Would love a little feedback on Zero-G's Nostalgia

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's not exactly the same as Nostalgia. While some of the core samples are overlapping with Nostalgia, patches aren't identical, as far as I know (especially since the Refill has Combinator patches, Nostalgia has no multis!). Nostalgia also has more sample content (just compare the list of equipment used on Jiggery-Pokery site to what's actually in Nostalgia: http://www.hollowsun.com/nostalgia/nostalgia.html)

By the way, I'm negotiating with Dom from Zero-G about producing an update of Nostalgia for Kontakt 5, with a full-blown GUI and the sweet new K5 filters... It's going to be a huge amount of work, but just so you guys know, it's very likely going to be updated. Some time. Hopefully this year.

This collection was one of my first findings, when I started to explore modern DAW possibilities. They were distributed for free then as Akai patches, I think it was shortly before Kontakt era, as I remember trying Intakt demo from CM CD those days. So yeah, Nostalgia is great, however in my case, buying the Kontakt set was kind of meta-nostalgia.

EvilDragon wrote:It's not exactly the same as Nostalgia.
Great news, I hate having duplicates on my computer :D
By the way, I'm negotiating with Dom from Zero-G about producing an update of Nostalgia for Kontakt 5, with a full-blown GUI and the sweet new K5 filters... It's going to be a huge amount of work, but just so you guys know, it's very likely going to be updated. Some time. Hopefully this year.
That's also great news, Nostalgia is a top product that will become even more hands on with a a dedicated GUI :tu:

Hopefully there will be some upgrade pricing :hyper:

Anyone thinking of getting the Jiggery Pokery Retrospective might be interested to know it is part of a special by Propellerheads, along with a number of other refills.
10 refills at $29.00 for all.

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... ster-pack/

Zombie Queen wrote:This collection was one of my first findings, when I started to explore modern DAW possibilities. They were distributed for free then as Akai patches, I think it was shortly before Kontakt era, as I remember trying Intakt demo from CM CD those days. So yeah, Nostalgia is great, however in my case, buying the Kontakt set was kind of meta-nostalgia.
Meta-nostalgia, I like that word! :)

For those who have got Reason 4 or later versions, I strongly suggest to invest in Retrospective which is like the refill version of Nostalgia.

Only costing $10 at this time: http://nucleus-soundlab.com/products/re ... son-4.html

And it can also be had as part of the Reason Booster Retro pack, costing $29

Excellent Hollow Sun quality, and unlike the Kontakt version the Reason version comes with dedicated interfaces :tu:

+1 for upgrade pricing for previous owners of Nostalgia if Zero-G comes to an agreement with Evil Dragon/Hollow Sun.

I think it's a great library and has some real gems in there, but as you said it could use an update. I believe the original was created around the time of Kontakt2, so I think it would be worth the effort to give this library some fresh life. :tu:

really love the new updated gui on nostalgia and and i love the sounds. phaedra is awesome as well so is epica. really good sampling of vintage synths and great presets

I find that the key to using Nostalgia is that the samples are just an oscillator source - you need to sweeten them up with effects/filtering/EQing to taste. Considering that most of the patches in Sampletank and Kontakt have that same sort of sauce, you can see why Nostalgia would sound flat.

Big difference in total MB usage. I think a good example of this is Digital Sound Factory content - you could look at how small the footprint is, but is totally out of proportion to what you can do with it.

My two cents.

i would bypass nostalgia and get phaedra if i was you.

EvilDragon wrote:By the way, I'm negotiating with Dom from Zero-G about producing an update of Nostalgia for Kontakt 5, with a full-blown GUI and the sweet new K5 filters... It's going to be a huge amount of work, but just so you guys know, it's very likely going to be updated. Some time. Hopefully this year.

Has this update been released? would love to have this library work for Kontakt 5 with a GUI.

Nope, had way too much other things to deal with this year...

I hear ya, no worries. :wink:

Any news on the new version of Nostalgia, Mr. Dragon?
I was about to purchase it and then I found this old thread.
Cheers.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”