Moving and restoring a piano

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Recently I learned of a couple of old stand-up pianos that have been sitting for decades in one of the houses my grandfather owns. I'm pretty close to getting permission to move one of them into my house, and had some questions.

Of the two, one seemed very slightly out of tune and some of the keys stuck. It looked overall in good condition and is the one I am thinking has a good chance at being restored fully. The other one was really out of tune, and seemed to be older and possibly damaged just by the way that it sounded and it looked a bit worn. Both are 81 key.

Both had been sitting in this rotting house for who knows how long, I don't know what all they have been through, but I think that the first one is the one worth saving.

So my question is... if I get a hold of one of these two, what do I need to know about safely transporting them? The trip would be about 3 miles with some hilly portions and the risk of a pot-hole or two. I read that wrapping them in heavy blankets prevents scuffs and other damage to the edges, and to fasten it down. But is there anything else I need to keep in mind? I'd be moving it in the back of a station wagon.

Also once I get it home, what should I look for in restoring it? Actually, maybe it would just be easier at that time to post a video of it playing and some pictures of it and the interior on this topic to get an idea of where to start?

You might be better if you left the piano to a piano mover. Unless you have at least 3 others with you those things can be really a pain to move.

How big is/are the piano? check to see if your station wagon can, in fact, fit it...if it does not fit that is when you might want a truck instead.

I think 'bluedad', one of the moderators here, might be able to tell you more.

Good luck on the move/restoration!!!
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

So many piano's out there that are being sold for peanuts, or free. Some of them are in pretty good shape and just need to be tuned, others would need some pricey restoration. Just pointing that out because the price of restoration could get expensive. Make sure you really want the piano(s) before getting too involved.

http://www.murrayspianotuning.com/id158.htm

if you were in Boston I would suggest these guys http://www.deathwishpiano.com/ the first time I saw them their big black truck with death wish on it was in front of a church :lol:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

toine6 wrote:So many piano's out there that are being sold for peanuts, or free. Some of them are in pretty good shape and just need to be tuned
+1. Restoring a piano with stuck keys, or even tuning it is not a simple DIY job. If you let a professional do it, it will cost substantially more than it's worth these days. But if you decide to, the piano tech guy will be happy to do the transport from the house to his facilities and some weeks later deliver to your place.

If you want to rescue a puppy, select a healthy one! Plenty around...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

If it's interestingly messed up, you could just leave it as is and call it a "prepared piano"...
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I'd say get a professional to look at them first and give you a good idea of how to move it, cost to restore, tune, etc.

I know way too many people who have taken up the offer of a free piano and ended up with a half ton ornament that they can't get rid of.
Sweet child in time...

I'd also check on when they were made to see if it's worth it. Early in the 20th century there were a huge number of very cheap pianos produced that never really sounded all that good. Piano mechanisms also tend to age badly if they aren't cared for--unlike violins and wine, a piano doesn't usually increase in quality as it gets older.

So as has been noted, in many cases, if your main interest is in acquiring a good sounding musical instrument, a new piano will quite possibly (probably?) be more cost effective than restoring an old one.

Not mentioned yet, but before you decide which one, the first thing I would check (as you say they're old pianos) is the frame - wood or iron. An old wood-frame piano won't react well to being moved, but an iron frame should be no problem.

Either way, I recommend that you hire professionals to do the moving for you. It's no fun moving a piano. Piano movers have the experience and the equipment. It's worth it.

As for restoration, here's a video showing some of the stuff you should look out for...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFRIDRYfra0

I just bought an old upright from Habitat for Humanity for 50$, rented a trailer from Uhaul and me and my Dad moved it to my house, my two teenage sons also helped getting it in the house. easy peasy. Well, it was a slight pain, thing is heavy but it had wheels, hard part was getting it up the steps. If I had planned ahead I would rented or built some sort of ramp and just wheeled it in.

It still sounds good to me.

Definitely agree on the wooden frame - I believe it's a sign of a cheaply made piano, so you'll probably have many more problems in the long run. I've heard to avoid them like the plague.
Sweet child in time...

I wonder what happened to the piano.

:?:

I justnoticed this thread.
I'm a Registered Piano Technician; so if you have any questions feel free to ask
But you've been given some good advice already.
I'd pass on the old piano, but if your heart is set on it, get a technician to look it over and tell you what it's going to need. A tuning does not fix everything.

bluedad wrote:I justnoticed this thread.
I'm a Registered Piano Technician; so if you have any questions feel free to ask
But you've been given some good advice already.
I'd pass on the old piano, but if your heart is set on it, get a technician to look it over and tell you what it's going to need. A tuning does not fix everything.
The older one or just either? The not as old looking one seems to sound fine, just some keys stick slightly and it sounds very slightly out of tune.

Also it's the only way I'd ever get a hold of a piano anytime soon with my terrible income >.> Might as well give it a shot xD

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”