best true morph effect?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm not sure what I mean by true, but I assume there are many ways to morph sounds. But when I hear a spectral morph, its sounds much more interesting than just a crossfade type morph.

Can someone please recommend a plugin that does this that you have experience with?

thank you!

Greg K.

http://www.zynaptiq.com/morph/

There's an active thread about it only a few ones below: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&t=433433

Zynaptiq morph does not do this type of spectral morphing:

1. Change the position of all amplitudes and frequencies of the first sound to become the amplitudes and frequencies that the second sound uses.

2. 512 sine wave partials spectral morphing.

3. The sound between the 2 different sounds would sound out of tune and detuned because the frequencies of the 2 sounds are too far away from each other.

4. Could be done with FFT.

There's no effect plugin that I am aware of doing that.

And the ''best'' (if that exists) doing morphs between 2 sounds is still Zynaptiq Morph.

When I think "spectral morphing" I assume a synth with two spectral profiles and a parameter that shifts between them (like DiscoDSP Vertigo).

As an effect, what comes to mind is this:

- a main input and a sidechain input
- analyze both with phase vocoders
- don't actually modify any bin frequencies, but map bins from the sidechain input to the best matching bins in the main input
- morphing applies the mapped amplitudes to the main input's amplitudes

I could be way off base, but it might sound pretty cool depending on the inputs anyway. I may have to experiment with this. :D

wonder if something like this could be built in Reaktor.

...come to think of it, I believe I've pretty much described an ordinary vocoder. :P

The best true morph is still Kyma.

In VST land, Zynaptiq Morph.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Amazon: why not use an alternative

I am not a (max-for-live) guy.
Can (max/msp) VST plugins be run in FL STUDIO ?

Seems Prosoniq's old Morph Plugin has been bought by zinaptic

Though i'm not sure what u mean. but it will sound artifical unless you're into that

as for a vocoder the most powerfull vocoder i've ever seen is the old Native-instruments VOkator..but its been discontinued
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

Zynaptic morph
Alchemy
Spectrumworx

These are the vsts that give the best results morphing between sounds that I've found. Alchemy is non realtime, but it gives the best results with certain types of sounds.

JJ
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ircam's AudioSculpt might be closer to what the OP is looking for:

"Cross Synthesis: application of spectral data from one sound to another in order to create a hybrid sound or a transition from one sound to another."

However most of their stuff is Mac-only and generally is available on a subscription basis only. But they do have some powerful and interesting tools.

Sadly, morphing remains a skill, not a plug-in. Asking for a plug-in to morph is almost like asking for a plug-in to bassline. Plug-ins will assist in achieving a morph/writing a bassline, but they won't perform it outright. I just can't see a plug-in that'll do it automagically popping up any time the near future. It's certainly impossible to do morphs in real-time on more complex sounds because the sounds you're morphing are themselves in spectral motion. Your real-time plug-in can only see the present - it can't see what the sounds will do in the future (in both immediate and long term timescales) and adjust the morph accordingly (well, not without insane amounts of latency anyway).

All the Kyma examples that people wet themselves over are extremely carefully crafted. The transients in the source materials are carefully aligned for instance. If you listen to the famous "harp to guitar to dog" sound example (below), we can clearly hear that the two instruments are playing the same pitches and imitating the rhythm of the dog barking. It's all very well prepared. We also have no knowledge of how much work went into achieving any of the morphs showcased on the Kyma website in terms of selecting the right sounds and pre-processing. I think it's telling that they won't say.

http://ssc-media.com/Audio/mp3/harpguitdog.mp3

Trevor Wishart was doing convincing morphs in an 100% analog studio as far back as 1973 (in Red Bird), while the incredible morphs in Vox 5 were accomplished on an Atari ST in 1986 using CDP (which is now freeware). It really is all about getting the right sounds to begin with, then preparing and processing them in an intelligent way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y23kobWHs8M

You'll get the best results if you see morphing as a multi-part process. CDP (for instance) has loads of functions by which you can preprocess files to achieve smoother morphs: aligning transients, dragging instruments to the same pitch at the point which the morph begins, dragging all the partials in a non-tonal sound to a harmonic grid before morphing (or vice versa for tonal sounds into non-tonal sounds)... A really cool technique is to do a three stage morph using your voice as a 'bridge' in the middle. Sound 1 -> morphed to you very briefly imitating a morph from sound 1 to sound 2 with your voice -> morphed to sound 2.

Loads of possibilities! :)

Return to “Effects”