Hive preview (April 1 update)

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

yemski wrote:Just bought Hive after writing close to 220 patches and using it in about 4 tunes.
Wicked synth. Loving it for bass especially. Getting a lot of different flavours with the Arp/Seq as well. I didn't expect to like a synth with such a limited feature set, when compared to say Spectral, Serum or Dune 2, quite this much. A wider range of basic waveforms would be a plus, as well as FM, Ringmod, Sync, (possibly single cycle wave form import), but the the tonal shaping I've got from the different filters styles, various detune modes and knowing how to drive the Filter input in various ways has lead to a lot of varied timbres that I was not expecting.

One possible bug I've noticed: Nothing happens when I use Sequencer gate as a destination. I've put every possible mod in it's direction, but at present, there is no effect from modulating this destination.
He hasn't said anything about Ring-mod yet (though I'd love for that to happen!), but Urs has said that he wants to try and add in FM and Sync, as well as more organic expressive waveforms ♥.

I'm not sure if it's correct to post that here... but is it possible to implement the chorus engine from Diva into Hive? That hive chorus sounds extremely weak to me. Actually I think the effect is more kinda "subtle", but I also want extreme results! :)

Would be great if possible... maybe as new "engine", if you don't want to break actual presets due to a change.

PepeLopez wrote:I'm not sure if it's correct to post that here... but is it possible to implement the chorus engine from Diva into Hive? That hive chorus sounds extremely weak to me. Actually I think the effect is more kinda "subtle", but I also want extreme results! :)

Would be great if possible... maybe as new "engine", if you don't want to break actual presets due to a change.
The chorus in Hive is actually from Diva:
Urs wrote:Chorus, Phaser, Reverb and Delay are taken from Diva. Phaser was robbed of its Sync function, Reverb got an extra Tone and Width control, Delay got simplified and Width control added. The algorithms are identical otherwise.
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 0#p6014310

Chapelle wrote:The chorus in Hive is actually from Diva:
Urs wrote:Chorus, Phaser, Reverb and Delay are taken from Diva. Phaser was robbed of its Sync function, Reverb got an extra Tone and Width control, Delay got simplified and Width control added. The algorithms are identical otherwise.
The Reverb in Hive is very good. I actually wish it was an option in Zebra2.

Chapelle wrote:
PepeLopez wrote:I'm not sure if it's correct to post that here... but is it possible to implement the chorus engine from Diva into Hive? That hive chorus sounds extremely weak to me. Actually I think the effect is more kinda "subtle", but I also want extreme results! :)

The chorus in Hive is actually from Diva:
Well, there can always certainly be more effects. I wouldn't mind a Plate Reverb for instance, or other kinds of chorus' :). More distortion types, like tube or Diva's killer Rotary would certainly be welcome.

I'm curious about these new waveforms. I hope we'll get other kinds of supersaws... or perhaps more interestingly, a greater ability to change it up so there doesn't have to be a dozen different kinds. Changing the amount of aliasing or character might even be something for the third hexagon: making the waveform sound more vintage or modern. I love the fat, juicy and aggressive sound of the supersaws in Roland's vintage modules like the JD-990 (https://www dot youtube.com/watch?v=jCubA3oltGM) or JV-1080 (https://www dot youtube.com/watch?v=0h6tHXziuus) ♥.

I remember one of the ideas for the hexagon was inspired by Rob Papen's "Blade" and it's Harmolater because it's an additive synth. Something like that for Hive's supersaws sounds like what I'm saying ^^.

It would make for a nice contrast with the smooth sound of the current modern supersaw :).
Last edited by Shiek927 on Tue May 19, 2015 5:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Shiek927 wrote: I wouldn't mind a Plate Reverb for instance,
If the reverb algo is from Diva, then it is plate.

db3 wrote:
Shiek927 wrote: I wouldn't mind a Plate Reverb for instance,
If the reverb algo is from Diva, then it is plate.
Taking a look at Diva's manual, indeed it is! :O

I assumed it wasn't plate because there wasn't an option for such in the drop-down menu. That's what I'm used too.

I feel like a newbie right now, cause I can´t understand how to import downloaded presets into Hive. Read the manual, but there´s nothing there to help me. Anyone?

Perhaps I have downloaded an older beta of Hive? (it sais version 0.2.0 in my version)

/Jonathan

onathanj wrote:I feel like a newbie right now, cause I can´t understand how to import downloaded presets into Hive. Read the manual, but there´s nothing there to help me. Anyone?

