Please let me choose where to install VST3 plugins

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sorry, not a development topic per se but thought it would maybe fit here best...

I just recently switched to using VST3 plugins because my DAW now supports it.

I have noticed that some (many ?) VST3 plugins seem to default to Program Files\Common Files\VST3 (for 64 bit plugins) or Program Files(x86)\Common Files\VST3 (for 32 bit plugins) for their installation with no alternative choice where to put them during installation.

E.g. I just installed this one where I noticed this
http://www.audiodamage.com/downloads/pr ... ?pid=ADF02

However, above location is NOT my preferred place for plugins, I'd like to keep C: drive for system files only, and usually install audio stuff on my D: partition, meaning I have to move these plugins after installation manually.

So - I'd be happy if I could choose where VST3 plugins go during installation.

Historically software installers have done what Microsoft call "spewing files across your hard drive". This has resulted in PCs that get slower and slower over time as junk builds up in various places you are unaware of.
The fix is to standardise the various locations software installers use to put files. It's best to leave it that way. If you wish to these files to physically reside on your D drive, you can redirect that folder with a hard link. This is a better solution.

Jeff McClintock wrote: The fix is to standardise the various locations software installers use to put files. It's best to leave it that way. If you wish to these files to physically reside on your D drive, you can redirect that folder with a hard link. This is a better solution.
Sorry, I disagree.

1. With your logic, why are we given free install location choice for VST2 plugins (where your arguments actually should also apply, no ?), just not for (some) VST3 plugins ?

2. I don't like somebody else deciding for me what is said to be 'a better solution', I say, leave it to the user instead.

Best approach imo would be to always give install location choice also for VST3 plugins but it should default to the standard VST3 path, so users wanting to install there (probably the majority) can just 'click through' but others like me still have the location choice if desired.

I think it's worse than ever now..

c:\program files
c:\program files(x86)
c:\program data
c:\user\name\AppData\Local
c:\user\name\AppData\Roaming
c:\user\name\Documents

There's probably more locations than this... If you need a config file you got some fun folder browsing to do >.<
:hug:

Crackbaby wrote:I think it's worse than ever now..

There's probably more locations than this... If you need a config file you got some fun folder browsing to do >.<
That's exactly why I don't like this forced centralized approach.

the VST3 plug-in locations are defined in the VST3 spec. So it's not really up to plug-in developers to allow you to put them elsewhere.

Crackbaby wrote:I think it's worse than ever now..

Has to be like that.

32-bit programs should have their own program files as opposed to 64-bit programs. "Program Data" is global storage for all users. AppData is per individual user storage. XP was the pretty much the same, except folders were in slightly different places.

hibrasil wrote:the VST3 plug-in locations are defined in the VST3 spec. So it's not really up to plug-in developers to allow you to put them elsewhere.
I just checked (reading VST3 SDK) and you're right. D'oh.
Thanks for pointing it out though.

EvilDragon wrote:
Has to be like that.

32-bit programs should have their own program files as opposed to 64-bit programs. "Program Data" is global storage for all users. AppData is per individual user storage. XP was the pretty much the same, except folders were in slightly different places.
Thanks for that Evil!
:hug:

Use junction points, redirect stuff where you want.
OFFICIAL free competition : If you' see martiu post 'why you mad homie' or similar after this post, you are a prizewinner, and a free reverb plugin is yours. PM martiu immediately, and ask for your prize. He'll give it to you, baby!

This is the reason I don't use VST3.
Can't stand stuff being installed all over my PC.

VSTs go in the VST folder. No exceptions.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

It's always going to be installed in different places on your machine. You can't really fight it.

VST3 plugins all go into ONE location by design - so that's a good thing.

I remember that Retrologue also installed in some directory I could not change. But I simply moved the whole folder to my own directory after installation and it worked. Seems that either there are no links inside or that they are automatically updated when moving stuff around :)

Although the location is indeed part of the VST3 spec, some hosts let you load VST3s from elsewhere, e.g. VSTHost does. Provided of course that the plug-in supports this.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”