MusicLab RealEight?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you have all other RG engines as well and want a (somewhat) "Bass":
- go to into the Tune Settings
- pull down "COARSE" to -12 (which drops the whole audio engine by one octave

This trick can be used to downtune the other guitars to "tuned to A" (not dropped tuning, which would be the bass string). You can find a couple of Djent videos with RealLPC that use this technique.

Tone wise, I'm not an expert in this (I recently created a cheat sheet of what gear I actually have, but realized that I always come back to clones of Soldano, ENGL and Marshall Plexi/JCM x00). But if you saw my screenshots, I love using TwoNotes Torpedo "Wall of Sound" as cabinet sim (as of late, mostly 2x12's - not the usual MESA 4x12) - though I will keep your Impulse recommendation in mind.

Would love to get feedback on my RealEight settings. Especially if they were useful to you.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I have Wall of Sound and a few cabs, I wasn't crazy about the program, but the cabs and options sound great. I just hate how the program has to connect to a server every time it's loaded, and that takes a significant amount of time considering that I'm on a pretty fast connection.

Your R8 preset was a definite improvement. Thank you for sharing that.

I've yet to check the most recent WoS 3 version, but the dev told me at Musikmesse that there were some considerable improvements - also for offline users. I prefer using WoS2 myself.

Glad to hear that you like my RealEight preset and that it could help you with your production.
This feature was definitely long overdue - and I really hope to see it in all other RG's in the near future as well.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Here's a test with the Bass portion of R8. I did some pre-equalizing to get the tone well enough to send it through the Darkglass B7K. Then I ran it through the Neo410 cabinet in Recabinet 4.

This is for a demo (hopefully) for RealEight.

https://copy.com/MjeIYOfLTBHPrxJg

Sound okay to me.

Though I feel that some notes are cut off too abruptly. I think, it doesn't matter that much in a full mix though.

Yeah, it wasn't anything concrete. I just wanted to see how a guitar tuned to bass-like notes would sound through a B7K. Also, I hadn't applied your settings to the bass instance of R8 yet. I just want to thank you for your help. It's mucho appreciated. :)

Glad I could help. :tu:

Though one thing:
If you want a bit more variation for your guitarists, slightly alter the settings of the "humanize" engine. For example: more tight, less tight, more sloppy, less sloppy, etc.

This way you can create various virtual guitarists that you can recall for your productions. And my hope goes to Musiclab, that these settings can be recalled in all other RG's as well. But we will have to wait and see.

I'm really liking RealEight! I do wish it had chord recognition, but hopefully that is coming at some point. Here's a demo I made for it, which you can also find at the RealEight page on the MusicLab site under "Audio Demos".

https://soundcloud.com/b15fliptop/pummelfist-final-mix
Brian Garrison
Tracks In The Box
YouTube | Facebook

I like the demo in terms of "play modes", but not necessarily in terms of sound. Somehow a bit too much reverb, and the "rhyhtm guitar" is too centered. But I do come from a different perspective as Audio Engineer.

I do like the part at around 0:24. Did you use Trills or Hammer Ons for this?
Sounds like a bend, but it's "more" than a bend.

b15fliptop wrote:I do wish it had chord recognition, but hopefully that is coming at some point.
According to the recent Musiclab forum entries, chord recognition was not possible since the "Chord"/Picking and Pattern Engine is limited to 6 string guitars.

I still wait for an answer by the developers. But chances are this will be addressed with a new RealGuitar Engine (we're currently on Engine 3.1, I think Engine 4 is in the making). The Humanize engine is still planned to be ported into the current guitar engines. No set ETA, but hopefully around Q3/2015.

Well, the "Pattern" engine can still be used with RealEight. The pattern of all other RealGuitars are MIDI files, so you can drag them over to your host, drop them by an octave and there you go. You will loose out on the Picking Mode pattern however (unless you use the workaround, that I'll go into in a minute).

