would you sell a virus snow to update your mac ?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Im no expert sound designer by any means but i get by and manage to make some patches I'm happy hearing. however lately I've been having so much fun with reveal spire and nailing the sounds i got the virus for in the first place with allot less hassle. I'm seriously considering putting my snow in the cupboard for a month.
just wondered about anyones opinions, I'm torn here, i could sell my snow and my 2.5 i5 macbook pro and upgrade to a fully kitted out i7 quad macbook pro with ssd running spire and serum.
the virus is a real great little bundle of joy i use it as my sound card as well however I'm really digging the idea of going totally portable with something like the apogee one and the macbook.

if spire didn't exist i wouldn't even be debating this as nothing else comes close to the virus sound for me, well the digital sounding acid patches i use it for. i love the hard and clip distortions and acid filter. well in fact the infecto as well. and with the updates coming soon I'm on the fence. i really love the eq and compressor modules on spire. in most situations I'm actually starting to prefer the sound of spire to my virus. maybe its because I've been using soft synths for so long. I'm aware that the virus is a digital softy as well.
the virus looks and sounds real nice though and built like a tank, and will always hold its value of some kind, and it means i don't have to spend a fortune on a new macbook every time. if i do this this is me for a good few years. i always feel i mess about too much where the virus is concerned instead of incorporating it into a track that the immediacy of spire allows for.
I'm still learning I'm no pro musician either and sometimes i feel ill come on further quicker simplifying my setup.

has anyone else ditched a virus ti snow for spire ?

But your current macbook pro setup isn't that bad either. Why in such a hurry to upgrade? You could mod it and place a SSD inside it as well. Anyway I for one would never give away a Virus Snow for Spire. Maybe for another hardware synth, but never for a software synth.
It's true that you can go further quicker being ITB but there's so much fun in using hardware.

I guess the peeps from Reveal-Sound would be happy to read this. :)

I never owned a Virus, but i'm with you in that Spire is my main bread and butter synth. It really sounds fantastic for most stuff, one of the few soft synths i know which is great for basses, leads, pad or percussion sounds. It's also one of the few which sounds really rich and versatile. The only other i would put in that department is Largo. All others either have a thin line of "sweet spotness", or can do this or that well, but can't be used for everything. I always wanted to have a Virus, but lately, i really tend to prefer the in the box thing i have with soft synths. Especially with the Virus Snow, which would be the only affordable option from the modern Viruses, it would be like having a soft synth, because you'd do the programming in the plugin anyway, with the disadvantages of only being able to use one instance.

zeusweiler wrote:I'm seriously considering putting my snow in the cupboard for a month.
Good call :tu:

It looks like you are on a merge to sell it, which considering the reasoning you left is making pretty strong case for it :wink:

cocoazenith wrote:But your current macbook pro setup isn't that bad either. Why in such a hurry to upgrade? You could mod it and place a SSD inside it as well. Anyway I for one would never give away a Virus Snow for Spire. Maybe for another hardware synth, but never for a software synth.
It's true that you can go further quicker being ITB but there's so much fun in using hardware.
Ye i get you man ye I could always upgrade the mac I have as it's the last non retina still on sale at Apple cheers, but programming the snow is basically on the virus control app anyways, and the timing issues are buggy through USB I've found ways round it though and it's not half as bad as the word that's out on it. If you start recording it down a bar or 2 early for instance it catches up. I don't get that hardware feeling from the little snow.
Main reason for updating would b retina display and my MacBook is a 13" non retina model I would b upgrading to a 15" which really helps on a laptop. I struggle for studio space in my flat.
I respect your thoughts and input though much appreciated cheers.

chk071 wrote:I guess the peeps from Reveal-Sound would be happy to read this. :)

I never owned a Virus, but i'm with you in that Spire is my main bread and butter synth. It really sounds fantastic for most stuff, one of the few soft synths i know which is great for basses, leads, pad or percussion sounds. It's also one of the few which sounds really rich and versatile. The only other i would put in that department is Largo. All others either have a thin line of "sweet spotness", or can do this or that well, but can't be used for everything. I always wanted to have a Virus, but lately, i really tend to prefer the in the box thing i have with soft synths. Especially with the Virus Snow, which would be the only affordable option from the modern Viruses, it would be like having a soft synth, because you'd do the programming in the plugin anyway, with the disadvantages of only being able to use one instance.
Ye mate that's exactly how I'm feeling lately, I love spire just now, thanks for the input much appreciated.

