VST - Dealing MIDI inside Ableton Live

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've made a VST with Flowstone that take audio as input and output the same audio plus some MIDI messages.
I loaded it inside FL Studio Patcher FX, linking audio to output and MIDI to a midiMonitor: it works well. It take audio, pass to output and output MIDI correctly.

Now, I try to do the same with Ableton, putting it before an Audio Effect (it's called PCSwitcher, and its before Guitar Rig 5):
Immagine.png
but Giutar Rig it is not able to catch MIDI messages from my VST.

Where am I wrong?

p.s. in Bitwig, which is pretty the same, it also works without any problems.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

my other modular synth is a bugbrand

But this could works on Instruments; Effects still don't get those MIDI messages, and I'd like to have the chain on the same Track (so I can drag/duplicate quickly).

On Bitwig this chain works without any problem, maybe an additional settings in Live?

Nowhk wrote:I'd like to have the chain on the same Track (so I can drag/duplicate quickly).
afair, you have to use another track :?

Yup same as Cubase, you have to use two tracks. It sucks I know, Bitwig is a great example of how easy it should be to drop in VST's in any order with the signals flowing through them.

I'm surprised that Studio One with their multi-instrument thing didn't allow you to use Midi generating Vst's as note FX, a big oversight...
"and the Word was Sound..."
https://www.youtube.com/user/InLightTone

your going to have to have a second one to catch the midi and throw it back to GR.

e.g.:

The first track contains a serum, and lfotool( which for this represents your plugin since its an audio effect that outputs midi), and GR.

The second track is a completely empty midi track. On that you take the midi from the first track, vst effect, output it to first track, guitar rig, and turn monitoring on.

You cant really tell from the screenshot but I midi learned the cc that lfotool is outputting to the dry/wet knob in gr. If you want to make it cleaner you could always group the 2 together

Thanks for the reply! I tried, but once I select the "serum" MIDI track on the MIDI TO dropdown, Live crash!

I thought it was my plugin, but also with LFOTool it crash. What's up?

usually thats some sort of midi feedback loop that makes live unhappy if you get a crash like that. Try leaving the monitor set to 'auto' or 'off' until you have the routing completely setup. I actually had all the routing setup first, then had to turn on monitoring to get it to pass the signal through afterwards

ezelkow1 wrote:usually thats some sort of midi feedback loop that makes live unhappy if you get a crash like that. Try leaving the monitor set to 'auto' or 'off' until you have the routing completely setup. I actually had all the routing setup first, then had to turn on monitoring to get it to pass the signal through afterwards
Even if I set all Off/Auto (on both MIDI tracks) Live crash. With every plugins I've tried. Uhm, should I open a ticket?

You could try, I dont know how responsive they are. You could also try the ableton forums(https://forum.ableton.com/ since they removed any links to it from their website). The only other thing I could think of is maybe some midi device you have plugged in is unhappy with the routing, could try disabling all those in the midi prefs for a quick check. Beyond that Im not sure

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”