The "Chord Recognition" can be somewhat ported as well.
But for this, you need another RealGuitar of the set, daisy-chained like this:

EXAMPLE WITH CUBASE:
MIDI Keyboard -> MIDI IN (CH1) -> MIDI OUT -> Real Guitar/Stat/LPC/Rick (Chord Mode)

Real Guitar/Stat/LPC/Rick set up to MIDI & AUDIO OUT

Real Guitar/Stat/LPC/Rick -> MIDI IN (CH2) -> Chords dropped by 1 octave (e.g. MIDI Modifier) -> MIDI OUT -> RealEight

So what you basically do is:
Trigger the Chord mode of either RealGuitar except RealEight with a MIDI Keyboard, the triggered chords are then converted into regular MIDI notes on the engine's output. These notes are then dropped by one octave (either manually or on the fly with a modifier), then forwarded to RealEight.

This way you can still write your solo and interval chord content. But if you're lost on fretboard chords, just use an existing Musiclab RealGuitar and let the brain convert your chords for you.

However - as all other guitars usually go to drop D maximum (RealGuitar Acoustic only down to E IIRC, RealLPC to Drop C), you 're limited to that tuning. Open low Bb chords are not possible. So please keep that in mind.

Compyfox wrote:I like the demo in terms of "play modes", but not necessarily in terms of sound. Somehow a bit too much reverb, and the "rhyhtm guitar" is too centered. But I do come from a different perspective as Audio Engineer.
I guess you mean the delay on the lead guitars? There is only a slight room reverb on the drums and rhythm guitar, so I hope that's not what you're referring to. I tried to make it very subtle.
Compyfox wrote: I do like the part at around 0:24. Did you use Trills or Hammer Ons for this?
Sounds like a bend, but it's "more" than a bend.
Yes, 32nd note trills.
Compyfox wrote:According to the recent Musiclab forum entries, chord recognition was not possible since the "Chord"/Picking and Pattern Engine is limited to 6 string guitars.
Yes, and I don't get that. I'm sure it would mean reprogramming the chords for eight strings (different voicing, obviously), which I know would take some work, but doesn't seem impossible to me. I'm not a software engineer, though.
Compyfox wrote:The "Chord Recognition" can be somewhat ported as well.
But for this, you need another RealGuitar of the set, daisy-chained.
Yes, I've messed around with that. The problem is, it doesn't always put the notes on the right strings, like the full chord engine does. In other words, sometimes there are two notes on one string simultaneously. Not a huge deal, but less than ideal. :)
Brian Garrison
Tracks In The Box
YouTube | Facebook

Compy, I took another stab at the mix based on your comments. Specifically, I added another guitar cab on the rhythm guitar, and panned the two hard left and right. I also added some ducking to the delay on the leads to try and clean things up a bit. I hope this sounds better. I've lost all perspective, lol. :dog:

https://app.box.com/s/wnpds87hvpnmeeolvwtpf2aq37riiocu
Brian Garrison
Tracks In The Box
YouTube | Facebook

IMO, there is still too much reverb on the rhythm guitars, but again - Audio Engineer listens a bit different than a musician. ;)

I'll try to take a closer look at a possible RG Chord Mode -> RealEight solution in the next hours.
I do understand your concerns with the chord offset - maybe I can find a quick solution to that.

https://soundcloud.com/verncmusic/ir8-m ... eight-demo

There's my demo that I posted earlier this week. I don't know if I like the bass tone too much, though I know it's just the guitar tuned down to bass notes. I may stick to actual bass libraries for that. I think this may be a bit bass heavy too.

There's some shoutouts to Feared and Meshuggah here too. ;)

Nice!
Brian Garrison
Tracks In The Box
YouTube | Facebook

I posted about this on the MusicLab forum, but I'm posting this here too. maybe someone can help. I'm experiencing a pretty switch issue (possibly a bug) in Cubase 8.
I've encountered a strange issue in Cubase 8. For some reason, the release notes are playing when there no break in the midi notes. However, before that, I had an issue with my legato slide keyswitch not working. So I restarted Cubase, reopened the project and now something is triggering the release notes. Here is an audio sample of what's happening.

https://copy.com/mmuyAf8zQ7p9eQtI

It's definitely the release notes because if I disable them in the R8 mixer, the problem goes away.

edit: I switched between two RealEight settings files while the midi was playing back and the release problem went away. But now legato slides don't work again.

Return to “Instruments”