Passing Bye wrote:
zeusweiler wrote:I'm seriously considering putting my snow in the cupboard for a month.

It looks like you are on a merge to sell it, which considering the reasoning you left is making pretty strong case for it :wink:
Ye I guess it's better to see if I can live without it before making the call I don't want to rush the decision cheers thanks for replying.

Sell the Mac....
"Everything we hear is an opinion,not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective,not the truth." _ Marcus Aurelius

I was going to advise you to wait a while before making such a decision.
I work all ITB but would like to start a hardware setup sometime.

And I also think your Mac is too new to be worth replacing. How old is it? 2-3 years?
An SSD will put it on steroids. 13-inch? Mine is 15-inch and it's still too small. Do what I did, get a 24-inch display for little more than 100euro and bang!

If you want a serious upgrade, you'd have to go Mac Pro, skip the iMac, they have mobile CPUs anyway.
Or better, (I mean cheaper) go Hackintosh. I'm seriously thinking about it myself. My MacBook gets worryingly hot with a bunch of Synthmasters and Spires and reverbs :)
zeusweiler wrote:
Passing Bye wrote:

Ye I guess it's better to see if I can live without it before making the call I don't want to rush the decision cheers thanks for replying.

Karma_tba wrote:Sell the Mac....
Right to the point I like it. Lol cheers.

Mariosprt wrote:I was going to advise you to wait a while before making such a decision.
I work all ITB but would like to start a hardware setup sometime.

And I also think your Mac is too new to be worth replacing. How old is it? 2-3 years?
An SSD will put it on steroids. 13-inch? Mine is 15-inch and it's still too small. Do what I did, get a 24-inch display for little more than 100euro and bang!

If you want a serious upgrade, you'd have to go Mac Pro, skip the iMac, they have mobile CPUs anyway.
Or better, (I mean cheaper) go Hackintosh. I'm seriously thinking about it myself. My MacBook gets worryingly hot with a bunch of Synthmasters and Spires and reverbs :)
zeusweiler wrote:
Passing Bye wrote:

Cheers appreciate this.

Ye I guess you and others are right I've got the best of both worlds here right now and with the new spire update coming and CPU optimising there's probs no need to swap out The MacBook at the mo.
I'm gonna do just that, ssd upgrade and memory upgrade on the MacBook I have now, and I'm gonna keep the virus for a rainy day but it's going in the cupboard for now and if I feel the need to dig it out to replace patches in a track I've got that luxury I guess. and I'm gonna shift other stuff around and get a little sound card like the one or forte, ye I've got another 22" screen I can use sitting about guess ill just have to move some stuff about. Good call thanks folks.

Although the virus and spire sound quite similar and feature wise they are quite alike, to my ears i always thought that if something UHe like zebra and spire had offspring it would sound like a virus, I find the virus stabby sounding on leads i find it can b less warm than say Sylenth or spire but due to its nature it cuts through a mix and stands out if that makes any sense.maybe I'm speaking crap personal opinion. The phaser on spire sounds allot like the virus one for me also which is excellent on both synths,
Last edited by zeusweiler on Thu May 28, 2015 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Just out of interest: Does Apple give support for MacOS on Hackintosh? Can you even buy MacOS without owning an Apple computer? Isn't there much stuff built into MacOS which communicates with Apple's servers? Can't imagine they like people using other computers than their own with MacOS much.

chk071 wrote:Just out of interest: Does Apple give support for MacOS on Hackintosh? Can you even buy MacOS without owning an Apple computer? Isn't there much stuff built into MacOS which communicates with Apple's servers? Can't imagine they like people using other computers than their own with MacOS much.
Apple would rather litigate someone creating a hackintosh than provide support /slight_sarcasm.
It's the music that makes the science worthwhile.

Ye building a hackintosh. Would open a whole new can for me. I've heard allot of good and bad. Cheers

k-tronix wrote:
chk071 wrote:Just out of interest: Does Apple give support for MacOS on Hackintosh? Can you even buy MacOS without owning an Apple computer? Isn't there much stuff built into MacOS which communicates with Apple's servers? Can't imagine they like people using other computers than their own with MacOS much.
Apple would rather litigate someone creating a hackintosh than provide support /slight_sarcasm.
That's what i thought too. :)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”