One Synth Challenge #75: PG-8X (Jasinski Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

photonic wrote:Hi all,

I am lucky that I found time to join OSC again. My 3 months pause was longer than I planed. :(
This time I concentrated more to the groove than to melody and chord progression.

https://soundcloud.com/photonic-1/photo ... -a-haircut

35 instances of PG-8X in Reaper v4.731

Dynamics: TDRFeedBackCompressor, GClip, FluxBitterSweet-II, ReaComp, FerricTDS
Filter: ReaEQ, MQ57, TAL Filter
Delays: Ixox Delay, NastyDLA, TAL DUB II
Reverb: EpicVerb, TAL Reverb III, FreVerbToo
Satturation: FerricTDS, GreenEugen
Stereo: GStereo, MAutopan, MidSideMangler
Analyzer: Span, TT Dynamic Range Meter

Dynamik Range according TT Dynamic Range Meter: DR=11

All presets are done from scratch, except the piano sound is based on the patch from SOS-magazine.
I had to layer some sounds, like kick, snare, percussion and bass.
You can download my presets here:
http://www.astroimages.at/musik/KVR/Photonic - what a haircut.zip

I had some troubles with the PG-8X: in polymode 2, I often had hanging notes. And everytime after loading the project in Reaper, some sounds have been incredible loud for their first notes playing. After those few notes, the vloume was OK and staid OK as long as I worked on the project. When I loaded the project next ime, I had the problem again.

PS: Gute Besserung, Yvonne! :tu:
Not enough cowbell.

Seriously, this freakin rocks. I don't think this month is going to be a runaway for anyone. Way too many great tracks.

This so takes me back to the 80s and Alan Parsons and his heavier side.

I fully expect this to be somewhere in the top 5.

Yeah, I'd be shocked if it wasn't, honestly. :tu:

doctorbob wrote:Welcome Adam,

Don't forget to add it to the OSC group page and also to list out the number of instances of the synth you used, what DAW, and any FX you used (check other peoples posts to see what they do).

Check out the challenge front page for the rules and group

https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/osc-75-pg-8x

Re your comment about mixing - just ask here for help and advice, there are so many great people here with great experience and talent who will be more than happy to help out.

I'll listen a few more times before dropping in a few comments on the Soundcloud timeline.

Cheers,

dB
Thanks. I updated my post to reflect what you asked for. I totally re-uploaded the track this morning. I uploaded directly to the group (and shared it to the group from my Soundcloud user page). I don't know how long it will take to show up there.

a1wend1l wrote: Thanks. I updated my post to reflect what you asked for. I totally re-uploaded the track this morning. I uploaded directly to the group (and shared it to the group from my Soundcloud user page). I don't know how long it will take to show up there.
No problem. It will take a little time as Brian needs to "approve" it ... depends how busy he is.

The extra info on your post is just fine - you could also put that info on the Soundcloud track page as well because most people who listen will do so by looking at the group page rather than picking it up via these discussion pages. People tend NOT to wade through all the pages, but I expect you would have guessed that.

Good luck - and welcome once again. Any help and advice can be got by simply asking here - everyone is just great here - I have found that my tracks have improved a hell of a lot in the 9 months I have been doing the challenges - so much useful and sensible advice, which has contributed to the improvements.

Cheers,

dB

Here's mine, a tribute to the C64 loading tunes which were really my soundrack of the 80s! Make sure those tape heads are aligned!

https://soundcloud.com/jmstone/stone1-azimuth

Tracked in Renoise.

10 instances of PG8X
5 x Renoise 5 band EQ
2 x Renoise compressor
1 x Renoise maximizer
1 x Renoise reverb

I've updated my track (well, uploaded a new one really).
https://soundcloud.com/fabio-calzolari/ ... nk-bikinis

I've changed a note here and there, raised the bass a bit, adjusted the volume and made the finale stronger, as it was a bit "empty" and weak.

Maybe the kind ppl that liked, linked or reposted the first version (thank you!) will like to update the links :)
Ensoniq SQ1, Korg Wavestation A/D

stone1 wrote:Here's mine, a tribute to the C64 loading tunes which were really my soundrack of the 80s! Make sure those tape heads are aligned!

https://soundcloud.com/jmstone/stone1-azimuth

Tracked in Renoise.
Cool stuff! Definitely reminded me of those loading tunes, they were the soundtrack of my childhood too, actually I used to sometimes just load a game to listen to the music, not to play the actual game!
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

Simon Matele wrote:Here's my first ever entry into the KVR OSC!

https://soundcloud.com/simon-matele/sim ... kvr-osc-75

It is an early version, and still really raw without any mixdown adjustments.
Had to keep myself short so I could get it submitted in time ;)
Any suggestions on improvements are really appreciated!

Anyhow, it is a back to the roots tune of the glorious 80's when Irene Cara was the queen of the dancefloor! Tried to capture that 80's mixtape feeling :)
Lyrics are missing of course...

