FL Studio 12 Released!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
FL Studio All Plugins Edition

Why is readability such a problem these days in software GUI design? It's so bad that even Apple lost their freaking minds on iOS 7. All these design experts that know nothing of the HUMAN part of human interface design. FL 12 looks cool though, unlike iOS. But so much software has interface objects and text that are far too small (as well as bad color choice, flat nonsense, meaningless icons, etc), and not just because they have been out for many years and were designed way back when. Will there ever be a renaissance of function brought back to design, or are we permanently stuck with design for sex appeal and change for the sake of change?? (not harping on FL so much here, but the complaints by others above with the meter readability got me ranting about the overall problem)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

camsr wrote:
abject39 wrote:One issue I've reported twice over at the image line forum while 12 was still in beta is the mixer meter. I even told the image line representative during IMSTA in LA. It's the only reason I just can't find myself upgrading to 12. The mixer meter db scale readout is almost impossible to see. The numbers are dark grey and the mixer is darker gray. This is not optimum at all and cripples mixing performance as it's hard to see what level your audio volume is at. This is harder to view when the mixer is in compact mode. The color needs to change to something that actually contrast so it can be read properly or a db readout box should be added to the mixer.
You too? The contrasting is terrible. Users would like to make their own color schemes. The peak meter changes make it more difficult to see, with the ladders on the inside. IL, please do something about this.
Why don't you guys make the requests where they will be seen?

Looptalk - The official FL Studio users forum

FWIW: Yes the contrast is too low.

Regards Scott
Image-Line are proud developers of - FL Studio, FL Studio Mobile & Audio Plugins.

Jace-BeOS wrote:Why is readability such a problem these days in software GUI design? It's so bad that even Apple lost their freaking minds on iOS 7. All these design experts that know nothing of the HUMAN part of human interface design. FL 12 looks cool though, unlike iOS. But so much software has interface objects and text that are far too small (as well as bad color choice, flat nonsense, meaningless icons, etc), and not just because they have been out for many years and were designed way back when. Will there ever be a renaissance of function brought back to design, or are we permanently stuck with design for sex appeal and change for the sake of change??
I would say yes. If programs don't get a design update every 3 months, people get bored from looking at it. Also shows on hardware, if i take a look at the latest generation of midi controllers. All blinky blinky and flashy and loads of colours, but the ease of use suffers from the unclearness of the layout. Sickness of our time, if it doesn't please the eye, it's not good. Though i can in parts understand, and i agree that no GUI has to look like ZynAddSubFx's, i don't feel like something has to be changed so frequently.

Not talking about FLS either here, just general.

Well, I did say that everything is centered on THE EYE!!!!!! :shock:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Image-Line wrote:
Why don't you guys make the requests where they will be seen?

Looptalk - The official FL Studio users forum

FWIW: Yes the contrast is too low.

Regards Scott
No need, Image-Line got the message (I hope)

Disclosure, I don't even want to upgrade. The New UI looks like alien vomit. And the peak meters...

No company listen to crack users :hihi:

tooneba wrote:No company listen to crack users :hihi:
Touché... :clap:

lol. There's also the FL COLOR POLICE to worry about (something I saw on their forum while searching)

Keeping up with the controversy, are you? :lol:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

i dont like FL12 so far, i spent about 1 hour and i dont know why they complicated so many things to fl11.... i hate FL12 so far.... the adding of new plugins, the whole categories, the colours, the buttons. bleh.

guess i will return to my beloved fl11 and stay there.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote:i dont like FL12 so far, i spent about 1 hour and i dont know why they complicated so many things to fl11.... i hate FL12 so far.... the adding of new plugins, the whole categories, the colours, the buttons. bleh.

guess i will return to my beloved fl11 and stay there.
Before using it you should watch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgyDMLF_MXk

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pqcrvXs6C0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvIKuqdhvkc

Like most change, in the first hour it's frustrating, if you give it a few days you will probably see it differently.

Regards Scott
Image-Line are proud developers of - FL Studio, FL Studio Mobile & Audio Plugins.

Seamless' vids for 12 are pretty good for 'the transition', as well...
ImageImageImageImage

camsr wrote:The New UI looks like alien vomit. And the peak meters...
Charming. Based on the like/dislikes on the launch video, you are in the 1.3% that don't like it. Fair enough, you can't please everyone with a single aesthetic. But we're happy to move ahead with the 98.6% that do like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cWQbH3llx8

Regards Scott

Hey that's ok. I'm 100% certain that customizable colors would get IL more sales, but if that's how it's gotta be then why should I care?
Where are the FL power users when you need them?! There is probably a way to hex edit the program and change the colors. I would love to see some developer support regarding it.
But I honestly don't know why it was decided to change the peak meters to make the actual functionality of it less useful. You guys might as well have removed them completely. Unless there is still a way to use something that looks like the previous versions?

Scott with all respect im a user 6 or 7 years now and will spend more time with FL12 but only cause about 2% statistically from youtube or wherever dont like it or feel the new colour scheme (and it's a drastic change + all laid out for touchscreens which some might not use...) it is pretty arrogant to say you give a shit practically about them...... i would love to customize the layout/gui a bit to old school setting instead of BEING FORCED to like all choices you do......
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”