Studio One 3 Announced!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I mix hard-rock and metal in Studio One, and I love it. Easily the best DAW for mixing for me. I don't know why, because the feature set isn't especially unique, but it just clicks in my head. I used Reaper for 3 years, and tied myself in knots trying to get the workflow right. The Studio One workflow is nigh on perfect.
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

lfm wrote:
NNevez wrote: But some features on Studio One seem pretty cool. The multi instrument and multi FX with parallel features and frequency splitters is very interesting.
Have a look at http://ddmf.eu Metaplugin - does it all in one plugin - multi instrument and frequency splitting and midi plugins and routing is just draw any you need. It even includes a crossover filter to use if you want.

One version as effect, and one as instrument - to use where appropriate.

Option with 2xoversampling makes loaded plugins work in double sample rate, improving antialiasing - without doubling sample rate for your full project.

Thanks for that! :tu:
I was not aware of Metaplugin, and yes, it does exactly what i want.
And way more affordable.. :D

xcentric wrote:
jens wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
Amberience wrote:
Kalamata Kid wrote:
Amberience wrote:The thing that pisses me off the most is that they've changed the behaviour of the "play overlapping events" function. It's no longer a system wide preference. They've made it session specific AND track specific! Meaning I need to go back through 40+ projects to turn it on for 40+ tracks inside of the arrange page. INCREDIBLY annoying!

And their reasoning during the beta phase did not make any sense to me: "it's so people can trade projects and have them sound the same on different systems" but now Studio One v2.0 projects don't sound the same in v3.0 ON THE SAME BLOODY SYSTEM!

Sorry for the rant... but I've been pretty much ignored by Presonus on this issue. Not impressed. They've screwed backwards compatibility without good reason imho. :dog:
Glad you caught that. This is a major disappointment for me as I do montage. To make sure I understand you I will have to turn on "play overlapping events" for each Project or need to do this for each audio track?

If this fails and already I understand that there are no audio Event Automation and event audio fx I fear the worst.
Yes, that is correct.

But even if you're doing new projects... and you don't have to update a bunch of old ones. You still have to turn this preference on every single time you add a track to the project, which is just bonkers!

I understand the direction they're going with this version - they've made it much more palatable to the edm crowd, with all of the multi instruments and FX chains and what not. But they've slightly screwed over the guitarists or band recording engineers, imho. It's very very common to record guitars and to leave tails echoing off over the next guitar part, to make everything seamless. It's very common to let cymbals ring over the next drum part, so you can easily comp together different drum-tracks. It's very common to have vocal takes blending into one another. And the overlapping events flag in the global preferences was a quick way to ensure you could do all this stuff.

Now?

Now you have to turn the function on, for individual tracks. Which is a workflow killer.

There are so many good things about this update, but that one change has totally f**ked me.

Maybe what they need to do to meet both those sets of needs is make it optional to have it on a global or per project/track basis?
It's not the big features, but rather the little facepalm-worthy fuckups like this one which make and break a great DAW - Studio 1 V2 has quite a few of them and I was really hoping they would have gotten their act together for V3 - but alas - obviously they haven't, which is a real shame, since it is so stuffed with great ideas.

Why oh why would there NOT be a global option for this? The only reason I can think of is that the developers are imbeciles who have their heads way up their own arses - and that's NOT how you want your DAW developer to be like at all.

Can't you just highlight all of the tracks then click the check mark 'play overlaps' in the inspector ?
No overlapping in v3? :O
https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.p ... 02&p=48053
michaeldoris say it can be done like you said.

chk071 wrote:@ Uncle E: Anything new on the VST support for Artist front? :)
I am also looking forward this, but I think it might be too early now for any type of arrangement.
I just hope it will happen!
------------
...and that's all I have to say about it!

Compyfox wrote:
crashedthecar wrote:As I said on another forum, I wish presonus updated s1 in smaller increments and endured us moaning and groaning instead of relying on a smaller group of beta testers.
Well, be happy that there is only a small(!!!) group of beta testers compared to host companies that abuse their users as "enhanced beta testers" (and they even have to pay on top of that).

S1 exists since 2009. It was a spiritual successor to Cubase SX3 (released 2005), it's being considered by some as the "better Cubase 4" and they had huge boots to fill on the market. I don't think that the company is pulling crap on their users, doesn't listen (hello? A lot of FR's being ported in the last 3,5 years without upgrade fees being involved!) and will vanish within the next 2-3 years.