17x PG-8X was used.
For effects, reverb and delay was used.
Some compression on the kick, and limiter on the master out.

You guys really have set the mark for high quality submissions! Well done!
/Simon
Re-uploaded to the final version.

Cleaned up the mix with EQ, compressor and limiter.
Added some missing elements and made the transitions more seamless.

In the final version, 20x PG-8X was used.
I'd love to get some feedback on possible mixing improvements :)

Thanks for listening and all your comments!!

Looks like I'll be entering for this month too :) Just spent some more time on my project file for a few hours and think there is enough there for a nice track. Richard Semper, your bank sounds really good, thanks :) I don't think I would have enough time to sculpt all my sounds, though I was able to for quite a few of main ones..
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

I just started working on a track last night... haha (well, I had done some sound design earlier in the month). Will see if there's enough time to get something decent; very busy time for me right now for some various reasons...

z.prime wrote:I just started working on a track last night... haha (well, I had done some sound design earlier in the month). Will see if there's enough time to get something decent; very busy time for me right now for some various reasons...
Plenty of time then ...

27th - composition :idea:
28th - more sound design coz what you already did was all wrong :-) :dog:
29th - mixing :phones:
30th - Mastering/tweaking :borg:
31st - Upload :party: :tu:

Looking forward to hearing it ...

dB

doctorbob wrote:
z.prime wrote:I just started working on a track last night... haha (well, I had done some sound design earlier in the month). Will see if there's enough time to get something decent; very busy time for me right now for some various reasons...
Plenty of time then ...

27th - composition :idea:
28th - more sound design coz what you already did was all wrong :-) :dog:
29th - mixing :phones:
30th - Mastering/tweaking :borg:
31st - Upload :party: :tu:

Looking forward to hearing it ...

dB
Haha, that sounds about exactly right, lol :hihi: I'm going to start arranging asap though and I've already mastered while mixing mostly. For the master channel just a few final shaping and eq and done (takes an hour or two). Zprime, looking forward to your track too, I'm mostly in the same boat--just starting tweaking a very simple drum track I created a week ago (put 30 mins in) for about 5 hours. I'll also be using some melodies I created a few weeks ago while practing the piano using some music theory techniques. There might be entire melodies in this one that I played live, entirely :clap: which is a first :hihi:
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Thanks all for this contest. I thought I would throw in my late and hurried bit of noise this time just to get ready for future contests.

https://soundcloud.com/jim-hurt/jimhurt01simplestart

I used FL Studio 12
18 tracks worth of PG8x
doubled in Patcher 1
parametric eq2 13 copies
FL Limiter 13 copies
FL reverb 2-7 copies
Maximus Compresser 2 copies
FL Delay bank 3 copies
Mastered with Fruity Convolver and Maximus

Hi, this is my tribute this month:

Ricler - Come Fly Away

Host: energyXT 3.0

13 Instances of PG-8X.

10 Effects: Aradaz Maximer (2), Upstereo (1), MLimter (1), MEqualiizer (2), PanCake2 (3), Liquid Verb (1)

Tempo: 120.

Key: A major.

https://soundcloud.com/ricler/ricler-come-fly-away

Enjoy your flight and good luck for this challenge!
Ricler

soundcloud.com/richard-clermont

Hi guys!

This is our first OSC. It was quite fun to explore and design sounds with this 80' revival synth.
The title can't be more cliché. We were aiming for something in the line of Vector Hold and Mitch Murder (in a modern retro synthwave something feel).

https://soundcloud.com/syntaxproject/challenger

Host: FL Studio 12

32 instances of PG-8X:
2 for kick (one of them is used just once for a fill),
3 for main snare (1 for noise, 1 for attack, 1 for low end),
1 for softer snare
1 for clap
3 for toms (indentical but panned differently because I can't use note panning),
1 for open hat,
1 for closed hat,
2 for ride/tambourine (one for noise, other one for harmonics),
1 for crash,
4 for different FX (whitenoise and various synth stabs and hits),
2 for bass (1 for mono bottom, 1 for upper stereo harmonics),
2 for different pad sounds,
6 for synths,
3 for layered supersaw lead.

Other effects:
1x Effector - multieffect (just for hi-pass filter automation)
2x Love Philter - filterbank/trance gate (lowpass filter and "sidechain"/pumping automation)
28x Fruity Parametric EQ 2
12x Fruity Reverb 2
7x Fruity Limiter - limiter and compressor
5x Fruity PanOMatic (prefader volume automation)
1x Maximus - multiband compressor/limiter
2x Ambience - reverb
2x Fruity Delay Bank
6x Fruity Delay 2

Mastered with: VOS TDR SlickEQ, Maximus, Fruity Limiter

TT DR Meter: DR 10

The number of effects could be optimized and reduced but time is short, lazyness is strong. :)
Cheers!

Return to “Instruments”