Perhaps I have downloaded an older beta of Hive? (it sais version 0.2.0 in my version)

/Jonathan
Presets are saved as files in a folder on your hard drive. To find the folder easily, on Hive's preset window, right-click the "Local" folder and select "open in Explorer" (if you're on Windows). If you have a Mac, right-click the "User" folder and select "reveal in Finder".

All you have to do now is to copy the downloaded files into this folder (if they're stored in a .zip-file you have to extract them first). After this either restart Hive or right-click on the preset window and select "refresh". The presets should appear now.

I brought this up a month or two ago also: using (purchased or demo version) Hive (now 1.0) with Mac OSX10.6.8 and Cubase LE4, the gui often locks up, even when I slowly change patches, or tweak virtual controls. Then none of the controls work, can't change patches. Often happens every five minutes or so. Then I have to remove that track from Cubase or re-boot Cubase.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

aaron aardvark wrote:I brought this up a month or two ago also: using (purchased or demo version) Hive (now 1.0) with Mac OSX10.6.8 and Cubase LE4, the gui often locks up, even when I slowly change patches, or tweak virtual controls. Then none of the controls work, can't change patches. Often happens every five minutes or so. Then I have to remove that track from Cubase or re-boot Cubase.
Unfortunately we do not have access to this combination anymore. We might have 10.6 around, but Cubase LE4 can't be obtained anymore.

Does this also happen with any other VST2 host? - In that case we could probably debug it.

Downloaded the latest release Hive 1.0.0
cool New Skin !
how come the sequencer Gate cannot be modulated by the sequencer yet ? I thought this version was going to sort that out .

will this feature be added later on ?
I also found that the gui still glitches at 90% size around the Envelopes and needs to be reset.
Last edited by Nutrinoland on Tue May 26, 2015 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Urs wrote:
aaron aardvark wrote:I brought this up a month or two ago also: using (purchased or demo version) Hive (now 1.0) with Mac OSX10.6.8 and Cubase LE4, the gui often locks up, even when I slowly change patches, or tweak virtual controls. Then none of the controls work, can't change patches. Often happens every five minutes or so. Then I have to remove that track from Cubase or re-boot Cubase.
Unfortunately we do not have access to this combination anymore. We might have 10.6 around, but Cubase LE4 can't be obtained anymore.

Does this also happen with any other VST2 host? - In that case we could probably debug it.
It hasn't done it in several months, though Arturia ARP2600-V used to do that to me pretty often. I am assuming an update fixed that. If I do stuff too fast on Arturia Analog Lab, it might lock up once in awhile, but that's when I have two synth emulations running on one Cubase track (a combination thing), so that puts a strain on the computer. I don't recall a u-he program giving me this much trouble (with this issue) with my current set up. I would really appreciate it if you could fix it, because it gets frustrating. I also own Diva, ZebraHZ, and Presswerk. I've tried demo versions (or free ones) of every u-he product made in the last ~4 years. Thank you.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

aaron aardvark wrote:
Urs wrote:

It hasn't done it in several months, though Arturia ARP2600-V used to do that to me pretty often. I am assuming an update fixed that. If I do stuff too fast on Arturia Analog Lab, it might lock up once in awhile, but that's when I have two synth emulations running on one Cubase track (a combination thing), so that puts a strain on the computer. I don't recall a u-he program giving me this much trouble (with this issue) with my current set up. I would really appreciate it if you could fix it, because it gets frustrating. I also own Diva, ZebraHZ, and Presswerk. I've tried demo versions (or free ones) of every u-he product made in the last ~4 years. Thank you. I tried (trial version) Cubase Elements 7 with Mac OSX10.9.3 roughly a year ago & that gave me major issues with Zebra & Diva (virtual controls did not work at all most of the time) and couldn't even open some of my Arturia stuff. That's when I reverted back to Mac OSX 10.6.8. I realize u-he probably fixed that, but I'm afraid to try a newer Cubase again until I get a newer computer, but that could be years from now.

aaron aardvark wrote:I tried (trial version) Cubase Elements 7 with Mac OSX10.9.3 roughly a year ago & that gave me major issues with Zebra & Diva (virtual controls did not work at all most of the time)
This was an issue with OSX 10.9 - we have since done a workaround, the unresponsive UI-issue on 10.9 is resolved for good.

It would still be great to know if any other host (i.e. non-Steinberg) on your setup gives you those freezes with Hive. Otherwise we won't have a chance to reproduce the issue… it would furthermore help to know what Mac/CPU you use.

Return to “u-he”