Again, a prime example for this is Slate Pro Audio. They are going to release a full RAVEN 2.0 support for Studio One BEFORE Steinberg CubEndo. This is speaking volumes.

The company behind S1 is strong.
And they'd be stupid to drop both Notion (acquired 2013, Steinberg has yet to release their new Notation Tool after the core developers of Sibelius changed companies) and Studio One (existing since 2009 - now even tighter integrated into their hardware branch than ever).

So yes - you're entitled to your opinion. But I think you are just a bit off.
I've had a bit of time to cool off.

Sorry everyone I was being a dork.
I think it's an awesome update and credit should be given.
Scratch pads is something I've always been asking for and finally a daw has done it the way I wanted but even better.

I recant my earlier nonsense

Is any one else annoyed that there's still a half-second lag when clicking an an empty space to move the playhead? (locate when clicked in an empty space).

No matter how many hundreds of times I've clicked... it still throws me off. No other DAW I know of does this.

Robert Randolph wrote:Is any one else annoyed that there's still a half-second lag when clicking an an empty space to move the playhead? (locate when clicked in an empty space).

No matter how many hundreds of times I've clicked... it still throws me off. No other DAW I know of does this.
You are right, that is noticeably worse on v3

Kalamata Kid wrote:
No overlapping in v3? :O
https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.p ... 02&p=48053
michaeldoris say it can be done like you said.
I suggest you actually read it yourself before you quote something.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

One thing to remember is to disable services you don't use e.g. I never work with video or ara, so disabling ara and quick time makes the start up way quicker.

crashedthecar wrote:I've had a bit of time to cool off.
Scratch pads is something I've always been asking for and finally a daw has done it the way I wanted but even better.
Dude, we all got together and discussed this, and quite frankly we expected way more from you man. I as well as many others who discovered Studio One 3 upgrade's true awesomeness, were really disappointed in your earlier lamentation. It's gonna take some time for everyone to forget the damage you have done in our minds and on this forum for even the casual lurkers who just happened to stumble upon this subject, but I think that once the pieces are picked up, and the smoke finally clears, everything should be fine. My friend, you have a lot of work to do in making up to this community. Get to it! :hihi: :hihi:

Now back to our regularly scheduled program,
Studio One 3 Rocks Bro! It does not suck!

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Orbit-50 wrote: Studio One 3 Rocks Bro! It does not suck!
This is the problem! It is missing two other ingredients to be perfect :hihi:

EnGee wrote:
Orbit-50 wrote: Studio One 3 Rocks Bro! It does not suck!
This is the problem! It is missing two other ingredients to be perfect :hihi:
You silly guy EnGee. :hihi:

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Orbit-50 wrote:
crashedthecar wrote:I've had a bit of time to cool off.
Dude, we all got together and discussed this, and quite frankly we expected way more from you man. I as well as many others who discovered Studio One 3 upgrade's true awesomeness, were really disappointed in your earlier lamentation. It's gonna take some time for everyone to forget the damage you have done in our minds and on this forum for even the casual lurkers who just happened to stumble upon this subject, but I think that once the pieces are picked up, and the smoke finally clears, everything should be fine. My friend, you have a lot of work to do in making up to this community. Get to it! :hihi: :hihi:

Now back to our regularly scheduled program,
Studio One 3 Rocks Bro! It does not suck!

.-.
Thanks man, yeah I've been under done stress lately, like worrying about star wars episode 7 and what I'll feel compelled to share on this very forum if I don't like it.

Feel the weight on my shoulders

P.s. Smart arse! :x

crashedthecar wrote:Thanks man, yeah I've been under done stress lately, like worrying about star wars episode 7 and what I'll feel compelled to share on this very forum if I don't like it.
Feel the weight on my shoulders
Dude, that's a lot of weight to carry until December. Remember to be careful. No matter what the movie turns out to be, do yourself a favor and stop, think then post. It might not be as bad as your first perception so I'll just suggest to you to cool down and watch it again before you come back here and post about it. We're all counting on your precision judgement on this one. :hihi:

.-.

Well my reasoning is, I feel like a dick already so I have nothing to lose.

So orbit sorry mate, the minute I have an opinion, how ever strong.. ....
How ever drunk.....
I'll pm you when it happens
Take a hit for the team.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”