanks!

Numanoid wrote:After using the free version for a while, I bought the full version, it only costs like $10

It is working fine in FL Studio 11, I use it all the time.

I like FreeHand because it is easy to get into, all the parameters are laid out on the screen at the same time, few sub-menus.

In addition to drawable waveforms, there is a hearty helping of waveforms already included.

And it sounds good enough for me 8)
I also have the paid version, but eventually I did not like its sound quality and I never used it other than playing around and learning why some waveforms sound good and others don't.
The drawing thing is like in Mux/Mulab.

layzer wrote: i'm thinking about like this:
I was looking for a good font similar to the one you used on the Lynx logo on my computer, but couldn't find one. I might want to use your font because I like the shape of the Y. Can you give me it's name? Otherwise It might look cool to have Lynx ears on the Y, but right now I don't feel I have time to make that my self.

I found a similar font that I like even more.

It's not just me digging up old synths

Just look at what's peeking out on the latest Beat Workzone issue, isn't that Freehand (SL version) 8)

What is "SL version"?
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

idfpower wrote:What is "SL version"?
Probably a special version of FreeHand that was given away as magware with Beat back in the day.

Oh, so there was a Beat version as well..hm...interesting. I wonder if that one was as buggy as the rest...

Return to “Instruments”